Starting with Node-Red on Victron [Guide]

Victron’s GX devices have a firmware ~large version for the VenusOS devices. These come with Node-Red which you can use to control things and also has a dashboard.
Let’s see how you can get started with it.

First you need to install the ~large version of the firmware. It’s build by Victron but is not supported officially. Follow Victron’s guide to install (item 3) the ~large firmware and Enable Node-Red under the Venus OS Large features image

Now open your web browser to http://venus.local:1880/ and you will see Node-Red.

On the left (red) you will find all the nodes. You can drag and drop these nodes onto the Flow in the middle (green).
Nodes that have a small grey square on the left can receive an input, while a grey square on the right are the node’s output. You drag and drop the output square onto an input square to link them.

Dashboard
To use the dashboard and create a simple State Of Charge display, we first need to install it. Click the hamburger menu top right and then Manage palette.
Under the Install tab search for node-red-dashboard and click install. This will add new nodes to the node list (left).
Under the Victron Energy nodes, drag and drop the Battery Monitor node image onto the Flow, and under the Dashboard section drag and drop the Gauge node image node to the Flow.

Double click on the Battery Monitor node in the flow to edit it. Your Battery Monitor from your VenusOS should already be selected, but under Measurement select the State of charge (%) property and also give it a nice label (Done to complete)

Then double click on the Gauge node to edit it as well. The Dashboard nodes require a Group and a group must be on a Tab. For now you need to know that these just help in the display of the items, so without going into detail just add a new ui group by clicking on the pencil icon image to create a Battery group, and add the Battery group to a new ui tab by clicking that pencil icon image and creating the Home tab (keep it enabled and visible). Click Done twice (on the Tab and the Group) to get back to the Gauge.

Set the Gauge’s label to SOC% , the units to %, the range to min=0, max=100, Name to System SOC % and save with Done

To link Victron’s Battery SOC% node to the SOC% Gauge you drag and drop the grey output (right side) to the grey input (left side).
Click the Deploy button to run this flow.

The Dashboard is located at http://venus.local:1880/ui/ and show the Home tab with the Battery group and SOC% gauge.

6 Likes

Well done, thanks Louis.

2 Likes

Thanks Louis
Any chance you or someone else can help with the steps for Pi setup when Node Red is on a another Pi. I have a Cerbo. I have tried but break my Node Red setup ;(
Regards

Why don’t you just use the Victron ~large firmware. It’s all set up and linked and runs on your Cerbo

I have a Pi4 running all my bits (nodered, HA) at the moment and don’t want to add extra to the Cerbo.

Try the install section here

Man , I am itching how much is a Venus going for these days? Is trade-ins considered ?

Just received this via email.

Maybe you can get a good price. I cant seem to upload it, not a supported format, but happy to email to whomever wants it.