Victron weather forecast

At last a good use for AI. :rofl:

1 Like

AI starting to eat the World…

SlimgatGroetnis

Nice, even the widget got an update

Slick…

VoorspeldeGroetnis

The Forecast for today, was much higher, adjusted immensely …

And then you have a sunny day (which is obviously a lot easier for Solcast to get right) where I tend to generate slightly more than forecast (until the battery is full):

Interesting, this new message on VRM

Love the new display:

I’ll just say… watch this space :slight_smile:

Good integration with Victron car charges I can assume. The house batteries will discharge into the car based on the incoming solar and predicted load, so at the end of the day, you still have full batteries.

I think it has to be a good deal smarter than that.
It also has to know/learn your car charging/travel routine.
Then there is load-shedding.
Then, you will occasionally want to override the automated features.
Throw in time-of-use prices for international users.
If you think about it, it can become complicated pdq.
I think Victron are better off providing the building blocks in Node-RED.

This is the Victron yield forecast:

And this is the weather forecast:

Something does not compute.

Interesting. Bug?

When it started running, the forecast, I could see it adjusting over the days, and weeks, as the AI learned my site’s peculiarities.

Only time it is now "out’, is with the weather. Can predict it, but cannot pinpoint to the T (just one) exactly what will happen.

Also, it is a WIP.

Case point:

Yeah, BMS 17% and BMV 13% SOC, I did not check the weather last night. :slight_smile:

Done on purpose, to “stretch” the banks legs a bit.

They are using an external service for the solar numbers. Could be solcast… not sure.

Learning someone’s consumption profile is complex, and the best is going to be to ask the user to provide that info. You know roughly how far you travel in a day, you know how much extra kWh needs to be reserved so the car can charge tonight.

But also, DynamicESS (a system where you buy and sell automatically based on grid pricing) is almost ready for release (it is in Beta) in Europe right now, and something that is probably even more important, is also charging the car (and running the heat pump) when the grid pricing is low. There’s a bit of a shift in how people use these systems: To reduce the cost rather than the consumption (not necessarily the same thing). In a DynamicESS system, you may find the system charging in the middle of the day, and you may find that odd: But some algorithm has decided it is cheaper to buy now and use it tonight…

Edit: And on that topic, then you get the extra restrictions from the different countries. Germany, for example, has anti-greenwashing rules. Greenwashing is when you buy (potentially dirty) grid power, store it in the battery, and sell it later as “green” energy. Therefore in Germany, you can sell from the battery as long as you never charge from the grid, or you can buy into the battery, but then you are only allowed to export PV.

Certianly looks like a possibility.

Your graph looks about the same as mine. It seems oblivious to the weather forecast, and it also doesn’t learn from its own bad prior predictions for the same day:

I wonder how your use of NR to fiddle the SOC during the day causes issues (resets?).

If you leave it for a week and don’t change things… would be interesting if it got more accurate.

Nope. Not from what I’ve seen. I use the YR Weather App, pretty damn near spot on. We are supposed to have clouds today, the FC was lower BUT what is nearly impossible to predict is how thick the cloud cover is. What irradiation actually will predictably hit the panels?

It is just one of those things that is nearly impossible to predict.

Fiddle the SOC. Ingenious use of the word. :rofl:

SOC increase has nothing to do with the FC, the weather, or the cloud thickness.

Right now, if I leave it, my system would have been stuck on 13%/17% SOC.

So, I assist a wee bit. Manually up the SOC ever so slowly to keep the system in ESS #1 mode … use solar only to charge the batts, Eskom to power the house.

Until the panels can take over to power the house and recharge the batts.

Like so:

NOW the SOC increase, slots of 10%, will slowly increase during the day, for evening use, instead of maximizing daytime use. Spreading the load basically, over 24h.

Edit: Geysers will have to wait until batts are charged.

See here … still no “sun” just cloud all over.

No one can predict that!

What?

The YR App says clearly: Cloudy. You cannot see the sun itself, just white clouds. :slight_smile:

And you will burn to a crisp if you are a Valie wanting to go to Blouberg and “sit on the beach” today.

The point I’m making, minute to minute, hour to hour, forget to match that with predictions, or forecasts.

Lies, damn lies, forecast.

Our friend Andy believes this is the BEST PV weather!