3rd Group Buy - Grade A Fully Matched Lifepo4 Cells

Your agent here in CT should be able to give you a costing of the complete process , each and every item. That is what I got from my agent before I placed / paid for the order to the ex works point. From Guangdong Province the goods will travel to Hong Kong and shipped from there.
My agent here only expects the shipping payment once the goods are on the ship and pre-cleared through SARS Customs. Also ensure that the supplier uses the correct Customs Tariff (HS codes) on your Pro Forma invoice , otherwise you may be liable for import duties. There are currently no import duties on LFP cells , only Customs VAT.

Yes, that was one of issues, I had to point out to one of SA shipping agents that wasn’t true, (in his quote I had to pay tariffs.)
Try as I might I couldn’t get a cost for the complete process from any Durban shipping agent that deigned to return my calls.

Good luck with your order. I will share more info soon.

Please do! Thanks for sharing these details so long.

If you don’t mind it would be great if you could give a breakdown of everything once you have them in your hands such as itemized costs, dates etc.

I think of you overall had a good experience that some would also like to get a hold of your agent as well.

This is TTT’s group buy i am not part of this one, just a keen observer who got the runaround during my own enquiries of shipping by sea.
I eventually decided to do a single cell test order by air, ( another thing SA shipping agents told me was impossible).
I got a quote in minutes from China, it wasn’t cheap, but I had my cell delivered to the doorstep within a week to 10 days. No extra charges.
it was only a single cell, but they would’ve shipped a pallet.
There was also no $400 levy.

I certainly will.

I also shipped in 10 cells by airfreight before Covid - DDP ( delivered , duty paid ) without any problems. For bigger quantities it will become very expensive.

Yep, that’s how I did it. Expensive but a known amount.
I did it during COVID, and think shipping lines are milking that angle as well.
But still shipping by sea looks way cheaper, but let’s see. It will be very interesting to compare both your and TTT’s experiences and costings.
At landed prices that they could/should be they are a very attractive solution.

I’d definitely be interested if there is a second round. Being able to just change my battery from 8s2p to 16s when I upgrade to a 48V system sounds appealing.

2 Likes

Will check on the dangerous goods surcharge.

We have been warned that the charges can be ‘official dependant’ on day of getting it out of the harbour, a cost that is pencilled in by the importer.

I got a ‘feeling’ that it could be a ‘booming’ business for some ‘officials’ as every quote we got alluded to said same ‘practice’.

We have had written quotes, refecting all charges. The last order of 124 cells not that much lower, bar the VAT.

There seems to be a sweetspot ito a full palette vs not a full palette. Cost differences very small.

1 Like

Just a lot of effort and time involved.

If we can make a few cents on the dollar we are so going to keep on doing this if all works as advertised.

Also, if it is a regular thing, warranty cells can be brought in if needed in next shipments.

And because no funds have to be borrowed upfront, all done cash upfront, it makes a huge difference in price. Not something to ignore.

We also want to, in future, import the BMS’s in same shipment via Amy, she said she can do it for us.

Which will make a 280ah grade A cell bank so much more affordable methinks, where @Louisvdw can maybe then also make a few cents on his software interface to the Venus. Just putting that out there too. :smile:

3 Likes

Knowing the minefield that this venture is.
I would certainly consider this option rather than re-inventing the wheel for cents on the dollar.
I hope it takes off and there is no reason why it shouldn’t, the market is crying out for it.

1 Like

Right, next level, to pay Alibaba … I have asked ABSA’s insights, they can:
From an ABSA Bank perspective, the SWIFT option would be applicable for import payments provided the client has “Customs Importers Code” issued from SARS.

The following charges would apply:
Commission
“Shared and Beneficiary Charge Selected”
0.70%
Min R250.00 Max R800.00
Swift Fee R160.00

Additional Charge if “applicant to pay all” charges is selected
0.55%
Min R125.00 Max R615.25

Forward Exchange contract could also be an option to cover against exchange rate fluctuations.

Alibaba Options:
See the CC fees …

It is cheaper if you pay all the fees. On the other side your seller will just ask you for a flat fee that is going to be much more (that $40 is also what I have seen). Then you also need to get the seller to accept that you will be paying that fee (they don’t always trust that you will and will ask you the $40 anyway).

With FNB I could pay the full fee for less than R400 (a while back) which is way less than $40+$40
Also with FNB you set the business account up once with the importers code and then any future payments is easy. I have heard ABSA is a bit more hassle and Standard is just impossible.

1 Like

To get the Trade Assurance, Alibaba must be paid, and not the supplier direct. That $40 fee is therefor Alibaba’s fee for that transaction.

Not aware of any other fees other than the actual Rands to Dollars and all that goes with that.

Or am I missing something?

Will stay with ABSA for the moment … they sent me:
The attached outward payment form (ABSA 702) must be completed and signed for all outward payment transactions and dropped off at one of our International Banking branches along with invoices in order for us to process.
Alternatively, instead of dropping off the form an indemnity (ABSA 6145) can be completed, signed and emailed to your banker for upload on our system.
We may then accept emailed instructions sent to our generic mailbox xxxxx along with invoices.

All I need to make ABSOLUTELY sure of, is that Alibaba gets paid, correctly reflected their side, to not delay anything.

AHA, found it.

This is how one pays Alibaba via ones bank, direct, but one has to go in to ABSA to do such.
https://service.alibaba.com/page/knowledge?pageId=128&category=9207651&knowledge=21405798&language=en

One can register for doing it via email to ABSA, but methinks it is better to go into the bank and do it.

Sign me up for the next.

1 Like

Paid Alibaba today using a ABSA Swift payment … boys and girls, SARS is EVERYWHERE!

Before ABSA paid, you have a host of details to complete … I can see why it is “complicated”.

It seems some of these guys are even considering 18s batteries so maybe get two extra. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@TheTerribleTriplet,
Is there any mechanism to get landed cells from Cape Town to the hinterland?
I suppose that’s a consideration for a later date.
Better to get the first shipment ironed out.