Just have a think, ICE cars EVs and power generation

Methinks, existing ICE vehicles, there is going to be a market opening up to convert them to EV’s.

Rip out the engine, exhaust, fuel tank but leave the gearbox.
Connect a conversion plate to the gearbox and connect to EV motor.
Add some other electronic parts, a booster for brakes, some more electric parts, and maybe a BMV. :wink:
Then just add batteries, choose which ones you can afford.
Done.

Currently, excl batteries, ±R100k - R150k to do a conversion.

The above presentation makes me think about linear data plots vs same date plotted on a log scale…. Same date plotted:

We as humans normally only think linear, as most things in nature, well the natural things anyway, progresss in a linear fashion, not in logarithmic way.
Groetnis

I am extremely pro-EV. Do not get me wrong. I just wonder when we will finally see an affordable one. Your cheapest EV cannot cost more than a Toyota Fortuner… you will never see rapid uptake if you do that.

A new Toyota Corolla is just over 400k. Show me an EV for that price, and then we can talk.

1 Like

Sooo import tax on EVs at 45%. Without any i port tax, a $45 000 car = R828 000 including VAT and to this we should add about another R20 000 for shipping. Only way to get that down locally is to build/assemble here.

This is the conundrum however. None, and I mean NONE of the local assemblers/OEMs parents are really gearing up for EVs yet. That is only starting to be planned now. Ford and VW group has some EVs, so do MB and BMW. Those are fully imported.

As far as is publicly known, there are as yet no timelines for local production. None of the upstream manufacturers are yet making EV components locally. We have a huge disadvantage in SA, no battery cells are produced here, so importing that, no computer modules, at least 30 per car, or computer chips are manufactured locally. Some may be assembled here but that would be from all imported parts.

The OEM parents will most likely not start building EV factories outside China, EU or USA before the main factories are operational at their respective HQs. Also the OEMs will have to incur even more debt to build the first factories and ramp production. I cannot imagine that other factories outside HQs will be build before the original factories have ramped up production after a few years. Building and ramping new factories will take at least 4 to 5 years.

Groetnis

From Mordor research:

South Africa is Expected to be the Largest Automotive Industry in the Continent

The rest of Africa buys about as many cars per year as we do in SA, this market is about as insignificant in comparison to the World number as can be.

“The South African automotive industry is the largest in the region. However, during the year 2019, it witnessed a slight downfall in sales figures. During the year 2019, 355,378 units were sold as compared to 365,242 units in the year 2018, which is a fall of around 2.7%. Similarly, the commercial vehicle segment in the country witnessed a downfall of around 3.07% and registered sales of 181,233 units of commercial vehicle sales in the year 2019. In 2020, according to the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa, vehicle sales in the country declined by 29.1%, which is because of the pandemic COVID-19.

The country is a hub for exports of passenger cars in several other parts of the world, especially Europe. Export sales recorded a second consecutive month of solid growth in January 2021 and at 22,771 units reflected an increase of 6,468 units, or 39,7%, compared to the 16,303 vehicles exported in January 2020.”

Not really practical in reality. And good luck with a road worthy. Only somewhat makes sense for ancient cars with practically no electronics.

There is a nice kit that’s produced (locally) for the Porsche 356. It’s over R800k.

Well, my one friend just bought him a I3 bmw 2 weeks ago just after he installed a Victron solar setup at his house and I know of someone that just got his new Corolla Cross Hybrid last week. My Wife is after the Hybrid one now to and busy checking to sell her Rav4. The Corolla model is price really good to and can pick up demo models for really good price.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to drive a nissan leaf for a week. Friend of mine is driving it now and his boss bought one to. He charges it from his works solar setup and then at his house solar setup. You can pick them up in second hand marked for between R200 000 and R350 000. Nissan SA is importing the new version now and the going price form them is between R500 000 and R650 000.

This is IMHO a step in the right direction (and they really are super fuel-efficient!), but what I really want is something like the RAV4 prime they sell in the states. Something with an electric-only range and speed that makes it suitable in town.

The Cross Hybrid can go 2km in electric-only mode, and only at low speeds. The RAV4 Prime can do around 65km, at highway speeds if you want. That means I can drive to the airport and halfway back before I need the petrol engine. I can drive into Cape Town CBD and only need the engine to get back. I can drop the kids at school on electric only, including the extramural activities. I can practically cut one tank of fuel from my monthly budget with a vehicle like that, without any loss of utility. I can still drive it 1500km in a single day if I want to get to Jhb or Windhoek in a single sitting… (which I’ve done in the past)…

California (Commiefornia as it’s commonly referred to) is the largest car market in the US. Look at these number, the Camry and all the others on there is ICE cars.

Groetnis

Truth be told… I am scared to death that I will wake up, in a few weeks time, find that my next vehicle MUST be an EV… and it will cost a million bucks, thank you very much. Oh, and btw… there are no charge stations in your area… not our problem.

I keep hearing that the EV revolution is going to happen tomorrow… and I am not seeing anything on the ground.

But… I am excited… I just hope it is not going to cost me a fortune.

You mean locally, or just in general Worldwide?

As just the Teslas are 37% odd of new car sales there.

Groetnis

And World market share of EVs already at 8.3%, yoy doubling

I too am terrified of this. And also that the car we bought last year will be worthless in less than 10 years if no one and that point may/wants buy diesel vehicles.

1 Like

I always ignore PHEV’s - feels badly wrong (who puts a generator in the boot to charge their BEV vehicle…;))

I look at BEV figures and the look great worldwide - SA not so much!

Here is a prime example of what I’m talking about: EVSE - custom for solar - #39 by JacoDeJongh

Legal and on the road in SA.

Been watching this now for years, more overseas, the first time I came across the “kits” was like 6-8 years ago in Canada. You buy a conversion “kit”, all the parts included per model of vehicle, just add batteries. At that time, Trojan batteries were too heavy. Now, 280ah Lifepo4 cells.

Also lots of YouTube vids of people driving converted ICE vehicles, one was a BMW, extended distances to show it can be done.

Because of that thread, I posted above, I spoke to a local company late last year ito of making my Isuzu diesel/electric. Front wheels with hub motors for short-distance in the city, diesel for longer distances, 100% biodiesel the ideal scenario, to drive AND charge the battery.

It is an engineering dare/challenge, not impossible at all, and the costs will come down if more people, do it, as the import duties are silly…

Currently it is HOBBY level, if I win the lottery, I will sure as damn attempt to build my diesel/electric. :wink:

So Plonk, I’m pretty sure at that time, you will have options, buy new or convert.

Yeah, Jehu Garcia did that one. Used to follow him. Lost interest after a video where he did a very dismissive review of the Victron SmartShunt, comparing it to something cheap from China. But yes, they made a huge battery from recycled cells, and showed that you can do a thousand miles with it. Not sure if that really translates to something you can sell to consumers, but interesting to the tinkerers (like you… these days I don’t really have the time anymore :wink: ).