Dual element for geysers

It just seems an unnecessary design complication, because the thermostat port will have to be physically higher or else you would be heating far more water than a typical geyser.
Again I use “typical”, in a sense that it is typical of the 20-30 geysers I have every had much to do with and may not be typical of the industry.

My thermostat is also at the bottom, which is why, after a quick shower, it shows like 30 degrees even though there’s still a heap of hot water remaining.

2 Likes

Most horizontal tanks I’ve seen have the element in the middle (right behind the big metal plate on the side), with the thermostat in a pocket right below it. If the thermostat is set for 55°C, then one would expect hot water (hotter than 55) at the top of the tank, 55 around the middle of the tank, and colder (than 55) at the bottom.

It doesn’t really matter so much where the element sits. What matters is where the thermostat sits :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s the way I see it, and those geysers are the ones I am calling “typical”.

1 Like

All I know, geyser heats faster, and at “21 deg” a male can still shower with hot water … and if the wife wants boiling hot water, go for it, it heats faster than a horizontal one … just to get her to “trust” feeling the hot water under the basin tap and not the temp reading displayed. :slight_smile:

But so far, I like vertical more than horizontal … will now see with 4 people showering from a 150l … 2 people mornings and 2 at night …

From experience I can tell you that the 2 people showering in the morning will not enjoy it.
If all 4 shower in the morning or all 4 shower in the evening then the 150L is fine. 2x2 does not work :cold_face:

this is why I like my solar / gas geyser setup. hot water 24/7 without eskum or PV power no matter how many people shower never gets cold, even when cold water enters my outside horizontal mounted solar geyser, the temperature control valve diverts it to the gas geyser to boost back to 60 degrees.

1 Like

So I heat my 150l from 13:15 until it reaches 60 degrees. Then my wife and I shower quite happily in the evenings. However, when there is loadshedding in my morning geyser heating slot (04:00 to 06:00), then my wife complains. It is quite lukewarm then.

Obviously it greatly depends on how long the showers are for.

Just for completeness and I know this will perhaps only be able to be used by a minority of South Africans due to the nicer climate.
It may be use to someone referencing this thread in the future.
In colder climes where the fireplace is fitted with a back boiler that circulates water through radiators throughout the house, the geysers are equipped with a 3rd element as well:

1 Like

And this is also a commonplace cold clime solution:
Cold water in hot water out and no storage losses an electrical alternative to @spiff’s gas setup. (Of course the gas set up doesn’t suffer from load shedding).
It is normally combined with just using the sink element in the geyser.
It is too hungry to be powered by solar (11kW ish), but if you are using the grid anyway it is more efficient. ( and surprisingly cheap to buy).
Just another option that may have an application for someone.

1 Like

With 3 people we have not run out of hot water … YET … but Wife has a “red button” that is there for HER convenience … hot water in the mornings keeps the marriage on an even keel…

Also, in THIS house, if that shower runs and runs and runs … there ARE going to be words shared quite loudly.

Anyone who wants to shower at length, go for it … here is the water and electricity bill … bye!
Even our guests know that. :wink:

EDIT: Now before people get the wrong impression … I’m quite for saving water and electricity, schedule the heating and showers to optimal levels … just don’t be an self entitled arse, more so if that person does not contribute to said costs.

I have thought about how this came across and @karischoonbee is right, it comes across wrong.
My apologies.
I would like to mitigate.
I deal with technical people all day long, and I have to be very clear when I speak to them about what I assume, what my opinion is and what is a fact. I am a consultant and there are always legal liabilities involved.
I think my posts bear this out.
I also am super sensitive to others mixing assumptions, opinions and facts. Therefore I picked you up on the distinction of “what we know” and what should have been “my opinion is”. (in my opinion).
I did this too abruptly and I am sorry (fact).

2 Likes

Haha! Don’t worry, when I grew up we spent all holidays and long weekends and some normal weekends as well on my grandparents’ farm. There, water was scarce. When we were still too young to shower, we bathed in as little water as possible and shared it if we weren’t too dirty. As we got older we started showering. It was full on business. No leisure at all. 2 minutes were considered ample and bordering on indulgence.

No one complained because we all understood the importance of saving water. Same went for electricity. Lights weren’t simply left on because it creates a nice atmosphere to walk into a well lit room.

I hope I can instill in my daughter one day the concept of “elke bietjie help”. I’ve gotten my wife to come around largely. :sweat_smile:

When I was newly married, I would turn lights off when I leave the room. Like when I grew up. You see we had a 36VDC battery with 60W incandescent lamps. Electricity was scarce. I quickly ran into opposition from my new wife, who hates walking into a dark room.

When I went into solar power and had to reduce consumption, I installed LED lamps very quickly. That way, I don’t have to worry about it. They can stay on all day and all night as far as I’m concerned. Divorces are way more expensive :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha! I was told the same! And we also now have LEDs, so I don’t worry. I’ll even put it on for her. :smile:

I automated some of that with HomeAssistant. When it comes to turning things on, well… there are better areas to expend that energy :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I just showed her how the switch works. Now she can switch them on anytime she wants (no more dark rooms)
As long as she just switch them back off when leaving the room :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This morning I was thinking that I probably should go that route at some point… Reason being, my daughter woke at promptly at 05:00 for her daily cuddles with me. So all I am to do is to pick her up, carry her to the couch (so we don’t wake up the wife) and then cuddle up with her and she immediately falls asleep again.

So the problem is, sometimes I need to have a little bit of light to get her nice and comfy, find the blankets etc. What would work brilliantly if I can remotely switch off the light when I’m done, because getting up from next to her to switch it off, and then getting back in with her, can make her wake up again (and one can only wake a sleeping baby so many times before she wouldn’t want to sleep again).

These days you get light bulbs that dim, switch on and off at certain times, change colour, continuously change colours through the spectrum ( think disco) all preset or controlled live from a phone.
(You’ll have to do a bit of looking for bayonet mounts, but they do make them).

Methinks a small flashlight or a table lamp close to you … cause those cuddles are simply precious.