3rd Group Buy - Grade A Fully Matched Lifepo4 Cells

One other thing I found out the hard way, is to clearly state the INCO on any parcel you import. The local taxman via any last mile courier are instructed to assume that you have purchased the item with the most unfavourable inco term, if not stated.
In other words, you can pay duty twice, once to the seller and again to the last mile courier.

3 Likes

I just went through my sample quotes for 80 cells: (about a year old)
by sea: $195 CIF
by air: $6342 DDP
Charged by weight for air (+/-485kg), by volume for sea, rounded up to the next cubic meter.
Apparently, 60 batteries to a cubic meter.
So there is a massive difference in price, but it hangs on getting a reliable shipping agent.

The only ballpark figure I could “prise” out of a shipping agent was +/- R30K ZAR for clearance only. Then you add VAT and more hidden sundries, it all adds up.
$195 gets your batteries all the way from China to Durban port, but the next 5km costs mega.

We MUST get a price from China to a address in Cpt/Dbn/Jhb from where one can then distribute.

Otherwise the price simply goes up and up …

I have had the pleasure of seeing what goes into exporting fruit this year and all the paperwork and cold chain management involved, the one thing that has really stood out so far in my experience is : Liability, every guy wants to draw a clear line in the sand where his liability ends.

Thanks Plonkster. Will contact them tomorrow.

I sometimes get it why China is selling things allover the world. Yes, they make most of the things, BUT they know how to get back to…

I’ve been contacting SA Shipping companies left right and center. Still have to get feedback.
While i can ask the Sales Lady and within 1 hours, she gets back to me with price for air and by boat!
BUT… AANHOUER WEN!!!

3 Likes

“Paul introduced us to a connection of his, a connection that imports from China as his job … so there is that too. :wink:

@TheTerribleTriplet A small nudge for this suggestion… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Just in last night … let me post the last reply:
Hallo TTT, ek kan dit inbring maar eers ‘n paar vrae:

Die verskaffer sal dit sekerlik op palette strap?
Die quantities is maar 3cbm – container om die moeite werd te wees, moet minstens 17cbm vat. Nog iemand wil ander goed inbring, dus moet hy maar die res van die spasie op neem.
In wie se naam gaan die invoer plaas vind?
En is daardie party geregistreerd met Customs en Vat registered?

Me, I’m only VAT registered.

The new Eve cells no longer have a tapped connection. It was pretty crap anyway, with a few reported cases of over-torquing resulting in stripped threads. It was only 6mm.
Now the Eve battery electrodes are flat, Amy’s company welds on threaded studs
She sent me a short video clip of this process, but it is mp4 and that type of file is disallowed to attach on this forum.
All cells are grade A with original Eve test certs per cell, and factory-matched sets are available.
They also throw in busbars but they are only 2mm thick, so many people (myself included) asked her to double up on the busbars, to which she happily obliged.
I enquired about DDP by air, it is still available, (at least to me anyway).

1 Like

I have had to fix a LOT of the threads with Heli Coils … cause the bolts were a “spit” too long … so yeah, been there, done that, hold my beer and got the T-shirt …

What are the 280ah Eve cells going for?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-Version-Genuine-Grade-A-EVE_1600191410096.html

You will find them cheaper, but you’ve got to be careful, not all cells sold as new Grade A are actually Grade A. There is the potential to be sold seconds as Grade A from China.
However, Amy has an excellent reputation and has benefited greatly from word of mouth advertising on internet forums, and knows it. So she has skin in the game to provide the best product.

1 Like

Thanks @Phil.g00 , @neliuszeeman , the wman who twisted and broke MY arm, is chatting to Amy, WAS already chatting to Amy. your reference just boosted it a lot more.

Her cells are like ±$40 more than our original idea, methinks, it matters a lot more to have proper cells from day one. So we will see what the final price is on Amy’s cells.

Right, we are going for these cells, thank you @Phil.g00 : New Version Genuine Grade A Eve 3.2v 280ah Lifepo4 Battery Cells For Solar System Ev Rv - Buy Eve,Lifepo4,Rechargeable Battery Product on Alibaba.com

If anyone want to buy with the group, post you totals here, copy/pasting the previous order, to keep a track of the cells to no having to scroll up and down.

With the final total cells, we can get firmer import pricing, as we have a importer on the list of buyers.

TTT: 16 + 1 cell
= 17 cells

Ask for double the number of busbars and all cells professionally matched.

1 Like

OK, on a technical issue, why not 18 cells in series. if your BMS can handle it, with Victron equipment?
Victron charges up to 60Vdc? I don’t see the downside…
No spare cell sitting doing nothing, And now being incapable of overcharging healthy cells so it’s inherently safer.
So you get a bad cell and you drop your settings and you can afford to drop down to 15 cells easy (Pylontech territory)?
Conventions are for the birds, the conventions have to satisfy all inverter/chargers capabilities. But you have Victron equipment, so I’d like a technical reason to dispute my opinion.
I accept if you’ve bought into a 16S BMS, there are cost implications, but the tail shouldn’t wag the dog.

We are focussing on getting 20s BMS’s. :wink:
Ones that can be programmed. See BMS Group Buy

3.33v per cell x 18v = 59.94v
Even 3.3v per cell = 59.4v

… mmm …

I would also like to know why not?

With all these options … I cannot see why not?

We are here:
TTT: 16+1 sel
Jasper: 32 +1 Sel
Cornelius = 16 +1 sel
Paul: 8 + 1 sel
Albert: 16+1
Dewald: 20
= 113 cells from New Version Genuine Grade A Eve 3.2v 280ah Lifepo4 Battery Cells For Solar System Ev Rv - Buy Eve,Lifepo4,Rechargeable Battery Product on Alibaba.com

Once we have the total cells = volume and weight = then we can get a quote on landing costs, excl VAT and Customs charges.

You don’t have to kill yourselves:
Rome wasn’t built in a day…
Then again, I wasn’t foreman on that job.

3 Likes