What hobbies, who collects what?

Yamaha nylon guitar R700

Crafter Acoustic/Electric Guitar EA-45 CEQ R3000

Aaaaaaa nice!! What year moddel? I own a planer 3 with RB330 arm and Grado gold Styles. Running it via valve phono stage. 2nd turntable is a Pioneer Rando 2000 that was made in Japan. Runs a Jelco arm. Awesome little turntable this.

His still there in the background. I like to deal with his son. Hahahaha I had to sit in my hands sometimes because there is allot of stuff that I want to buy. B&W got some nice stuff. I had my eye on set of 802 D2 over December that they got in, told the wife about, before pulling the trigger they where gone.

Thanks to this thread, I dug out my guitar this morning, let’s see how long before I put it away again. :smiley:
I also remembered about a uncle of mine who promised me a Rega turn table a few years ago, I can’t even remember what model it is or what the deal was exactly, I should follow it up again. Not that I intend becoming a huge vinyl buff or anything, but it will be a nice show piece to spin up every once in a while.

2 Likes

And there’s the historical aspect. This is how we listened to high fidelity recordings back then. The LP record was a breakthrough in quality for the man in the street. The US was big into 45 RPM singles but Europe didn’t follow that trend. They opted for the LP. (78 RPM shellac records weren’t in the same bracket)

Get hold of it. They really good players and i got guys that import and service this units and there some nice styles on the market.

1 Like

And to think , the LP sales markes over shot the CD market last year and it’s still climing. My father gave all his LP’s that he collected in the 70 's and 80’s and 90’s.

I bought my self n vinyl cleaner to clean any 2nd hand vinyl that i buy that is in a good nick.

There is an aesthetic appeal of a LP record with the artwork (and all sorts of information) printed on the cover. It was an ideal size to produce a graphical image. When CDs superseded the LP the artwork wasn’t as appealing.
However I reckon the CD was superior wrt signal to noise ratio and sound degradation that plagued LPs. (The sound quality was so good that they then reduced the file size with the MP3 format which reduced the quality but not seriously)
I think the appeal of LPs is nostalgic although they will always argue that the sound was ‘better’… :yawning_face:

Well, an LP is analog, and speakers are analog, so you never need a pesky DAC to translate… so presumably you have one less thing that can change the sound from what was intended.

Then again, no other part of your system is the same as what was used to produce the album, so likely that it anyways sounds different. :sweat_smile:

What I like about any record collection is that one buys records that you like and there they sit in next to your hi-fi. Like any collection it reflects the owner’s taste. So instead of asking what music someone likes it’s easier to discuss their record collection :musical_score:

I’m one of that guys that is between digital and analog. If it’s setup correctly, then it sounds great.

And what I like about it is when you have someone/or people over, then the first thing when they see a record player is go over to it and check it out. Even beter when you tell them to pick something, they go into that younger day mode. Hahahahaha

Go check this collection quickly. Studio Video

Which probably brings me to what I collect:

1. Blurays of movies and series that I love (or want to love, or saw on a special).
  2. Music (soft copies)
  3. Books (mainly different types of fiction) (I love them all, except one that I recently read, that I hated so much, it shouldn’t even be possible)
  4. Computer games (which I never seem to get the chance to play)
  5. Most recently - puzzles
  6. Oh yes, and children’s toys. These seem to multiply even though I actively try to keep the number we have constant.
1 Like

So two wind turbines stand next to each other in a field, and the one asks the other: What kind of music do you like? The other one replies: I am a big metal fan!

1 Like

With me constantly traveling for up to 7 weeks at a time, I needed to choose one hobby to keep me busy, something I could do anywhere I stop for longer than 2 days…

Fishing in all its forms is what keeps me busy, but as with all other hobby, it can get a bit too much for the wife.

AS supportive as she can be, it’s clear that she does not understand that anyone can need 4 carp rod and reel sets, 2 bass rod and reel sets, 2 rock and surf rod sets with a spare reel, a bait rod, chokka rod, 2 kurper/spinning rods, 2 kayak rods, ultra light rod and reel, fly rod, fishing drone and dedicated drone rod, 6 rods for the kids and more than a trailer full of other fishing equipment.

Let’s rather keep the old outdated and “unusable” rods and reels out of this little discussion.

It will take me about 2 days to unpack everything
for a photo, so I’ll attempt that when I am home for more than 2 days…

For the guys that is into turntables, go check locally build by Lance Dixon – Revolve Turntable.

Here is short bit of info the motor he is using on the build:
Motor:

The motor is a 24volt DC type with precious metal brushes and graphite bearings, manufactured by Maxon. This type of motor was chosen for many reasons including high precision, zero cogging, silent running and impeccable quality.

The motor is digitally controlled by a separate control board and the speed is governed by an on- board quartz clock. The motor speed is therefore un-affected by voltage and frequency variations that occur on the mains supply. The controller constantly monitors the motor shaft and ensures that it maintains the exact pre-programmed speed. A continuous stream of data flows from the motor to the controller and back.

The motor speed is pre-programmed for each turntable using Maxon propriety software. A ramp-up from zero to either 33.33 rpm or 45 rpm is also pre-set to take approximately 5 seconds, this reduces stress on the belts and the load on the motor when the turntable starts.

Maxon motors are used where absolute controllability, precision and durability are paramount, such as satellites, the Mars Rover, Formula 1, medical and measuring equipment, and un-surprisingly, several of the very best turntables in the world!

Another hobby is Astronomy and photography.
A selfie…

Groetnis

You guys don’t have an idea. This man can play a piano, I sit there every visit to him in awe of his skill… His is truly talented.

This one is mine. Can’t wait to have her…

1 Like