Just have a think, ICE cars EVs and power generation

I heard that Australia had banned incandescent lighting (to prove how green they are)
Pity about their coal exports:
Uploading: image.png(1)…

USA sales figures for the 1st Q 2022…. Really bad, YoY especially.

Groetnis

Right now I must say I’m not sure if the bad ICE sales are due to electric taking over… or just because of the whole stock/supply/demand/price/chip-shortage/I-have-no-money-after-lockdown thing.

The second-hand market in the USA is apparently crazy (of you believe the Kansas/Florida youtuber alliance :slight_smile: ), which also suggests that second-hand ICE might be taking a much larger bite out of new-ICE than we might know.

There are plenty of people also who are holding on to the old ICE until they see what EVs are doing, price-wise. My most recent purchase is now 3-years old (and 6 years from manufacture) so I’m not quite there yet. At least 4-5 more years by my normal car-buying cycle before this question comes up again. I expect we’ll buy one more long-distance ICE runner (or maybe a hybrid), but hopefully in 5 years or so, one of our cars will be an EV. We’ll see.

We’re certainly getting to a point where people are at least thinking about this stuff.

So interesting the times… A few points may be, and remember its only my opinion.

The general sales trends are down, maybe not for Teslas and some Chinese BEV brands. We can speculate a little about this. The Ukraine situation has some effect on this, war is never good for supplying stuff. Some electrical harnesses from Ukraine are currently on hold. Neon gas from Ukraine are no longer available to Chip manufacturers, this will impact the World soon, we have not yest had shortages due to this.

The whole China supply chain shortage and the pandemic had an influence on production as JIT deliveries were impacted. The supply chain inside of China were obviously way less impactful to their domestic production and deliveries.

Interest rates are going up making financing more costly, fuel prices are going up, and has done so for some months, making people think twice before buying a car. Food pricing has skyrocketed, literally eating away disposable income that could have been use to pay car financing.

And for years already, especially in the US, car fleets are getting older, people are waiting longer, in general, before replacing the old car with a new one. There is the further fact of uncertain times as perceived by us people, normally causing some undecidedness in making decisions. Wait and see….

On top of all this is the fear of even more and higher interest rate hikes, making money less capable in purchasing the same value as before. Also in addition, the not yet finalised banning of ICE by some future date. On top of this is the clamp down on emissions and future targets of lower allowed emissions for ICE.

A toxic combination to cause fear in the buyers minds, causing paralyses. Maybe this has some bearing on car sales and the relative performance of BEV vs ICE?

Groetnis

BEV sales in the total fleet, ie ICE included

So indeed this indicates loss of market share to EV. Edit, the previous 3 year period growth in the chart.

Groetnis

Now there you go @BigAuto!!

1 Like

Nobody, as far as we know (the Chinese may be the exception, we don’t know, likely they will be as they have “copied” almost everything else) are using any of the patents….

Groetnis

And another big auto changes focus…
VW to scrap dozens of models and focus on premium market

And read the above for free, not behind a paywall…
https://www.ft.com/content/431c9f31-5438-439b-b0c7-ccb4d96d1733

Edited so it is readable :wink:

BYD stopped all ICE production

POSTED ONAPRIL 5, 2022 19

China’s BYD confirmed that it stopped production of pure ICE-powered vehicles in March, and is now exclusively offering BEVs and PHEVs. The announcement was posted on BYD’s accounts on Twitter, Facebook and WeChat.

According to the company, it is “the first automotive manufacturer in the world to stop the production of fuel combusting vehicles”. This bold claim is not entirely true, since there are brands like smart which has gone fully electric since 2019, discontinuing all ICE-powered models from its range. However, most automakers will make the move closer to 2030, when major markets like Europe will begin enforcing sale bans of ICE-powered vehicles.

I was unaware that BYD even made ICE-vehicles.

2 Likes

In Numbers:

Although way behind Tesla, BYD is already the 4th most valuable car company, and also on the rise. While BYDs 2021 electric vehicle sales were only 63% of Teslas sales, which sounds like a long way behind, but up until March 2022, BYD also produced internal combustion vehicles, and total vehicle sales for 2021 over 730,000 which is getting closer at 78% of Teslas sales. Although not all EV sales, BYD spent 2021 transition production to all plug in vehicles, so 730,000 better represents production capacity, and with over 400,000 EVs on back order, production capacity is key.

In total electric vehicles produced per month, BYD was almost level with Tesla by the end of 2021.

Regards

And the key for me = They make small affordable EV’s (my sort of EV ;))
https://insideevs.com/news/402746/byd-100000th-yuan-bev/

You can book a viewing, in Zimbabwe :zimbabwe: :grimacing:

BYD Zimbabwe

Groetnis

2 posts were split to a new topic: China Lockdown

Oh I was well aware that BYD is beeeeg in EVs, and even buses. I wasn’t aware they made ICE-vehicles at all. So the news, that they stopped making that particular kind, struck me a bit like this:

Potatoes are naturally gluten-free.

A friend of mine then corrected my thinking, explaining that the oil they put on this (typically palm oil) might not be gluten free… hence the label does make sense. And similarly, you alerted me to the fact that BYD did make ICE cars once upon a time :slight_smile:

Yup. With you there. I see Toyota finally published pricing on the BZ4X. Starting at 42k USD. Almost 3k below the model 3. Of course that’s 650k before taxes… so it’s not exactly in what I consider the “affordable” bracket yet, but we’re finally beginning to move in the right direction.

The scary thing is no new car can be considered “affordable”
I just checked even a VW Polo now starts at R315 000 and then its still on 14" steel wheels…

But yes its great to see more average joe EV options available not just R1M+ options.
Heck you can go and buy a Mini Cooper SE for R650K quite a bargain since the petrol Cooper S is R580K so that’s only a 14% premuim for the EV option.
I think you will get that 14% back quite easily over the 200-300K KM lifetime of the car once you consider parts and fuel.
I am pretty sure if you ask a Mini dealership what is the replacement quote value for just a gearbox on a Cooper S your eyes would fall out, not to mention all the 1000’s of other moving parts in that ICE engine.

1 Like