Process to register PV in CoCT

This refers to a Grid-tied hybrid non-feed-in PV (also known as an EG with no export option, with reverse power flow blocking)


  1. Complete CoCT application. Most important is system size. Ideally, the installer should fill the form out.
  2. After approval, install and get CoC. (You have 3 months to do this)
  3. Have system commissioned by the installer’s Pr. Eng/Tech.
  4. Send the completed form with Appendix 1, and all supporting docs back to CoCT.
  5. Replacement prepaid meter to then be installed by CoCT (Free and prepaid credits are transferred over)
  6. Wait for the final approval letter.

Documents that need to be completed:
CoCT Application for Embedded generation.
Single Line Diagram

New PV standard” SANS10142-1-2(2021) should be coming into effect sometime in the future. In addition, this will require:

  • More labelling
  • External disconnector
  • Single line diagrams on display
  • Installer shall hand over a Planned Maintenance and Operations manual
  • Test Sheet in 10142-1-2 shall form part of the CoC
  • Metal conduits for DC cables longer than 5m

You should talk to your installer, the way I have it is that he is doing the applications for his CPT clients, or at least helps them if they do it themselves…

:wink: : Well this does help a lot.

I think a summary guide will still be nice for people. It’s only going to get more complicated over time and it will be nice to have a summarised guide instead of scratching all over the forum.

I just don’t always have te time to sit down an type things out, but in a few words I could have put you on the right track, then you could make up your guide…

I am currently sitting on the hiway, driving. Can’t search for the documents now… But is on the CPT. Gov site under Sseg application.

Here is the form:

I’m maybe under correction, but what I did was to complete that form, no installer/sparkie or engineer noted, and sent it, applying to install.

Once I received approval to go ahead, then sparkie/installer/engineer was appointed and the process started.

Once all was in, using the same form, the relevant details of sparkie/installer/engineer and a serial number of the inverter was filled in, and resubmitted, as being installed.

Most of the stuff on the form cannot be completed until installed.
One should ask first for permission first … but who does that.:wink:

1 Like

Don’t forget for off-grid installations you need to submit a CoC with the application form and for grid-tied installations you also need a Pr.Eng sign off (unless they have removed that requirement already).

O, another suggestion, if I may - altered, is it was bad advice. :wink:

When you alter the install later, after approval, like increase the array, bigger battery kWh, we are supposed to send an updated form to them, as I was told a long while back by their department. Not sure if it is still applicable.

I do know that if the inverter serial number changes, or is replaced with another make, one is also supposed to submit an update form.

I doubt anyone’s going to set with an aerial photo, counting… measuring… excuse me sir… it appears you have 3750W up there… that exceeds your limit!

In my case, the maximum feed-in capability I have is just 3400W, even though the modules are 3800W. I don’t intend to create any unnecessary headaches for myself during the application…

Very good point. :+1:

Just FYI, an acquaintance in Bellville got a R7000 fine for having an Axpert system connected that wasn’t registered, nor compliant (obviously). They caught him via aerial photography and verified via drone.

Had to physically remove the panels, confirmed via drone, and pay the fine before being allowed to re-apply. Disconnection wasn’t enough. Now busy switching to complete off-grid for those circuits with a changeover switch, similar to what a generator would do.

I’m a bit worried about my inherited system… It should be compliant (Fronius with feedback limiting in SW) but not registered.

@Gh3kko share you 3 month experience with the city. Guys, get your coffee ready because this one wasn’t a fun one.

They shouldn’t be using a drone in Bellville as it’s within 10km of Cape Town International airport.

Reminds me, on another forum, after one too many side remarks on Victron ito price and “messy wiring” followed promptly with advice to install Voltronic off-grid inverters, connected to mains DB’s with solar panels … it is cheaper see … than NRS certified options, I took it upon myself to share a view views there.


1 Like

Zooming in a bit they’re above the yellow circle :slight_smile:

Aside: Didn’t know this existed: No drone zones South Africa – Google My Maps

The list of power stations there is actually more interesting, as well as the National Key Points… :eyes:

@calypso and all, the process is really painless!

Having gone through it a few times, got the bruises from arguing with CoCT and sometimes winning.
The “new” form is very simple and straight forward.
So as per @TheTerribleTriplet 's post the steps are clear and easy:

  1. Complete the form, but leave all the installer details blank. Only complete information on your system. Most critical is the actual system size. And do not follow TTT’s advise here. Be honest on the size as when it comes to sign-off and the Pr. Eng/Tech is a stickler for the rules you will not pass…
  2. Get the quotes and prices for installation if you have not yet done so, ideally get your installer to do the application!
  3. Wait on the Approval to Install letter, this will give you 3-months to install (if this was not changed yet)
  4. Install the system. Ensure you get the CoC from the electrician and co.
  5. Have it commissioned, either by the installer’s Pr. Eng/Tech (or by me because I am just the best!)
  6. Send completed form with signed Appendix 1, commissioning report and all the required paper works.
  7. Wait to get that pre-paid meter installed
  8. Once that is done wait for the approval letter…

I personally had an install system and then went to the application stage and then got the paper work in order (Single Line Diagram, CoC, etc). Once I got hold of the right people it took less than 3-months (earlier this year). But it can take around 6 for the final letter.

Note that if you are NOT EXPORTING you are allowed to energise the system once you have Commissioning sign-off. Only if you export are you not allowed to run the system until CoCT approval.

And feel free to ask on this forum for clarification, we provide it for free…


Just to clear on the drone part, yes, they got drones but they got way more advance tech stuff from GIS. Don’t ask me questions, all I can say is, I can even count the tile brackets on your roof and 360 arround your house. Every year arround March/April/Mei the system gets updated.

There, I fixed it. :wink:

@Rautenk, A friend of mine had a Sunsynk installed by a master installer and he marked the system as a Standby SSEG ( page 2 ) under Type of eg installation, is that correct


  1. STANDBY SSEG - Passive standby UPS utilised as an standby hybrid SSEG


  1. STANDBY SSEG - Alternative supply


From the Requirements doc (p13):



and p36:

By my reading of the above, if the inverter is doing any kind of blending of PV or batteries with the grid, “Passive standby UPS” is out.

And “Alternative supply” is out if any charging / input to system is possible from the grid.

I’m not sure if a Sunsynk can be configured to do either of the above. It is clearly designed as a “Grid-tied hybrid” device:

IF it’s operating as one of the other options, which I highly doubt, money was probably wasted on it.

With or without modules? If it was noted as SSEG then I would assume with modules, thus it should actually be no.2 Grid-Tied Hybrid SSEG.

The newest guidelines (September 2021) has been nicely updated. Section 1.4 gives a very good explanation of each different type as per the application.

Standby (interconnected with electrical installation)
As defined for two types:
a) Passive standby UPS utilised as standby hybrid SSEG
b) Alternative supply
i. Compulsory external automatic change over switch must comply with requirements detailed in Appendix 4.
ii. Geyser electrical heating element supplied by both solar PV and the local network with an automatic switching between AC and DC is considered an alternative supply to the geyser heating element.