3rd Group Buy - Grade A Fully Matched Lifepo4 Cells

My 150ah cells are rated at wot 3000(?) cycles if memory serves.

So yes, as you point out, I can make the 150ah bank last 6000 cycles … but is that comparing apples with apples?

The first order cells are rated at 4000 cycles … this order 6000.

And THAT is comparing apples with apples. :wink:

That is sort of my point. Marketing can get any number they like by setting the test conditions favourably. My own batteries are rated only 2000 cycles. 100% DoD, 1C discharge, EOL at 80%. Very hard to compare to the exact same cell, used by another manufacturer, who got 7000 cycles by using a C/10 rate :slight_smile:

1st Order, cells have arrived - did NOT see it coming, being a day early! YES!!!

Titbit:
Delivery people expected a forklift being 62 boxes thoroughly and securely wrapped on 2 pallets … or otherwise put, 755kg in 62 boxes.

Yes we have a forklift, I said … me pointing to my son and I … you’re looking at it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
… got a good workout today …

Also very well packed …

… and a LOT of boxes …

Next order is now a go … want to see if we can time it with the same ship, as it goes:
CPT – > China – > Dbn – > CPT – > China …
… for delivery to SA ±1st week in Oct … assuming there are no unforeseen drama’s, that we can use the same ship … and IF we move quick.

If I may ask … spread the word, for all those DIY’ers out there, please?

1 Like

Warning to @TheTerribleTriplet 's family and friends… if you think he is missing - check the garage!
He is there for the next “populate field with large random number” days.
Please notify local fire brigade in case of smoke…

1 Like

Aaah yes. I also had a delivery truck show up on a Saturday morning with a big wooden crate weighting well over 100kg. And the driver asked me about a forklift, and I said: Does it look like I own a forklift?

fokleft

We got that crate off by sliding it down an alluminium ladder. The ladder still has a dent in it…

Mmmm, I wonder why is everybody saying similar now that I have 124 cells at my house … :wink:

So I was wondering …
Connect 6 x 18 cell banks to a busbar to my inverter - that takes care of 108 cells, right?
Have 16 left … make a 24v x 16 cell bank sommer just because it is left over … ja?

Come on … I know what you are thinking … Why NOT!?

Makes a LOT of sense!?
AND it is along the lines of that app “Eskom se Push”, no?

BUUUUT … then it dawned upon me … not gonna work … would probably maybe need another panel"tjie" or two … :man_facepalming:

What do you think?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

280ah 6kg vs 150ah 2.94kg …

Titbit:
To send 51 cells in 26 boxes 12.2kg 27x30x27cm from Cpt to Jhb costs R 3 063,95

16 cells cost R 958.69

Drop a spanner on those terminals and film the result. Please. You now you want to :stuck_out_tongue:

Use the 15mm. It’s not used for much else…

No … just NO … … … … I SO want to do it! :laughing:

I once split the splastic from the wires on my RC LiPo battery to fit a new connector and without thinking cut both the + and - wires in one go.
Seeing what that small LiPo did to the knife I think the spanner stands no chance against a 280Ah beast

1 Like

Absolutely none …

I imagine how the spanner start to instantly melt and the hot molten metal dripping onto the casing, melting a hole right through … and then the cell will have a runaway thermal reaction …

THAT would be an epic show!!!

Now where did I put the No 15 …

Right, first order is just complete … time for the 2nd one … who’s in?

1 Like

The 16 would do as well. There are just some sizes that doesn’t seem to be used often. If you own a Japenese car, then of course it is 10, 12, 14, 17, and 22 for the wheel bearings. A 13 for some old battery terminals, and a 19 for the occasional bulky spark plug… but I never really see 15s or 16s. Of course a 14 is also a 9/16" and a 19 is a 3/4", so those double on older British and American vehicles… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get a BMW, you’ll quickly find a way to use 15’s and 16’s

1 Like

I used to have an old Honda motorcycle and it had M7 bolts. The heads still fit a 10 spanner/socket, so I initially thought they were M6 until I discovered than an M6 was too small and an M8 was too big. That had me scratching my head a bit so I took a sample to a local supplier and when I said it’s from a Honda he said something like ‘Oh, yes, the Japanese use uncommon sizes’ and then he rummaged around in the back and found me exactly what I needed.

1 Like

Aaah I did that once. All I remember was it used a lot of Torx screws… After a while I stopped putting all of them back in, since they so frequently had to be removed…

I must say, me charging the cells in batches of 4, using a 12v MP 500VA to get the bulk charge done, then I connect the 4 cells in parallel, and finish off with the EV-Peak till it beeps, I’m seriously impressed so far.

Last step is to connect the entire 16/18 cells parallel, then top up once more with the EV-Peak, then let it rest and check all 16/18 volts for top balancing.

Anyone whom has a suggestion to do it better … please share?

To the top they stay inline … 0.009v between the 4 … my 150ah has NEVER been that close this high up on the SOC EVER!

I think, with the right BMS, the voltages and all that set with foresight, then this could become a very real option using Grade A Batch Matched cells used “lightly”, like @Phil.g00 suggestion on 17/18 cells in a bank:

This is what impresses me the most … each cells data on a system in China …

Watched the video and its interesting but made me wonder if only charging to 75-80% will mess up the balancing of the cells as I thought lithium has to go to full charge voltage for balancing to happen.