Types of certified Electricians, and who can sign off a solar system

I learned yesterday that you get:

• Electrical Tester for Single Phase
  • Installation Electrician also 3-Phase Certified
  • Master Installation Electrician

Now here is the rub.
Only an Installation Electrician or a Master Electrician can sign off on a solar installation, give a CoC.

So now I wonder.
How many electricians are Electrical Tester certified, yet giving a CoC for the solar installation?

I thought you need a professional engineer to sign off on a solar system?

I remember this distinction as having 1) a wireman’s license vs 2) being an actual sparky. Someone with a license can wire it, but his boss needs to sign the certificate.

I also know some sparkies who collaborate with a partner, and they sign off each other’s installs. The idea being that the sparky doesn’t sign off his own installs. I sort-of like that kind of setup. It shows a certain amount of accountability.

I thought it was only a master electrician that could sign off the CoC for a solar installation.
An engineer has to sign off on the inverter part (for SSEG).

Engineers sign off that the installation is to spec, they don’t give a CoC.

I made a small improvement:
How many electricians are Electrical Tester certified, yet giving a CoC for the solar installation?

Installation Electrician can also.

The issue is, most electricians are just Electrical Tester for Single Phase qualified.

This came about when my sparkie had to jump in when an Electrical Tester was being investigated on why he gave a CoC that he was not certified to do.

1 Like

This is all I can think of when I read that:

1 Like

But I googled first see …

https://electrical-compliance-certificate.co.za/electrical-contractors/electricians/electrician-qualification/

Electrical Tester
https://electrical-compliance-certificate.co.za/electrician-courses/how-to-become-an-electrical-tester-for-single-phase/

I have no idea what exactly you googled, but if I google that term, I only get multimeters etc.

I used: What types of electrician does one get in South Africa

It is all about what question one asks, to get the answer one wants. :rofl:

Ask chatgpt to write your questions for you :smiley:

Same way I only got Mavericks Google Ads when working from Mxit’s Stellenbosch offices back in the day…

You also served a stint over there? I was there around 2012. Did a PoC for Mxit Wallet at the time, wrote it over a weekend, worked on it a bit after that, then it went to a larger team of another company I forgot the name of (in Technopark), after which the original was meticulously rewritten, and then later I heard they came up with Snapscan, which was… like… completely different :slight_smile: This was before my team mate (at the time) joined the Priesthood. True story.

1 Like

Yeah, similar precursor…

2 Likes

So check out the following:
CoC side a normal licensed sparky can sign off the AC side, BUT
on the DC side you need a master electrician as DC can be over 1000v(or 1500 i cant remember, ie the panels in series can over the allowed voltage that a normal sparky is allowed to sign off) Thus the normal sparky can not sign off the whole system in theory
I can find out the proper legal codes/stuffs if you like and ask a master elek where what is stated.

I’d appreciate that!

Seems like the consensus is you need a “master electrician”. Seeing how you need a CoC for SARS to give you the 25% panel rebate I think clarity will be nice to be sure.

Installation Electrician is also allowed to give a CoC for a solar install.

That comes from my preferred sparkie, just yesterday, as he has the qualifications to sign off solar installations.

I was his first solar signoff… and his first Victron. :grin:

Want to add, my sparkie who brought this to my attention, in discussing the re-install of my system, mentioned there are rumblings about how batteries are to be kept in homes.

Words like “fireproof room”, “metal box” etc was floating in and out of my ears, ears that kept on hearing “la la la la”.

Don’t want to know … for now.

But that there are some regulations coming maybe to an install near you in and around batteries … nou ja … let’s not scratch where there is no itch …yet.

Apparently ties into the fire risk of lithiums when they do go into a “runaway” situation.

Is that also a problem with LiFePO4? I believe it is supposed to be one of the chemistries not susceptible to burning if they run away?

But I do understand that once something else in your house is already burning, adding lithium to the flames is probably not a good idea.

Yeah, it is a “thing”.

Don’t do this at home … at least not inside …

And this for more info …
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306261922002185

1 Like

Good video. Rather a big difference from this (18650s from a Tesla battery):

1 Like