Eskom ... is there ANY chance? In CPT there is

If I search for “Blom” in that affidavit, I cannot find where he says that.

From what I do read, he is calmly and calculating countering Blom’s claims, the same Ted Blom some here have discussed over years who has a “knife in for Eskom”, a “disgruntled employee”?

Ex employee, maybe somewhat disgruntled. Ted normally dumbs things down for easy consumption. Hence the Simplistic comments there. And yes in this case they both have a point. DeRuyter must live within the constraints, artificial as they may be. Also the huge R1 Billion a month loss. Ted’s point is likely, I do not know for sure, that Eskom can do those things, in the ideal World outside Eskom, so why does Eskom not do so? Also he needs to satisfy his paymasters, or no monies…

Groetnis

Around point 5

Mr Ted Blom’s assertions are ill-informed and wide off the mark.

At point 22

Mr Blom’s account of these alleged ‘alternative solutions’ is patently unrealistic and a gross oversimplification of what is practically entailed in solving the energy crisis.

Adjectives like ‘ill-informed’ and ‘patently’ carry a certain amount of dripping condescensiondisdain.

(as does the adjective “dripping” :slight_smile: ).

I think just to add to this. I got this in an email from Daily Maverick:

Kevin Bloom and a team of Daily Maverick journalists have been working on this investigation for months, with evidence provided by intelligence reports that two senior members of Cabinet control four criminal cartels working inside Eskom.

And they made a funny:

How unfortunate that President Cyril Ramaphosa’s overworked PR team planned in advance to address South Africa’s recent greylisting on the same day as this story broke. Face it: there’s no spin you can put on this.

To come out and say “the greylisting is an opportunity for us to tighten our controls and improve our response to organised crime” ventures into laughable territory.

The organised criminal networks are everywhere around you, Mr President. Rather than try to chase the leaks and whistle-blowers, just as Zuma’s hacks tried, can’t you try to address the actual problem? No spin, other than turbines, can provide power to run South Africa. The media are not your problem, Mr Ramaphosa. Criminals inside your very own party are.

2 Likes

What this means for us

According to the CoGTA ministry, “consumers will be protected from excessive pricing of goods and services and availability of the supply of goods and services will be secured during the National State of Disaster.”

Winkler, who was speaking in his personal capacity, said, “the regulations on the national State of Disaster (SOD) on electricity and rolling blackouts are important to have in writing, but leave much unclear. Their implications also depend on who Ministers are after the Cabinet reshuffle.”

He added, “While having written SOD regulations [State of Disaster regulations] is better than having none, there seems a significant risk of that fairly broad powers bestowed by SOD could be used poorly. This is a risk with any emergency regulations – that they override existing checks and balances.

“And we do not know when this will end. The SOD regulations have a commencement date (27 Feb 2023), but no end date. Another important question is when the SOD will be over, the SOD regulations cease to apply, and normal laws and regulations resume.” DM

I can see Karpowership being shoved through – Creecy is out of the game now :sob:

Fook I see a cow, no a heard of cows off to the slaughter house they go, milking time…

VarsGroetnis
Dis amper verkiesingstyd

VarsGroetnis=vars mis? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You missed this titbit…

Crucially, the regulations allow all activities permitted under the state of disaster to continue after it ends.

This jumped in my “face” …

Can see it two ways …

1. Investment in legal renewables, cannot be changed afterwards, the good side.
  2. Karpower ships … the bad side, stuck with the “contract”.

EDIT:
What I do think, after Dr Zol and the Covid fiasco (how is that court case going), with all the latest information made public, I think the tolerance of her special level of BS would be limited … court cases here we come.

Anybody noticed this gem in there: “the cost of generating electricity, which is currently around 57c/kWh.” From the court document by DeRuyter.

GoedkoopGroetnis

No, we only saw “Blom”. :rofl:

That 57c/kWh is just generating it, excludes the transmission costs, no?

CoCT, last I heard, bought electricity for like 75c/kWh if memory serves.

