Eskom ... is there ANY chance? In CPT there is

O bugger.

Sug … Eskom is 100 years old today …
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0r2qAvC2q59oaN6x3XwpXBfrqD4vbP5y2FZtotyJfWsCkpEhBkqptczYkvCCBZMQSl&id=100063724405607&sfnsn=scwspwa&mibextid=6aamW6

8 posts were split to a new topic: Maths and Musings

What a joke …

With all that went down last week … when it rains it pours on the ANC lately … awesome!

Wait what … nuclear in Durban … did I not see containers floating around there some time ago … followed by some more flooding and storms, the Gov “swearing on their mother’s grave” (sic) that any and all emergency relief funds to fix Durbs will be tightly controlled?

So seems to me my “vloermoer” (temper tantrum) B&M’ing turns out to have had some “merits”, although very un-scientifically deduced.

Still have trouble connecting the two. Perhaps it is the unscientific part of it.

For example, today feels like a very good day. We are on stage 3 in Cape Town, and in my area that means I’m going to be off only once, and that is at 8PM tonight!

Of course, I am not counting the 4AM slot, because I was sleeping and it didn’t bother me… and right there is the unscientific part of it.

If we had been on stage 4, it would add one slot (12PM) and that would totally ruin the good feeling.

I see that, and not …

Stage 3 is off here at 10:00.
Then Stage 4 slips in later today like at 18:00

Tomorrow we have Stages 4, then 3, then 4 again.

Is it 4MW taken off, or 3MW … how can they fix that that quickly all day every day month after month?

[RANT ON]
And that just #($*% me off!

Dammit, pick a stage and run with it dammit!
[RANT OFF]

The comment from Jon Quirk just sums it all up succinctly.

They are being nice by running at a lower stage during the day. The stage is 4, you’re just getting some discount.

How?

They want to “give me a discount”, then have the whole 24h period on 3 …

Them showing 3 then 4 then 3 etc, this is Gov messing with your head bro. :rofl:

We are on Stage 4 today, this weekend.

To me it just seems like you’re complaining about the discount you’re getting between 5AM and 4PM.

Seriously now, how can they “discount” anyone by jumping between levels in the same 24h period, 12h period actually? No, they cannot.

One cannot fix units that fast, bring them online, only to “taketh away” a few hours later?
Are there really “fewer” LS hours in that 24h period?

TODAY on ESP Stage 3 is a total of 4h off, and stage 4 is 6 hours off.
Today with Stages 3 and 4 we are 4h off - so technically Stage 3.
Tomorrow with Stages 3 and 4, we are 6h off - so technically Stage 4.
Sunday with Stages 3 and 4, we are 6h off - so technically Stage 4.

So I really don’t see what you see, today we are Stage 3, not 4. Why show 4?

Looking at the other Stages:
5 - 6h
6 - 8h
7 - 10h
8 - 12h
… now where have I counted 10-12h actually off on Stage 4-5-6?

This is not me “complaining”. A long yarn is being spun here … hence the “new Stages” being planned, cause I think this BS is not cutting it anymore.

In the evenings, they go to stage 4, and they pump water to the upper dam. During the day, the let the water run down to the lower dam, and that means they need only do stage 3.

It is literally all Steenbras. Well, mostly.

He wants “Best price” this is not “Best price” :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly!!! :grin:

But yeah, I agree with Plonky, enjoy the discount, even if you feel it’s not best price :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I don’t think the businesses having to close down or retrench staff, are appreciating Plonks “discount” that much. :slight_smile:

In Cpt, pump Steenbras at night and gooi the next business day, pump it all back the next night in accordance with Eskom’s LS targets. People can shower later, cook food earlier, whatever.

As I also said before … stop this 8-5 fixed mindset with variable LS levels. Cast LS schedules in stone (if there are no additional breakages) and spread the “load” over 12/18 hours per day, instead of this insistence of 8-5 with the resultant strain on Eskom generation. Spread the loads … same working hours.

Why? If we think outside the box, and stop accepting these “discounts” by fixing the schedule per week so that businesses can better prepare, therefore lowering their generator costs which in turn will bring the cost of like say for example food down for everyone in due course.

What is happening today, we need to “swap boxes”.

It sounds like you’re arguing about fairness. And I totally get it. If today I have a bad slot at 12PM, but I skip it (because Cape Town is at stage 3), but next week something breaks, Eskom goes to stage 5 which means CT is on stage 4, then on Monday the zone next door will not be relieved of their 12PM slot.

Zone 4 may then feel that Zone 3 had an unfair advantage the previous week.

I mean, I get it, but since you cannot really predict what stage Eskom is going to be in, and the idea that you should NOT go down a stage (which means loss of productivity, loss of energy sales, mayhem in traffic), all for the sake of predictability and fairness? It seems like the present system is the better of the two evils.