Process to register PV in CoCT

Crap reason. Anyone can replace anything at any time. Planning grid-tied hybrid - no exporting back.

But for the most part updating the first post so these is a condensed summary of whats needed and what to expect

So short story long!

Some key items:
ā€¢ Yes, I did not register my setup, it was LvL 5 lock down, who knew drones would be flying.
ā€¢ Registered letter supposedly came 7 months later.
ā€¢ Disconnect was done 4 months after this date. Another person in my neighborhood also had the same, no Registered letter receive and or signed, also switched off.
ā€¢ PV ā€“ 4.2kw, storage 19.2kwh SLA ā€“ inverter 5kw psw low freq
ā€¢ My Setup is 100% off grid with no connection with COCT what so ever, inverter input has nothing connected, my only source of power other than PV is 2 x 360 watt Meanwell dc chargers that I can run of a small inverter gennie

End of 2019 LS hit just as I wanted to warm up some food in the microwave, I had a 1kw 24vdc system, no solar, it could not carry the microwave so that was the start of going bigger and adding panels, @Gman helped me get some nice 2nd hand solar inverts/mpptā€™s ect
The next few months it was sourcing parts/panels wiring and a week before the start of lockdown went out and got all I could afford that I still needed, was supposed to be a ā€œ3-week holidayā€¦ā€

lock down started, gave the wife some space and I was on the roof installing some panels and wiring, changing my 24vdc over to 48 and started saving on my eskom(coct) bill a week later, fast forward a year and just over 4MW later I get an email to install a new meter from CoCT. The only way they can know about my solar is in person or drone footage as I was still buying a min of R350 per month worth of units(AC, Stove, Geyser still on Grid), the month they switched me off was a heat wave and already over 1.2 grand down mostly on AC running 24/7 for over 2 weeks.

They said they need to install the new meter or they will switch of my power, so I complied and ended up installing it for them as their drill bits and grinding blades was so dull (just like Alan, but more on him later), I used my tools, they take pics confirm Iā€™m offgrid and off they went, a week later I was told that I did not respond to their letter and I need to decom my solar or they will switch me off, I asked what letter?

CoCT send me a copy of the letter dated 5 months prior, I can see itā€™s a registered letter and told them show me proof you delivered this to me as I never signed and or received it, they come to my house with the letter and switch my power off, just like that Iā€™m Off-Grid, yes, I did not register yet, but I was still busy setting up and sorting things out, is DIY ever finish?, neighbor down to road also got switched off same day, his system is small few lights tv ect so he opted to run extension lead over the wall from his neighbor till he got back on grid(his was an axpert connected to the grid)

It was mid Feb, sun was good so decided well you want to be like that, letā€™s see how long I can go as I donā€™t have 7.5k now to pay the fine and another 1.5k for Sparkies to CoC Disconnect. My solar production went from around 8.5kwh a day to 15-16kwh a day, life was good but season also started to change, good days I can bump the geyser up to 70c and run 2 days hot water or 3 days warm, season started to change again, some days I barley managed to make 2kwh from the sun, needed at least 6. Got the camping shower out the garage and plumed in a 12v pump and cooked 20-25l of warm water (my ideal temp was 48c) our water usage then also went down to only 2kl/m, wife did not like it so much but hey canā€™t really go anywhere and this was an experiment and fun.

Come June I decided (the wife) itā€™s time to switch on the grid again with a little one in the house heating is needed (was running gas mostly but canā€™t sleep with that on)

So after almost 4 months off-grid got my forms filled in, drawings done, Disconnect COC sorted and sparkies handed in my papers and photos with Alan De Jager, the most useless and sly person I have dealt with at CoCT.
Alan would turn down all forms, then when we(sparkies) take it up would just go MIA, then says I need to speak to this dept then another, gave me 5 persons phone numbers and 6 email addresses, all but one that worked, that one pointed me back to Alanā€¦, So yea, he was really upset I guess for me running off grid all that time, the one call centre agent was surprised when he found out when I called vs when I was disconnected(also just said, Alan is the only one that can sort this outā€¦)

So eventually after 2 weeks of this(I reconnected my solar so had to get Dcommed again while Alan pushed me around) I got hold of Leon Swart(via a contact), he looked over all forms and said he does not have a problem with, took it to his superiors that sign applications off and then took on Alan about why he does not want to restore my power, forms are filled in Disconnect COC was done all according to CoCT polices.

2 hours later after Leon did me a solid my power was restored, 3 weeks later Leon send me approval for my system/plans.

Next month comes the 7.5k fine, on our rates and taxes so if you donā€™t pay, they just cut you off againā€¦ so, by that time I was about 5MW at around R2.11/u so my savings indirectly paid the fine.

Since then, I have ordered a total of 56kwh of storage, and doubled up on my inverter size all which would hopefully go live in the next 2 months and adding more PV for winter. If there is one thing, I learned is that the City does not work for you (they had that slogan a few years back but changed it) You need to be able to take care of yourself, no one else will.

So the short, the CoCT polices, that they will send you a letter(registered) and give you 20 days(or something like that) to comply does not work, There is only one person working with the disconnects and thatā€™s a point of failure) It was stress full at times but also fun, I learned a lot, I save a lot and when I have excess generation I try to waste a lot(running an 2kw aircon to dry clothes, my washing line is inside the garage) made new friends, connections and helped others when they got(actually got the letter) to save them from being disconnected

All the best to the rest in their journey to show Eskom how its done!

1 Like