So now I wonder, the increases on the base price, if it is a % on the Eskom price as per NERSA, say i.e. 30%, 17.1c/kWh, why is the “whole chain” increasing with 30% i.e. my R2.65c/kWh increases with 30%, not just the base Eskom rate? Hence everyone fumes at the mouth with price increases. Don’t know. :man_shrugging:

When I was in uni, there was a dude called Riaan who flunked first year math with me, so we both sat in second year in the same bench, two seats behind a group of first years, one of whom was a German from Swakopmund, and Riaan disliked him practically on sight. He used to say: He has a face like a bicycle. When I see it, I want to apply my feat to it!

That’s roughly how I feel about that two-tone haircut. I know it is not rational, I freely admit it isn’t. On top of that, I remember reading something he wrote about gradually investing in solar power, some years ago, and just how badly informed he was (at the time) about the battery tech. At the same time, every darn journalist who needed an opinion would call Mr. Blom. I’m sorry, it’s a bad combination of factors, and even though I concede he speaks the truth in many matters, I would rather hear it from someone else. Sorry again :slight_smile:

The story with said German and mentioned math class has a happy ending though (and nobody’s face was stepped on either). This German guy was what one would call a “spierpaleis”, a muscle palace, he looked good. Even to a straight guy like me. And he was hanging out with this good looking girl, and I mean, that’s basically why I sat in this bench (4th row from the front), just to look at this girl. I am proud to say that for almost 20 years now, I’ve been able to wake up next to her every morning.

Yes, that number was interesting, because in the same document he says Eskom’s cost is 170c/kWh. So one could ask, which one is it? Well, it seems the cost of generation is 57c/kWh, but the total cost (including many other things, probably transmission, administration, etc) is 170c/kWh. I can therefore imagine that BHP’s electricity costs less than 170c/kWh, but probably not as little as 57c/kWh. All De Ruyter was prepared to say is that that don’t pay LESS than the cost of generation. It remains an open question whether there is any profit on this electricity at all.

2 Likes

Jinne, this Gordhan fella is not cool …

This morning I used this analogy: Imagine a whistleblower is killed after they make public what they found, but before they can formally bring this to law enforcement. And suppose law enforcement would cluck sympathetically, saying things like: What a shame! If only she brought the evidence to us, we could investigate, but now our hands are sadly tied!

Would you believe it? Well, in this case the guy isn’t dead (just on holiday), but the allegations is serious enough. Would you say the reasonable approach is to claim that you cannot do anything, or to start an investigation immediately?

The sheer amount of inaction is staggering. Absolutely staggering. TTT, adjust your barometer. I have no benefit of the doubt left with this lot. They deserve a royal firing (at the ballot box).

You mean to say investigate oneself and your colleagues… Naa we do that thing no…

Groetnis

Precisely. Normally one would say that jumping to conclusions may be premature. That it is an argument from silence (concluding things based on what was NOT said or known). Or you could say that the evidence is circumstantial, it points to guilt, but not directly or conclusively.

The thing about circumstantial evidence, is that enough of it adds up. People have been convicted solely on the basis of circumstantial evidence, because there was enough of it.

The evidence seems to show very very clearly that this government knows they were complicit, either by directly benefiting, or not speaking up about it. And they know what it will mean when it comes out.

I would enjoy this being made into a book / movie. This already sounds like an extract from a book.

You have to imagine, I didn’t think I stood a CHANCE against this guy. Turns out he’s a pretty cool guy. Fond of taking his shirt off and showing off a bit, but cool for the most part.

Art imitates life. But also, flunking Mathematics 178 (once) turned out to be one of the best things I ever did.

3 Likes

Oh man, the subtle little gems. About 90% through, this gem, which translates loosely as: This was a complete waste of time: The court’s and ours.

It will not have been lost on this Court that instead of continuing with their work towards those solutions, their energies have unfortunately been diverted for the past weeks in having to explain not only how misguided the applicants’ case is, but also the precipitous danger that the relief portends.