CBI Astute - a high current WiFi switch with Power Monitoring

Hmmm @Greenman seems to be a long lost memory from my sordid past…

Nope, because Tasmota is a fix for many ills.

The trouble with light switches is that often you’re missing a neutral. At least, in my house that is the case. House built in the 70s before people used twin-and-earth/surfix for everything… so the light switch gets two red wires only… :slight_smile:

I should be ok then. My house is much younger and I’ve recently replaced all wall sockets with a type that has the non protruding type flush switches. Definitely red and black wires I have.

If you do need a Wifi switch and you don’t have neutral, then these Eachen ligth switches is an option

Tasmota schmota man.

I assume this is some sort of software you put onto it? The type of stuff you guys do is above my paygrade. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have emailed their technical support department to learn whether they’re aware of this problem.

The units will be in the stores in a few weeks. They manufactured 4000 of them.
I am informed that they are not likely to bring out a light switch version because the neutral-less switches are not reliable enough.

Hehe, in the case of the CBI Astute it’s more than software; the actual WiFi chip is changed as well. Not a simple DIY but totally worth it

Very cool. Would probably end up spending money on a couple of them as well.

Any idea what they’re going to cost?

Got them now at Builders for R550. The Builders at Faerie Glen in Pretoria has a couple in stock.

Hi,
The timer/program settings carry a day of the week selection. You can select all 7 days or set up on/off programs for Mon to Fri…then just leave out Sat & Sun …
You can set up Sat & Sun with totally differentiated time schedules.
For enquiries …you are welcome to email: swilson@cbi-electric.com

2 Likes

Welcome Stan!
Are there plans to open up the access to other BMS systems for your Astute devices?

Morning Richard. I am sure today I am going to learn something new from you. In this context, what does BMS stand for?

1 Like

In a few places where I have done some work, the BMS was the Building Management System. I guess that is what Richard was referring to. Since it would be very handy to be able to integrate smart switches into your existing system.

1 Like

Ja! The BMS industry has been around for years. What puzzled me about it (and still does to a degree) is it had its own hardware. So they developed dedicated controllers with propriety networks. See one of these: KNX (standard) - Wikipedia
These all became obsolete just as fast as any other legacy control system leaving all this obsolete equipment needing to be migrated… :frowning:

1 Like

Battery Management System also did not make sense for me :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Stan,

The unit has some sort of software issue/glitch which is a tad frustrating at times.

It would appear that these CBI Astute Smart controllers are very finicky when it comes to switching their scheduled program times on and off.

For example, when I don’t want the geyser to turn on at 04h00 in the mornings on a weekend because we are not home, I will turn that pre programmed setting “switch on at 04h00” setting off.

Turning it back on, is of academic value only, as it then simply does not activate, even though it shows on the screen as being on.

You have to physically remove that scheduled program and re-program it in that time slot for it to turn on again at 04h00

This is has now happened 4 times and I believe it is a software fault/glitch.

Since I’ve had the unit (more than a year now), there had not been a single update to the app.

Are you aware of this issue?

On sale right now: R379 & R419 (plus R90 shipping).

2nd-best I could find is builders for the ASC: R463

1 Like

That’s a really good price if you’re able to self pick-up