Water (Fresh, Grey and Black ;))

Hmmm… How do they do this calculation?

They just take the amount of water you used in kl multiplied by 0.6 or something and say that that is your sewerage usage.

1 Like

amount of water use devided by 1.6 = Sewerage cost

Just because I’m a bit pedantic, dividing by 1.6 is the same as multiplying by 0.625.

hahahahah!!! that is just another level. I didn’t even looked at that way. You way more clever then me :slight_smile:

That also happens to be how you convert American distance units to kilometers. Your mileage may vary depending on which method you pick.

1 Like

I multiply 5/8 to convert km to miles and 8/5 to convert miles to km. It’s quite easy to do in your head that way, but yes it’s essentially the same as multiplying by 0.625 and 1.6.

1 Like

Oh man, that makes me think of working on old British vehicles with imperial nuts and bolts. So 9/16 is 14mm, and 11/16 is more or less 17mm, so 5/8 is this weird orphan in the middle that we had a lot of on Imperial vehicles, but is pretty much unheard of on metric vehicles :slight_smile:

Aaaaaaa brings back old memories working on landies.

1 Like

Murphy’s law I had a problem with the septic tank today. :face_vomiting:

Water was backing up and starting to seep out the sealed rodding eye. So open the septic tank and level is good but the inspection point before the tank starts over flowing as soon as I remove the cap. So realized there is blockage between the last bend and the tank. Tried clearing with hose and also some wire but bend is blocked with toilet paper. So took a plunger and it fits perfectly in the 110mm pipe and plunge up and down and the water pump effect cleared everything and water started flowing into tank. Emergency averted.

One thing that looked so creepy but also amazing at the same time is that inside the septic tank it hardly smells and on the surface it was literally crawling with 1000s of worms and other creepy things, so the tank is at least healthy but man I wouldn’t want to fall in there.

3 Likes

Indeed. I think that’s the most awesome part of this (frankly medieval) technology!

Looking at using the grey water bath, shower and washing machine on the garden. I think I’ll skip the kitchen sink because apparently that really stinks and starts creating a mess with the piping etc.
How do you guys do this, do you simply have pipes running from the bathrooms on to the garden, pipes that you move around every couple of days? or do you let the water go into a tank and then irrigate from there using a small pump?

My brother went full-on greywater harvesting. He was so chaffed.

#DayZero, we went full into it.

He stopped, as did we.

Unless it is your thing, it is a mission.

Make sure you want to do it year after year. That it has tangible benefits.

1 Like

I got 2 of that 220l blue drums under the ground to catch the one bathroom bath and shower water and the washing machine water. Just do your plumping correct that the drums can get air. I design mine that it’s got breather pipes at the top where the water go’s in, and the bottom part is connect with a T to the pump. Just add a filter after pump out because some stuff will get stuck in your irrigation system.

2 Likes

ja nee, thank gard I got rid of my water sapping garden years ago (pre drought era) - got tired of watering / cutting / mowing / cleaning / pruning / feeding etc. re-landscaped with rocks / succulents - they can go find their own water. :grinning: