Help me choose: Sunsynk vs Growatt

Yes, I’ve got the 8kW Deye. Panel wise I went with 10 x Canadian Solar 595W panels. I’ve got some shading issues from the chimney on the one string, so I’ve ordered some Tigo optimisers in the hope of lessening those losses a bit.

1 Like

Hi Jaco, what cheaper options do you recommend. Not all can afford Sunsynk or Victron.

Growatt states on spec sheet: “PV and Grid power the load jointly if PV energy unsufficient.”
So does jointly not mean blend?

My opinion: If you can’t afford Sunsynk, then perhaps save a bit more. It is cheaper than buying twice. Seriously, if you compare what’s available today at the price point of the Sunsynk to something that had the same capabilities ~8 years ago, you realize how affordable the Sunsynk is.

2 Likes

Nothing is more expensive than having to pay for the same thing twice.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Voltage drops over conductors

My suggestion would be to go as cheap as possible then, knowing full well that you will be buying more than one, or you will have to live with some aspect of your choice. Buy the cheapest nastiest Voltronic clone you can find, and plod along until you need another one, or have the money saved up for something better. Just don’t connect it to the house, keep it separate.

The other alternative, which isn’t that much cheaper, is a lithium power pack, like the Flexopower, the Ecoflow range, or the Jackery. Eg the Ecoflow river pro. You can even rig up a solar panel. It is small, and expensive for what it is, but it gives you much better quality for a smaller price tag.

2 Likes

Worse, they (at least mine) can’t even carry more than it’s rated load even in passthrough mode. It trips!

Mine (MKS Plus 3kVA) is running essesntials as UPS with output source priority set to Utility. I go above 3kW for a minute or 2 and it trips and I have to switch over the changeover.

I can get by like this as I live alone at the moment and can manage my loads for the most part, but I’m considering either adding a 5kVA Multiplus and AC coupling my Solis 4.6kW or just replacing everything with the 5/8kW Sunsynk. With Stage 6 I’m losing a lot of solar generation with the grid tied setup.

1 Like

I have the 5kv MP2 and have no issues. I run the whole house… !

Yes, going solar teaches a tough lesson, that the cheaper solution is normally cheaper for good reason. I think it is the most common mistake practically everyone makes when starting out.

If I AC couple the Solis can I still get solar power to non-essentials during grid operation? If I go ESKOM → CT → Geyser → Multi → Solis → Essentials ? Ie will the Multi push excess solar to the grid side?

The thing that makes me doubt if this is the way to go is that if I sell the Solis the I can get a 8.8kW Deye and just put all my loads on it for the same net cost as the Multi 5k.

I got the Axpert when I was still living in a rental unit and built my own power trolley that didn’t connect to the DB. It served it’s purpose and I learnt a lot. I can probably sell it to someone to use like that or in a small off-grid setup. I added 2x 120Ah 12V Hubble batteries… will probably sell the lot together.

1 Like

That is a better solution IMO.

1 Like

What throws Victron into the “expensive” category, is 1) the MPPTs and 2) a Cerbo/Venus.

You have the Solis …

My next system will be Victron + maximum allowable PV inverters with only a small MPPT. ( For black starting).
Believe it or not, secondhand PV inverters are generally a third of the price of secondhand MPPTs on ebay.
Luckily, I got a couple of extra RPI’s a while back when I realized there was a shortage coming.

Jis Kerels, en Dames.

Im so glad Karischoonbee brought this thread up again. I just wish more people can read this. Today ive hear someone who had a axpert, it broke/tripped, stay tripped. Then got sold another one, same output, different brand, Axpert clone. (best thing since sliced bread nogals).

Ek kan maar net my kop skud en wonder… Is als ok by die huis?

My neighbor saw the bluelight. Saw how mine did vs how his brother’s unit had to be sent in for the 3rd time. He said it was an easy choice…

It works a treat. My parents are fully off-grid with a Multi 3000/24 and a 5/4 FreedomWon battery, 1.8kWp solar and 150/60 MPPT. It covers their needs fine but some mornings my mom has to wait for the sun to be a bit higher before starting the washing machine, or the battery to charge to at least 80% to start the dishwasher. She also has to wash her hair during the day in order to use the hairdryer. My dad has to charge up with the genny on some winter days. And of course only one “big” appliance can run at a time.

They had 3 old 250W panels just standing in the garage so I got them a little 750W Solis for next to nothing, put the panels on an East-facing roof and fed it from the AC out. Now the battery is already charged by 10AM most days and the base loads are off the Victron from 7AM already. They even got an induction plate and an airfryer to reduce their gas bill.

I use a similar setup on one system. (1.5KVA Solis).
These days I go for a slightly bigger PV inverter as the small ones only have 1 MPPT built in.
I find 2 MPPTs are better than 1.
The more granular you can make your MPPTs, the more roof angles you can use.
You can still have some production by using two arrays which may have shade issues at different times during the day. The PV strings don’t have to be equal in length either, which adds more flexibility as well.

Well blow me down … wife and daughter want gas to save cost, and that is stopping now after this gem of a comment.

Since we produce enough electricity for our needs, we just need to manage loads as the inverter is only so big, I also don’t really want to get a gas stove when we renovate our kitchen this year. Perhaps having both would be a good compromise…