Possible to manually change "Active SOC Limit" on Victron

OK, I will try. There are two values. The one is maintained by BatteryLife, and is lowered by 5% every day that the battery gets a good charge (defined as >95% SoC), and increased by 5% every day it does not get a good charge (defined as 85% SoC). For days that it reaches 85% SoC but does not exceed 95% SoC, this number stays the same.

This number is stored as the SocLimit in settings.

There is a second number, the MinSocLimit. The user can adjust this one. This is the absolute minimum the user ever wants. This is taken so seriously that if you drop more than 5% below this number, the system goes into Auto-Recharge and brings it back to this number.

The system stops when it reaches the higher one of the two. There are many reasons that a user may have the capacity to discharge down to a lower value and recover it the next day, but for whatever reason he doesn’t want to do that. In those cases, the SocLimit (where batterylife determined is a good spot to stop so that we’ll get back to full tomorrow) will be less than the MinSocLimit (the user wants you to stop earlier).

The GUI (the graphical part) takes these values and derives an “active” SOC limit. The one that will actually apply in the real world.

So what you will have to do is query both registers, and use the max() of the two results. That will get you the same value as is shown on the GUI. I know that is more work… sorry about that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, now I understand, thanks. The value that I should have used then right from the start is the MinSocLimit (2901) as BatteryLife will manage the battery around that number. Looking at my requirement it will satisfy +95% of the cases here on the Highveld as we rarely have looooong sun outages (sounds strange) due to overcast conditions (Eloise or something cyclone last year comes to mind). When it actually happens then I don’t mind the grid assisting.

No additional work required, that MinSOC value is the one that is of concern to me. Anything above it will be fine for any LS window. It’s just in the early hours of the morning that things could get dicey when it’s at the lowest limit of 35% in this case. So, in essence I can drop that down to 20% and when I know the next day will be an issue I raise it to 35% or a bit more.

Where can I start to learn this?

I started with Youtube… its the way sadly :wink:
Node Red: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQaB8NXBEPod7Ab8PPCLLAA
Steve Cope is good as well: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt12dTP8xvHM02Gc8HdGOcQ

1 Like

And you can run it directly on your Venus, so you don’t need to worry about another device in your home failing and then the automations don’t work.

I haven’t gone this route yet. And also I use Home Assistant’s YAML stuff and not the Node Red stuff.

2 Likes

Question, did I read correctly, that if you run NodeRed on the Venus, you cannot upgrade the firmware as easy anymore? Have to redo NodeRed after each firmware upgrade?

I’m not sure - I haven’t done much digging into it yet. I can’t imagine why, don’t the Venus partition off a part of its drive just for NodeRed?

I have a separate Pi4 for Node Red and HA, etc So not on the GX device!

You can look at this to start if you use Victron GX

1 Like

I was dealing with this earlier today, without first look for this topic, which would have saved me some time :slight_smile:

The battery life active soc limit in cli - It also accepts values that are not round to 5:

# Use-case example:
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit GetValue
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit GetValue
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit SetValue 33
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit GetValue
[root@gx:~]#

It was also interesting to me to find out that I can set the “Minimum SOC (unless grid fails)” to any value. However the GUI rounds it bellow or above to the nearest 5-round value. For example min SOC 26% is rounded to 25 in the GUI, and 28 is rounded to 30% in the GUI.

[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit GetValue
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit SetValue 28

Still gives me 30% in the remote console gui.

1 Like

Indeed it does. Just be careful around certain key values. 97 or 98 might show some unexpected side effects (because there is not enough room for the hysteresis). Values that are not multiples of 5 are not frequently tested. If you break it… you get to keep both pieces.

The GUI does indeed round it to the nearest 5%, but that’s only for display.

1 Like

I’ve got lots of broken pieces. Man, I laughed at that description.

When my system hits >97%, it automatically sets to “Keep Charged”. No broken pieces to pick up.

Just posting this in case someone is looking for it…
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access