Process to register PV in CoCT

I’m getting worked up :slight_smile:

I really wish we could separate the classification of what a system IS (and registered) from how it should be signed off… Installers are deliberately confusing the issue because it’s less work for them.

I spoke to Leon Swart this morning from City of Cape Town side. I submitted my stuff following to wat Rautenk have posted. So lets see what happens. My setup will be a Standby SSEG.

If I may …

Give it as you see it, we all learn something new.

What we then do with that info, that is each person’s own responsibility, and contrary to what is believed, ignorance is not an excuse.

And the best part comes in when installers/engineers jump in and confirm what is said … stops the debate dead on the spot.

1 Like

Yes, that is indeed now the case.
Remember all those old arguments? The fights? Me having to prove that a specific GoodWe with 3.8kW modules can never reach 3.5kW in a report so that we could get it approved? All that for nothing! The new changes (since 2020 I might add) is beyond good news and some munics are starting to copy it as is.

I have signed off a few (mine included) that is WAY over the 25% limit or the past, but non-exporting. CoCT approved them all. I have 7.2kWp, 10kVA and ZERO Export.

Makes two of us. I do not see the need now that SANS10142-1-2 is close to being released. That checklist in there should be sufficient, coupled with NRS standards and then on Pre-Paid Meters for non-export.

Welcome to the club, gave up on being worked up on this around 2018/2019… I only care now about safety and compliance.

But then, installers would argue with the Engineer. Even if said engineer puts the facts on the table. That is why I end up being more like Ryno from CoCT, quoting standards with minimal interpretation.

And why I would just say no and walk away from an installation.

Umm, CoCT asks and is mostly on it. So if it slipped by and they come to inspect, expect a nice lekker R7000 disconnect “fine”.

For options 1 and 2 on the document you will be required to sign the SSEG supplementary contract, for 3 onwards you will not. The supplementary contract also requires you to replace your meter with either a specific type of Prepaid or the AMI meter.

If you are caught out you will pay the price as this is Fraud, the requirements now are very clear…

@mariusm , seems we have another “compliance” fundi and one that writes better than I do and more active. Thank you for the inputs, much appreciated and much needed!

2 Likes

Masochist really, but yes, in a different industry. I always try my best to find the “not applicable” box, but when it’s not there…

I know of sign offs that are just as worthless as the coc’s floating out there, essentially you are paying for a signature

1 Like

Nope, then you are wasting your hard-earned cash, seriously.

I looked and found good Sparkies. I also found a good engineer, monies well spent!

I have NOTHING to worry about anything at all. :+1:

… till I get a bee in my bonnet and wonder, so, what does this new setting on the Venus do? :laughing:

“Release the bees!” – TTT, probably

@TTT,
I am looking for a good sparkie, who knows his stuff, tired of talking to people, where I know more than they do, would you mind sharing his contact details

Send me a PM. Note, sparkie does sparkie work, the programming of the system is yours to do, if that is ok.

If that is indeed the case, it should be reported. I cannot tolerate an ECSA accredited engineer or technologist not doing the right thing. We have a very strong Code of Conduct in place and you will get booted quite quickly if you just add your signature.

Hell, I’ll even give you the numbers to phone or email addresses to contact!

Yes, please share! I can do with a few more for reference.

If you are on this forum, you most likely know more than most electricians!

Indeed, that was added because the German market wanted it. Seeing as they are fairly far to the North, their winter insolation is quite a bit less than their summer insolation, so it is very common to oversize the PV array. When you do this, you are required to limit the maximum feed-in to 75% of the size of the array. It turns out that it is also useful to other markets, and the fact that it is password-lockable is enough to get it signed off. As far as I know anyway.

I’m not sure if this is sufficient. @Rautenk is probably the authority, but to my knowledge, a 15A breaker doesn’t trip immediately on a slight overload, it takes 5 times the rating for an immediate trip and at even slightly over it can take an hour before the thermal part of it heats enough to cause a trip.

(The reverse also happens, breakers that run at high temperatures trip below their In rating. Some even heat up due to sustained high currents and trip earlier. For example, I have 40A breakers that trip if you run them at 35A for long time periods…).

I know of a film company in CT specializing in drone productions. Licensed pilots, cost 1 bar plus for a drone. It takes 3 crew to operate, the pilot, the gimbal operator and then the actual camera man.

They managed to register themselves with the authorities so that they are basically seen as a airline. They can fly anytime and anywhere as long as they follow regulations same as any other plane, even over a airport.
They simply radio in to ATC at CT airport and get the clearances they need.

I assume they also have to file flight plans, and the drone probably squawks some kind of flight number so it can be identified on radar?

Edit: I also assume they would not be allowed to enter Bravo airspace… :slight_smile:

(No formal aviation experience, just watching youtube aviation stuff… which is entertaining and informative).

@calypso , as per what plonkster noted. While it seems a very good alternative, the City does not accept it. Their argument (wait for it) is that it can easily be replaced by a bigger one by the user.

Yes you read that one correctly… Please do not break your head on that one. Best is to use software limitation and get it done with.

You never noted which system you are planning on installing, nor if you will export… Or I just read like my behind again.

Man you guys are cooking… Keep it up…

Yes, the same as any other craft operating in public airspace. It probably costs them a boat load of money for all the licensing etc. but I guess it must be worth it if one of your film rigs gets close to the price of a small helicopter.

Edit, he specifically mentioned that they have flown over airports in the past, with the correct permissions of course.

The demo I attended was at the Dome in Joburg, for that event they filed a plan to operate within the grounds of the Dome and no higher than 4000 ft, every time they took off they still had to call in to ATC, I think at OR Tambo with every drone having its own ZS call sine similar to a airplane.

1 Like

Man, so many questions. Since a human life is not at stake, I suppose these guys are exempt from the most important rule in aviation, which is “Don’t fly VFR into IMC” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everyone seems to agree that the whole engineering sign-off on grid-tied residential (let’s say up to 60A breaker) is silly.

How do we realistically get the rules amended? Do I phone my congressman? :stuck_out_tongue:

also get rid of all the high costs and hurdles regarding feeding in !!!