Threadjacking/Splitting Threads

i-also-like-to-live-dangerously

Or my favourite variant of it:

I just had a good giggle, a client from KZN just brought the following to my attention… Look at the top of pic…

Cant help to wonder, who inspired who…

“Please post in correct section”

Guess who is lurking on Energytalk…

6 posts were split to a new topic: IRC, BBS, etc

We got a spy on the group!!! Get your pitch forks and let we go hunt for the spy :stuck_out_tongue:

@mmaritz : In the topic The challenges of SA’s grid the manne discuss load shedding inverters.
This is a subject all of its own I reckon so perhaps it can have it’s own slot??

Perhaps a loadshedding section would be good. Then at least we would know whether someone is asking about a system that should be loadshedding-proof or an offgrid solution, and can keep to the topic.

Agreed! Most discussions are about big systems. If I look around my neiborhood I don’t see much investment in RE. However surviving load shedding is a different ‘industry’.
The discussion is worth highlighting because the manne are sharp and it’s good to hear their point. (e.g. I don’t know much about the Flexopower offerings but have liked the product.)

Richard you have to look at this from all angles, you might feel that having your router on and being able to send a few WhatsApps during load-shedding is survival, but there is thousands of people out there that feels that continuing with life as normal, even during load-shedding without sacrificing anything counts as surviving.

Non of these two people above, or any one in between is wrong or right, it all boils down to personal preference

As opinions differ, where do we draw the line, what is relevant to this thread and what isn’t?

I think that State of the Grid thread is clearly more conversational and less factual in nature, so a bit more leeway should be given in terms of sticking with the topic. I’ll be honest, every time a thread is split out and I’m in that split… I feel like I’ve just been called into the principal’s office. I mean it is fine and everything, I know I’m a repeat offender, but come-on… :slight_smile:

So while I am at it. A woman ends up in court because she assaulted he husband with a guitar. Judge asks: First offender? The woman replies: No, first a Gibson, then a Fender.

1 Like

Haha, reminds me of this Whackhead prank call

This is EPIC!!!

A thread about derailing just got derailed with a “First offender” and a Whackhead mention about “organs”!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ps. I could not resist.

1 Like

As far as topics are concerned I like to cite a thread to somebody where a topic is discussed by knowledgeable and unbiased contributors. But how can one do this to some unsuspecting member of another forum (or anybody for that matter).?
They will need a sense of humour that’s for sure…

Well forums are made up of people, people like us…. :grimacing:

Life is to short without humour. So let the noobs learn, it’s serious but fun.

Just an opinion, it does not mean threadjach everything. You do have the option to start a new thread and call out 1 or more people like @Richard_Mackay and @Sarel.Wagner ……

Groetnis

1 Like

An idea, to properly share knowledge and steps for newbies, is to have a thread to which only the author has posting rights.

Inevitably there are discussions around the topic, that takes place on a 2nd thread.

As the info is shared, updated, and improved, the author of the main knowledge thread then updates that core thread, to keep it concise and pure.

A EnergyTalk knowledge base if you want.

For example DIY Lifepo4 Settings thread, one would make:
One post on the inverter/MPPT settings
One post on the compression
One post on the BMS defaults

It then gets discussed elsewhere, the author keeps on updating the particular posts pertaining to like the settings, compression, and BMS defaults with the new information.

Google picks it up, and the next person has specific posts to read, and the discussion around it if they want more details on why.

Obviously, Admins has override capabilities to stop nonsense from being shared, I believe we have the checks and balances here.

I would not want to foist that amount of work on anyone.

But then, my MBTI is ISTP. See that P at the end? Mild preference for chaos…

If I started such a thread, it would not be “work”, but rather a reference manual for me, and others, now and into the future.

Also, once all is said and done, it is said and done, hence few and far in between updates may be required.

Furthermore, all new discussions on the same subject matter are always referred back to the main repository, in other words, a whole bunch of new threads repeating the same info over and over will be stopped with concise accurate detailed information.

Like Sarels’ detailed write-up on his system, that is one for the Reference section. Should not be pulled into millions of comments.

For sure!
The only site I’ve experienced this is on Siemen’s Industrial Support forum.
No jokes on that one :frowning: