3rd Group Buy - Grade A Fully Matched Lifepo4 Cells

9s is a bit more difficult. If you want to stay under 30V, that means 3.3V per cell. Which to me feels too low, but the problem is that I am too steeped in the “old way” of doing things. In my mind, I want to be able to safely take my cells to at least 3.4V.

Yeah 9S is pretty hard even at 3.4V I would be hovering around 30.6V and I think a pack disconnect at 30.6V will easily take me to 33V
I guess the argument can be made that at 3.4V there is a low risk of a high cell disconnect, but the consequences could be very severe :confused:

Not to be pedantic… okay okay… to be a little pedantic… you mean the likelihood is low, but the consequences are severe (risk = likelyhood x severity) :slight_smile:

My Engrish failed me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@TheTerribleTriplet
Has this initiative been out on the long finger or is the hunt still on for a reliable shipping agent?
Or have you decided to bite the bullet and see how shipping pans out?

Where do we stand?
Got my SARS importers license, the local importer is in place and in contact with Amy, insurance also being arranged, Alibaba order is placed and the invoices for the cell payments have been sent out, first payments have been received, so by Monday, Tuesday next week, we are buying 124 cells.

1 Like

Very good, please keep the board informed. It’s a path I may walk myself some day.
Your experiences will go a long way to deciding whether I do or not.

Ditto. Me and @neliuszeeman recon this is the first run, we think we’ve got all the angles covered, so there will be a 2nd round at the very least.

Titibit:
So I asked, where would I collect the batteries grossing at +700kg, which is not the issue, but the 62 boxes are, as I would need to hire a trailer.

Turns out that with lithium batteries being dangerous goods, you need:

1. a drivers license that reflects Dangerous Goods on the PrDP. I only have Goods and People,
  2. the appropriate signs are displayed on the vehicle for the dangerous goods being transported,
    In case a wide awake Cop stops you, or worse, one is involved in an accident, as it would be VERY difficult to explain away 124 dangerous goods cells being transported without the relevant signage and drivers license… :laughing:

All these little thingies we are picking up along the way.

Transporting ones own sells for private use, not an issue at all.

Actually, I had heard about this, but I hadn’t heard if they were for your private use it was OK.
I must admit I would’ve risked under a bakkie load anyway.

Was also indicated to me that the people loading/dispatching the goods COULD refuse to load/release the dangerous goods. All depends on who you get the day you have to collect.

It is when the shiite hits the fan, that it becomes heavily dependent on the authorities stance at the time about what was done, by whom, that can cause a shiite storm, or not.

But it is not an issue, there are delivery oaks who who does this as their day job. So it is sorted.

Well if it isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg you’re in business.
I am just wary that the cells made it from China on rough seas without this palaver.
Now all of a sudden they have to be treated like unstable nitroglycerine, because somebody needs to be paid to use a sign.
The public can’t read your sign, because you are only allowed to transport people, which obviously don’t need any care being transported at all.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s packed in a wooden crate, in foam and all, and it just survived a sea voyage… but it is dangerous goods that’s going to blow up the warehouse and we’re going to charge you storage…

That’s the funniest bit of sarcasm I’ve read all week :slight_smile:

Well, TTT you are a pioneer.
I too established that “could refuse” or “could cost” or “may be required” were caveats at every verse end.
Being out of the country I just couldn’t have put a family member through these trials.
Not that they wouldn’t oblige me, it just wouldn’t be fair.
I know you like to do things right and are cost-conscious, which is why I am following this venture keenly.

1 Like

Thanks @Phil.g00 , @neliuszeeman the one who brought me here, he did a LOT of the work.

And also a big thank you to you, for pointing us in Amy’s direction. She is as astute and bends over backward to get things sorted and done right.

You picked up on the coulds and maybes. :slight_smile:

There are so many little things that we picked up asking quotes from like 10+ importers, each one adding to where we are today.

But truth be told, I’m pooping in my pants … huge money involved here on utter trust.
So the sooner I can buy the cells for us, that the process has started, the more relaxed I would feel.

Having said that, I CAN see this happening again, same process, once we’ve gotten the “could’s” and “maybe’s” sorted.

And a few months wait while they are at sea, I don’t envy you.
I am sure it will be worth it though.

THAT is out of our control and there is insurance taken out too, so no little worries there - should be no worries.

Where I will start to worry again is when the cargo has arrived in Cpt harbor, until it is in my hands

Then local couriers take over … and we start again with Amy. .:slight_smile:

Were you charged the $400 ‘dangerous goods’ levy by the shipping agent ?

The cells haven’t even been ordered yet, what we are speculating on is how many of these miscellaneous levies like what you are referring to, will there be when the cells make landfall.
It has the potential to be a minefield.

I have been at this for over two months now. The problem is not getting the cells to CT but the handling / clearance is the issue. One must have a good agent here in CT with reciprocal agent in China to coordinate the process. I decided for the China agent to collect my pallet Ex Works from the supplier - that way my agent controls the complete process. All the shipping lines have now jumped on the bandwagon to charge the $400 ‘dangerous goods’ levy. Some suppliers or forwarding agents circumvent this by not declaring the goods as ‘dangerous’ . The problem is if caught out you are sans your shipment. My small order of cells ( only 28 ) will be shipped out of China on Monday.
I will gladly share my experience with everyone once the order has reached me.

The seller in China really has an excellent reputation and has shipped all over world with stellar references, so the journey until SA should be OK.
You are right though, the handling/clearance issue at this end seems to be geared up to hold your goods to ransom.
And those little extras that you may need also seem to differ agent to agent.
The agents are vague, and all too keen that the goods get shipped.
It seems they’ll tell you all the fees once the goods are in their control at the docks.

This is typical of the kind of thing shipping agents are saying in one version or another.
How can check if it’s true?
I doubt you’ll ever see paperwork with a receipt from the shipping line?
A couple of things I was able to check weren’t true by the way.
It all just feels like your goods are being held for ransom, and they make it up as they go along.