3rd Group Buy - Grade A Fully Matched Lifepo4 Cells

Good question.

I can adjust my JBD BMS’es to where I want to balance from …

It depends on what your BMS can do. The Daly BMS has a fixed cell voltage you have to reach. While others like the JBD, JKBMS, etc you can set it to what you want.

Also, the nice thing about Lithiums are that they are very happy to never reach their capacity. Lead Acids need to get a full charge or else they degrade.

My understanding is to do an initial top balance.
Then set the BMS to only balance during charging, not discharging.
Normally charge to a lower voltage than the initial top balance, and set multi-hour float times.
The batteries will actually still attain full charge (near as dammit) during the long float times.
The long float times also allow time for finely balancing the bank.

I think this regime is sustainable over the long term.

I have the lithium SA built units which i assume has the Daly BMS the batteries are 51,2v with a 56v charge limit. Right now my system sits at 56v and batteries show as full. So according to the video i should set the charge to about 54v. Is this really going to extend the life of my batteries?

If you don’t push the limits, then they will last longer. If that makes $$$ sense is too be seen.
But think of a race driver. His brakes will need replacing much more than the granny down the street. (except if they drive like mine did :smiley: )
Same goes for the battery race driver vs battery granny.

Yes unfortunately your BMS is a Daly and they are not the most flexable. I can’t remember the voltage they start balancing but think it was somewhere around 3.45V. Still that is not too bad. Any cell that is a bit out will hit that voltage while the rest is still low and be balanced. It’s just not as good as other BMS in doing that.

Moved to a new thread …

And the next order has been placed … 134 x new version EVE 280ah cells with 15 x BMS’es.

Once it has arrived, we can start the 3rd order …

1 Like

FWIW, the Victron RS485 to USB works … to connect BMS to Rpi/Venus/Cerbo.

Quite pricey, I admit, but for me and my luck … safer. :wink:

And just because …

1. A 16 cel x 280ah on the last bit of charge on an EV -Peak … down to 0.7amps.
  2. And ag sommer … getting the 150ah’s back in line on a 300ah 12v bank … testing the Victron RS485 to USB in the process.

Update: The 2nd order consisting of 134 cells and 15 BMS’es are arriving end of Nov/early Dec.

Then in early 2022, a 3rd order will be placed for any interested DIY’ers.

1 Like

Following for early 2022 order.

We need ±200 cells to make it really very viable. More cells - cheaper, too many cells = more expensive.
Ideally based on what fits per palette.

Then we need the Rand/Dollar better than today’s rate.
Then we need shipping to work properly.

Our Sept 2021 order is a Catch 22 … we Catch it in 2022. :laughing:
Importing is NOT for the faint of heart, seriously.

I’m chatting to some suppliers … MAYBE my suggestion to them works. Will hear more after the Chinese holiday.

Till then, we have brought in spare cells for re-sale … for Jan 2022, with BMS too.

Otherwise, I’m more than happy to make another group buy. I charge R115 incl VAT per cell, to arrange the entire shipment from China to your house. SA shipping from CPT to anywhere, buyers cost.

And those who are Cpt based, cheaper, come and collect them. That is free. :+1:

1 Like

YES!!!

The order has cleared SARS in Cpt, should have the cells this week still.

From payment on 19 Sept to Feb 2022 delivery - big balls we have … BIG balls.

At last … 134 cells and 15 x BMS’e has arrived!

In perfect condition, on-the-spot checks I did.

Haha, free for Kaapies :slight_smile: .

What’s the overall price per kw. Sorry I scrolled all the way to the end ;).

JJ

All in about R340k.

Two prices:
The core buyers’ price, having paid all upfront taking the huge financial risk.
What we sell them on for - R3500 per cell, BMS R2500

The prices on Alibaba, it is not what it actually costs. :wink:

Having taken ±4 months to get the goods versus the original expected BC (Before Covid) of ±6 weeks.

1 Like

Once we have checked it all, I will do a 3rd group buy.

Ready to see who is interested in a 3rd group buy in the next month or two.

Ideally, we need to fill a palette, ±68 cells (32 boxes).
It is also a good idea to get BMS shipped with cells.

To date not one problem with the orders, as Amy is quite jacked.

Do you mean 680 cells? It might be challenging to fit 68 into 42 boxes (assuming equal parts in each box :wink:)

2 Likes

Fixed!

Sorry about that. 2 cells per box.

The last order was 67 boxes, 134 cells between 3 of us, with 15 BMS’es, on 2 pallets.