Process to register PV in CoCT

Darn, someone got in before me.
Yes, concurred and very well described @mariusm! It should have been option 2. If CoCT accepted it, then that would be very interesting to understand why they did in the first place, but the answer usually is clear. If it’s on the list, then the admin guys really do not care that much.

If a mistake was made in the initial application, it can be corrected by “re-applying” using the same reference and just sending in the correct document and then following up until you get hold of the tech doing the work. These guys are clued up and can make a change in the system.

If you start a “new” application, then you will have to request the cancellation of the previous one and then start from scratch. So make sure you use the given reference number or you will delay the process.

Now that I do have the newest requirements open here is the process flow:

2 Likes

The next question is inversion limits for Grid-Tied installs. So let’s work on a 60A main breaker. To my knowledge that allows for 3.5kw of inversion.

3 Possible outcomes.

1. Install less than 3.5kw of panels
  2. Limit the inverter output to 3.5kw. - Allows for more panels but limits inverter output.
  3. Install 15A breaker between the inverter and the grid and then set the inverter to only accept 15A from the grid (rest from batteries+ solar). Limits Passthrough power options.

Anything that I am missing here or suggested best practices?

Option 1 if your inverter cannot be limited to the breaker size.
Option 2 if your inverter can be limited to the breaker size.

Here is my question on that: How does it work with Victron 5kva signoff, where one can change the max of the inverter?

On a 60A breaker, the feed-in limit at the point of connection is limited to 3.5kW.

That means you’re not allowed to pass more than 3.5kW backwards through the main breaker. This can be software-controlled, so if your inverter can curtail its output dynamically (and the setting can be password-protected by the installer), you can install a larger unit.

If you don’t feed in, you’re limited to 100% breaker size, which in this case is 13.8kW.

@Louisvdw’s screenshot limits the entire inverter… Is it possible to limit only feed-in?

Also, if you have batteries, you’re only allowed to charge them @ 25% from the grid, so 15A. Ideally you want this to be a separate setting. Currently on Victron equipment this can be approximated with the DC charge limit while your MPPTs charge the battery directly without limits, but if you’re AC-coupled with a Fronius, there isn’t a nice setting for battery charging only from grid unfortunately.

OK I see. You want this (also under Settings → ESS)

Now THAT should be password protected … right?

Are you 100% sure that if I have not registered too feedback, that I can run the MPII5kva flat out?

STANDBY SSEG - Passive standby UPS utilised as an standby hybrid SSEG

This is what was ticked on the applicationby the Sunsynk installer for a standard install, a Sunsynk with pv and batteries NOT feeding in to the grid

I had my friend ask the installer regarding the engineer sign off, was told not to worry about it unless they ask

You can set the password here.

Last time I check with Mosselbay they asked I get this.

p35:

I recommend even the old hands re-read the requirements doc - after the Sept 2021 update it is a much better overview.

Need @Rautenk to verify what you and Marius are saying, for it is good news if either or both are true.

As this can be a challenge If they ask.

That’s wrong unfortunately. A Sunsynk syncs the sun with the grid (sorry…), so it’s grid-tied and hybrid due to batteries. The fact that it does not feed in does not change that. The docs specifically call this scenario out.

This installation might be compliant with the regulations on a technical level, but the registration was (deliberately?) misconstrued. This is a violation.

The reason they do this is because any grid-tied thing needs a professional to sign off in addition to the installer and they don’t feel like the admin. Again, see the doc.

Edit: This is basically lying, and then planning to apologise when you get caught, but no, CoCT are the bad guys.

Very true … but it comes down to what the engineer signs off, cause on 60a breaker:

1. Feedback then Maximum Total Generation Capacity** of SSEG (kVA***) to the grid = 3.5kw
  2. No Feedback then Maximum Inverter Capacity (kVA) = 13.8kw

That would then mean, IF I understand it correctly, that the GoodWE’s are no more limited to 3.5kw array, as they used to be signed off as, because they could not be limited by software to 3.5kw.

And THAT would then be good news!!!

I read it as that it is option 3 (STANDBY SSEG - Passive standby UPS utilised as an standby hybrid SSEG) as it is grid assisted (point II), that is also what my supplier advised. Also cheaper as you dont need professional engineer signoff only a COC.

CoCT allows a “reasonable” person to fill this in and submit it, a reasonable person cannot be held responsible for incorrect submission cause clearly even technical people in the field cannot agree on what option.

What you should fill in, and the requirements i.t.o. of sign-off are plain as day, at least in the latest version.

The disagreement is on whether it should be required, not which category a system is actually in.

BTW, I’m personally in favour of scrapping the professional sign-off requirement for known systems, but that doesn’t make the thing a different thing. People are disagreeing on what should be required, not how to classify. But they’re now mis-classifying based on how they think it should be signed off, which is wrong.

It has a CT clamp that should be installed next to the main breaker. If that’s not a dead giveaway regarding being grid-tied, I don’t know what is.