What happened to Murphy?

Remember Murphy’s Law?

What happened to Murphy?..

Absolutely nothing, he’s alive and well…

Up to his bull"law" as usual. Believe me, I know the guy well…

Before this conversation can start, perhaps everyone should be on the same page as to what Murphy’s law actually is?

2 Likes

I literally just posted on the septic tank thread before I read this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If you tell someone how well something you have is working it will break the next day.

How about Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_lawhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

Is it Murphy’s Law that the link you posted to Murphy’s Law doesn’t work?

Remember, Murphy is an optimist!

The saying, and “Bob’s your uncle” … he is Murphy’s brother.

I know the two shiites very well.

The story goes that Murphy was an engineer who said that a particular mechanical part has to be made in such a way that it would only fit in one position, because if it is possible to get it wrong, someone will get it wrong. A rather common-sense position. Then it got dumbed down to the much simpler “everything that can go wrong will go wrong”, which then also grew a few corollaries:

1. The odds of anything going wrong is directly proportional to the cost of repairing that item.
  2. When multiple things can go wrong, the most expensive one goes wrong.
  3. If there is a worse time for things to go wrong, that is when it will.
  4. If you have thought of n ways in which things might go wrong, an n+1’th way will promply develop.
  5. Left to themselves, things go from bad to worse.
  6. A proof of Murphy’s law is impossible. Whenever you set out to prove it, the proof turns out false.

There is also this song which I quite enjoy, but you need to understand German for it.

You have it good with the boss? Then you get a new boss! That is Murphy’s law.
Do I not want to see you? Oh, then guess who I run into! That is Murphy’s law.
When you have free time it rains. The other queue always moves faster.
Yes it always goes wrong when it can. That is Murphy’s law.

When you are looking for something, it is not where you are searching. That is Murphy’s law.
Shortly after the warranty expires your car brokes down. That is Murphy’s law.
Good friends come and go. But the enemies around you accumulate.
Yes it always goes wrong when it can. That is Murphy’s law.

On my way to you, all the traffic lights were red! And the only available parking spot was absolutely forbidden to park.
I forget the flowers on my way to you, I take the ring from my pocket and I know you will say no.
So it is decreed by Murphy’s law.

Is she beautiful? Then she will have a boyfriend. Is he handsome? At least as well! That is Murphy’s law.
Before the wedding still slim, thereafter grows the bum and the stomach. That is murphy’s law!
When you’re just having fun she becomes pregnant. And when you’re serious, well get back in line! There is already someone else there. That is Murphy’s law.