DIY BMS that interfaces with Victron

However you decide :slight_smile:

Here are the steps you want to follow if you want to connect this to the serial battery driver on a Victron GX:

1. Hook up the BMS leads to the cells
  2. Test the Leads and connect them to BMS
  3. Set up BMS with bluetooth and app on your phone
  4. Get root access going on your GX device
  5. Download the serial battery driver and add the files to your GX
  6. Reboot your GX
  7. Plug the USB comms cable from your BMS into the GX
  8. Check that your BMS in now in the GX menu and voila
1 Like
  1. Link to the software, steps do it, Venus is rooted and I have PuTTY/WinSCP?
    Apologies if you have posted it already.

2. USB comms cable: VE.Direct or CANbus or UART cable?

Is this in yet?
If so, where can one access the info?

Will be in the upcoming v2.62 patch release. You can already install 2.62~4 if you want. But I don’t think it is available to non-support persons as download or via VRM. At least not yet. You can however look for it yourself on dbus. It’s on com.victronenergy.vebus.whatever at /Devices/0/ExtendStatus/PowerPackPreOverload.

1 Like

Click on my User Icon and then Featured Topic to go to the serial battery driver thread. The link is in the Opening Post.

Connect your RS485 USB converter to the BMS. The J5 plug. A/H(red) to your A+ and B/L(black) to B- on your RS485USB converter.

1 Like

My suggestion is not to change everything at once. If something is not working then you don’t know what change to look at. Make your changes in increments and test each one. Possibly keep to 2.60 until everything else is confirmed working

Right, attempt one, 7ah 24v bank, to see if I go this, and so far it does seem so, DANKIE @Louisvdw !!!

My 2nd BMS out of 4 that is still working after I connected it all:

Forget the software on the Andriod app store, use this one: https://overkillsolar.com/support-downloads/
Password is: 000000

And we have comms to the 8 cells:

Next the Venus connection … need to figure that one out a wee bit … as the Venus is not close to my “test bench”.

1 Like

I’m running the Latest Release Candidate versions, so it is fine.

BUT, before I remove the Daly, want to see WHAT is recorded on the Venus, like is/was it me, was it indeed the 60v max the BMS can do … did I miss anything else?

Excellent. Know how to get there.

Bummer is, one release behind … and I had DC Ripple a couple of days ago.

So will update today and wait for another DC Ripple.

I swear I said that some time in the past (in the context of installers arriving on site, upgrading all the firmware at once… and then blaming the wrong component for some “new behaviour”) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

… and then plug the RS485 USB converter into the Venus USB port?

Question: If I just connect to the Venus, it ain’t gonna affect current settings right?
Just see if I can see the info displayed, then disconnect again ASAP, no, yes?

Or is it better I wait for the SD card to arrive tomorrow, and do then do it on the Venus Rpi version?

If you’re thinking DC ripple… nope, this won’t reflect here. This is that other issue where the inverter shuts down due to overload while grid connected.

DC ripple is very simple to explain. When the battery disconnects from the DC bus (for whatever reason), only the capacitors on the DC bus holds things steady, and they cannot do it. The 50Hz generated on the AC side starts to pull the DC side along and a 100Hz ripple shows up. The more power going through there, the more pronounced the amplitude of this ripple.

The ripple is merely a result of something else. Not the cause.

If the serial battery driver on the Venus does see your BMS when you plug it in, then it will use the settings from the BMS instead of the Venus. So you charge values will be from the serial battery

If your Battery Monitor is on Auto like in the picture below it will use the BMS values when available and fall back on the old stuff when not.

The one thing that you might have to reset manually is your MPPTs. They will go to the yellow light when the BMS is missing. You will have to log on using your phone and just follow the prompts to reset it to continue without BMS like before.

Edit: And yes you just plug that USB converter into the GX

1 Like

Might be better to do all this on your test Pi Venus if this is not going to be part of your current setup yet. Else the BMS will tell the MPPTs to do full charge while the real battery that is currently is in use if full and it will trip.

1 Like

100% … misunderstood that maybe I can see something. Will move on as my gut says to me that it is the BMS I have …

Ok, thread derailment START

O I have a client that has that EXACT problem … he is now off-grid till a solution can be found.
Like 250w powered from the inverter and batts, no other loads as the house is sleeping, the inverter will shut down due to overload.

First, the problem surfaced as DC Ripples, bad ones, as the inverter switched off.
Then the cables were severely shortened AND the battery bank was returned for a refund.
A new Revov 11kWh one installed.
And Revov engineers found all 100% spot on ito setup and connections.
Not the cabling and not the BMS nor the batts …

In the end, the DC Ripples left the building … but was replaced with a severe inverter Overload, switching all off.

The client is currently off-grid, although he bought the system to be grid-tied.

If anyone wants to test with this client, generating some substantial cudo’s for Victron support in identifying the core cause, drop me a PM, will put the parties in contact.

Ok, thread derailment END

I’m waiting for the SD card … I’ll be back. :cool:

DC ripple. Singular.

I see RippleS:laughing:

So take your book and make like a tree … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

… but I do get your point …

Right USB to RS485 connected, and still no smoke … this is a good day I tell you.

Now we wait for the Rpi Venus SD card to arrive tomorrow if all goes well.

1 Like

BTTF remains a favourite. Even if I’ve seen it 27 times.

It looks as if the DC ripple coincides with low battery. That could of course also happen. A very low battery (or a load that is too much for the battery capacity, or a high impedance link somewhere) could also cause DC ripple. In the end, V=IR (volts equal amps times resistance). If the amps have a 100Hz cycle on them, then a high ripple in V means you have a high R somewhere.

My DC RippleS always happens when the batts are full, NEVER any other time … BUT … as you are aware, my volts are set to quite low.

And it always co-insides with loads coming on/off/on/off …

And there is also the top balancing of the cells to consider … soon I will be able to see each cell’s voltage… and never have a DC Ripple ever again.

The Daly BMS I have must GO!

Nearly there …