Types of certified Electricians, and who can sign off a solar system

I came damn close to one igniting inside my house … smelt something, touched the cells in the charger, instant blister.

Ran (ok ok I walked very fast ok) to the kitchen grabbed the braaitongs and took the cell outside.

Whilst carrying it, it started spewing some smoke … I nearly dropped it on the tiles from skrik but kept my cool and threw it outside the house. It did not ignite.

Once it cooled, I put it in the bin for all the old batts to be properly disposed of … with the charger.

Now I feel cells all the time for heat in all chargers.

So yeah, it is a thing, lithium batts. Still better than lead acid exploding with acid everywhere. Not sure which is worst.

Hence the electricians needing to know their stuff.

No, most electricians have a “trade test”.

They’re “trade tested electricians”. They qualified at a technical training - usually TVET college - and passed their trade test.

Those that go on to be single phase testers, installation electricians and master electricians can all issue COCs up to specific limitations of their qualifications and authorizations.

1 Like

algorithms drive the answers you will get - there are some AI programs you can ask questions and which might give academically verifieable answers, yet it depends on your search history [and youtube history or shopping patterns and whatever is electronically derived from you], i.e. if a Presbyterian, a Muslim and roman catholic ask the same question [like how can my sin be forgiven] they will get different answers… Big Brother :crazy_face:

I understand SANS 10142-1:2020 Edition 3 Annex M (referred to below) to say that for a DC installation (and I understand that all inverter/battery/PV installations are), irrespective of whether they are single or three phase, the minimum qualification to install inverter/battery/PV and issue a test report & CoC is an Installation Electrician.

I find nothing in the draft SANS 10142-1-2 (that was released and quickly withdrawn, apparently because some electrical industry body feels they weren’t sufficiently consulted) that refers to this or changes the requirement.

So can a competent DIYer install their own inverter/battery/PV system if they’ve studied SANS 10142 and consulted with at least an Installation Electrician, and under whose control they will effectively be working and who will inspect, test and commission (turn on for the first time) their installation, and if satisfactory, issue a CoC?

Footnote “a” states that “any person under control of”, if not an employee of the aforementioned electrician, “is legally required to register as an electrical contractor”.

The conundrum is that someone who is not an electrician and who is not an employee of an electrician, cannot register as an electrical contractor (with DoL) anyway (in the context of who can install as per the Annex).

Does anyone see a way that a “competent” person who is not an electrician can install their own system and get it signed off legally?

1 Like