From grid-tie to microgrid / hybrid backup

So, Howzit from Muldersdrift Somerset West!

Finally decided to bite the bullet. Will be installing a MultiPlus II 48/10000 and FreedomWon Home Lite 20/16. The solar expansion will have to wait for now.

Doing any of this during Stage 6 Load Shedding was bound to be a nightmare, but @JacoDeJongh managed to somehow source the MP and accessories while everyone else was quoting lead times of 22 weeks on the inverter.

As part of this install I also need to split the main DB as well as the “kitchen” DB, which is actually 75% of the big consumers, on the other side of the house. Getting another feed for essentials through to there is proving to be prohibitively expensive (no connecting roofs), so will be following @Sarel.Wagner’s “all loads are essential” model, but with my own loadshedding added.

All of Jaco’s packages have been sitting here waiting while the battery is on its way from Durban on a shipping plan I’ll call “Economy Lite Minus”. Yes, FreedomWon is in Cape Town. Yes, I am in Cape Town. Such is the way of stock shortages. Apparently they’re actually in JHB.

An EM package is out for delivery, so I might be able to start over the weekend.

Will post progress here – if you see something, say something, please!

1 Like