3rd Group Buy - Grade A Fully Matched Lifepo4 Cells

These are 280Ah Cells?
So 896Wh (at 3.2V nominal)
So R3906.25/kWh

Yes.
To get it cheaper, join the next import. Read, take the financial risk.

Not sure about this sum?

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to say if this price was good or bad, it’s just that @jarrettj asked about the per kWh price and nobody answered.

To get the price per kWh, I took 280Ah x 3.2V = 896Wh = 0.896kWh
If each cell is R3500 then the cost per kWh = R3500 / 0.896 = R3906.25/kWh

1 Like

Now I’ve learned something new too …

100%, I answered in general for the price one sees on Alibaba is nowhere NEAR what it costs to land in SA … and then to get it delivered to one’s house, need a dangerous goods permit to cart pallets of cells around.

Yes, everyone has a “connection”. But damn, it is a shocker to actually see the costs.

1 Like

So I’m going 18 cells …

Have an MP500VA which I use for bulk charging. Set it to Victron’s default Lithium profile.

So I can do 8 per session, using daytime spare solar power, as the MP is connected to the house.

2nd step is to top balance all 18 with an EV-Peak to 3.65v, all 18 in parallel.
These 2, being 18 cells, are separately charged on the side with the EV Peak, waiting for the other 16.

560ah 12v bank, Delta looking good at 254w bulk charging!

Will see what happens at >95% SOC.

The previous 5 x 280ah cells I connected in with the 2nd Life 100ah cells in an 18 cells bank, was impressive.

Doing it with 18 cells batched matched A Grade 6000 cycle ones, I’m seriously impressed with the quality of the charging for the 1st time in 4-5 months.

1 Like

12v 560ah bank …

What is the cost for the bank all in - 18cells and BMS?
Hey and don’t add your expensive time :wink: (just hardware)

3x UP5000 Pylontechs (so 300ah) = 80k including VAT and shipping.

18 cells with BMS … R 65 500 excl shipping to your door.

Pretty good to be honest… !

Thought so too when @Paul did the sums of risk/warranty versus lower costs.

What got me to go bigger cells, was the amount of wiring coupled with the more cells you add to get to like 280/300ah, the more points of potential failure.

Took me a while to get here, made my mistakes, but when I start selling the extra 13 x 280ah cells, and some of the 100ah 2nd Life cells, I should have this bank for “free”.

18 cells, as per @Phil.g00 and Will’s idea of longer than 20 years at 3.45v max.

And IF one cell has a problem, take it out, 17 left, or 2, 16 left, or even 3, 15 left.

IF THAT happens, then I have bought dud cells.

But so far, with Amy selling, I don’t think that will happen.

1 Like

Thanks.

Is there any feedback from this group that ordered the cells with the intention to build a 16 Cell battery … how are they doing , was it a success , was it easy to build? will you do it again?
I currently have 12kW Blue Nova Battery which works Kindoff ok, but not 100%.
I would also want to upgrade the storage. SO, if you have build a DIY 16 cell LiFePo battery and you consider selling, let me know.
Will it work well with my current setup?
I have a 5K Victron MultiPluss II and the current batteries are 52Volt setup
PM me or call on 082 469 6666

Doing fine. Yes. Yes. Yes. :smile:

Recently sold 16 of my cells.

The cells now cost, in China, ± R2550 depending on R/$ … then add import charges, taxes and VAT, and couriers. Still, good value for money IF you accept the warranty lies 100% with the buyer, unless one wants to ship warranty cells in from China, at their own cost.

Bought 3 cells recently, they arrived at my door for ±R8.5k, before the rand tanked.

But, personally, would not mix a DIY bank with your BlueNova brand name. Add another BlueNova bank rather.

One use to be able to buy 4 or 8kW BlueNova Batteries. Now the smallest 52V is a 14.5kW battery and it cost R168 000 each… a bit rich for me.

1 Like

Geez, ok, with you.

Sell your BlueNova, go DIY? :smile:

Are there more plans for a bulk buy of cells? Lithium batteries SA are not selling cells for the DIY’ers any more.

Yes, depends on volumes. Need ±200 cells to import viably.

Or I can put you in contact with everyone, to bring in a few cells.

Also saw this recently: Feeler: Bulk Lithium Battery Import (100Ah / 200Ah) | MyBroadband Forum

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 10.41.15
Not the greatest time though? Although still a lot better than last week!

1 Like

Yea, I’m actually a little sad that the interest rate hike came BEFORE month end. Higher interest rates always causes an inflow of money which improves the exchange rates, and that is bad for exporters like myself. It was nice and high last week!

@TheTerribleTriplet Which BMS did you bring in for these cells?