EVSE - custom for solar

I have to share what I came across today. I pulled into a parking at an electrical wholesale and saw the following:

I saw the petrol cap is not standard and decided to wait for the owner. He was a bit in a hurry, but after a few direct questions he warmed up a bit and decided to show more. (For the record, I asked permission to take photos)

Under the Hood:

The electric motor is directly mounted on the gearbox. All protection and one battery bank in the front and another bank where the back seat use to be. A solar charging plug next to the number plate, and a standard EV charging plug where the Petrol cap use to be:

I have asked the owner if he would consider joining us and tell us more about this project. I gathered he isnt a real forum guy, although he belongs to a whatsapp group for EV conversions.

Why i though this is relevant. He said we dont have an idea how many of these are running in SA, so I guess charging stations is already needed. He visited the electrical wholesale today to buy the last equipment he needs to mount a 3kva Multi and a Cerbo in the Golf so he can power loads in his house from his car.

I truly enjoyed listening to him today… Lets hope he makes a turn some time…

6 Likes