3rd Group Buy - Grade A Fully Matched Lifepo4 Cells

JBD-AP20S003 first, then JBD-AP20S004 and JBD-AP20S003S all being 24-72v BMS’s with BT and RS485 ports.

JBD-SP04S020 for 12v with BT and RS485 port.

@TheTerribleTriplet Hi, I’m also interested in getting a few cells.
Got a quote to import 16x EVE LF280K cells. Quote for air transport alone is R65k. That is definitely not an option for me.

Must be shipped, IF you can get them on a plane, it is the exception and exceptionally expensive.

Drop me a WhatsApp.

@Phil I am also interested in getting some cells. Have you been able to get any pricing?

1 Like

I was up for retiring back to ZA around about now, but I have had to delay for about 18 months or so.
I don’t want to arrange collection in ZA until I am on the ground there.
So No, I haven’t enquired about prices recently.

Still very much part of the plan though.

And you can’t pack these into your additional luggage when flying to SA! Check out a sea cruise instead…

Time it, if possible, with the ships moving from the Med to SA.

Or if one knows a passenger, send it with them …

A wild idea yes, but fits right in TTT’s “here, hold my beer” and "what can possibly go wrong, let’s see … ". :wink:

Good Day Guys

I see there has been no activity on here since December, are there still any bulk orders being done?

It all depends on getting enough orders to fill a palette … or more.

One small order like 17 cells (one spare) is not worth the effort for a Bulk Buy.
17 cells x 8 buyers = 136 cells is more cost-effective.

Also, getting 100ah cells is an option, but I believe getting 280ah cells is more cost-effective … and fewer connections as in 3 x 100ah banks and 3 x BMS’es vs 1 x 280ah bank and 1 x BMS.

The tougher part is to have all pay at the same time i.e:
The first payment is to buy the cells in China via ABSA/JP Morgan banks.
The second payment is when calls have arrived in a SA harbor to pay SARS Duties and Import taxes and VAT and my fee.
The third payment is once cells are inside SA to courier them from Cpt to where they must go. Is cheaper to send a palette (bulk order) to like main centers vs individual couriers.

Warranty, assume there is none … let me clarify … there is a warranty but one has to pay for importing a replacement cell after one has done all the required tests and videos the supplier requested one to do to prove the cell is faulty. Hence the suggestion of 17 cells.

On Victron, 18 cells are possible, one then has 3 “warranty cells”.

I’m game to import again … just to organize the people to want cells at the same time, that is the tough part.

Finding the people and getting them to commit can be a challenge, any idea how long it would take from placing the order with the supplier in China to receiving the cells in CPT, JHB etc?

With the prices and exchange rate, are the cost savings of going DIY worth it compared to buying a battery off the shelf?

One advantage I can think of is with DIY you know exactly what cells you have and you get to pick the BMS. Cost savings would be a big plus for me personally and I enjoy tinkering with projects like this.

Welcome Clown!

DIY is then for you, the tinkering. Look at the 18-cell thread if you have not seen it.

How long: +28 days to 4 months (ok ok , that was Covid) - but a lot of things must go right on time for the 28 days. The smaller the order, the easier it is.

Prices and exchange rate: Exchange rate, we bough on R14.94 if memory serves. But, to wait for that to happen again, can take years. Prices, go a bit up, then down depending on who is buying cells, the European crisis, no cells. It is like the lottery on both.

Advantage vs Risk: You have a warranty, but to get the cell replaced, your cost to import IF your tests they will ask for, the vids, are accepted. Cell/s do not have to go back.

Seeing what is potting: Yes, that is the BMS.

Cells: Must be Grade A Batch Matched. Buy a couple extra, THAT is your warranty.
And if you don’t have spare cash for warranty cells … the matched batch you bought today, a few months later, none left. Check and Mate. Been there done that.

How do you make the call: Decided the max AH bank you want, 5, 10, 30kWh?
Price that AH locally supplied: What is that cost?
Importing: Take the cell price x cells x ±19% for the SA Taxes, and add the shipping costs.
Which one works most cost-effective for you?

Keeping in mind the warranty on the imported cells/BMS vs the 10-year warranty of the same AH bank locally, having read the warranty T&Cs on the local bank with a magnifying glass. (vergrootglas)

Way we reasoned back then:
Local bank costs R100k, we land same AH for like R55k, hell YES!!! We carry the “warranty” with the extra cells.
If the bank costs locally like R30k, and you can import for R25k … I won’t.

There are local cell importers.