Victron Multiplus + Pylontech high voltage alarm

GX (MP-II GX):
MPPTs:

Latest Venus version? 3.13?

Where do I find that? (remember, my Multi is my GX device)

This?

Yes. That is quite an old version. v3.13 is the latest official (not beta)

Yes but they are basically 2 separate devices in the same case.

Ok, firmware updates are a bit beyond me, I’ll reach out to @JacoDeJongh and buy some of his time to get it done.

GX and MPPT are easy… MP not as much.

VRM → Device List → Firmware upgrades

So, this could be totally co-incidental…

I have 6 x US3000c Pylontech’s that were working fine without any issues for the last 6 odd months. Updated the Cerbo FW to 3.12 about a month ago and started getting high voltage errors on Battery 3. It would throw about 6-15 high voltage alarms and then settle after that. Tried everything even reducing max charge voltage to 51.8 volts but the batteries would continue to charge beyond that. Today, updated cerbo FW to 3.13 and problem seems to have disappeared. Even increased max charge voltage to 52.8 just to see what happens and no high voltages. The cerbo definitely seems to have better control in FW 3.13.

There have been not only Venus firmware updates, but here and there inverter updates too, to tie in with the Venus Firmware updates, in and around ESS, batts “en watookalnogalles”.

It is more pertinently mentioned in the Release Candidate beta users.

Update it all, Venus, inverter, MPPTs, BMV - all of it, to the latest firmwares, that is what Victron would say to do first in any case. Pylontech probably too.

1 Like

Hi, ill get a cable to you, Anydesk is our friend and we’ll sort it together.

Or ill give you the pinout if you have a usb to Rs232 converter.

1 Like

I was under the impression you could do firmware updates through VRM?

If its possible, i am not aware of that, or just old-school and sticking to my old ways. Are we talking about Pylontech firmware updates?

Ok, @JacoDeJongh has updated all my (VRM) things, will see if the alarm reappears.
Thanks!

1 Like

Through VRM in under 13min (post 95-96 times :wink: )

Mooi @JacoDeJongh

Just check back to that post from Plonk too, now that all is updated and all that.

Also, give it a wee bit of time to fix itself.

You now are back to Zero, see if the problem is resolved in the next few days, at least, improving day after day.

Last thought, you did see this post from Albert and Warwick, on his issue on his batts?

I’ve noticed weird things in the last two days.

OK granted, perhaps plonkster is on to something - one of my automations (the one that runs the geyser from the grid) probably went AWOL - so my grid-set point was set to 5000w from some time yesterday. I found this out tonight and reset it to it usual 20W and the battery started discharging.

But during this time my battery voltage would go up by itself even while the SOC was 100%:

You can see it was fairly stable at 52.7v up till around 11:00, then it just went up to 53.87v.

On the highest cell levels you can also see this “bump” up during that time?

I haven’t seen this behaviour before.

Edit: versions:

2x of these, the same firmware/software levels:

EDIT 2: OK, it seems to be related on my grid set-point - the first spike happened yesterday when my Home assistant set the grid set point to 5000w (the reason why I set it is to allow the 4kw geyser to run “from the grid” without discharging the battery - during periods of low solar yield. Something went wrong and it never reset it back to 20w. I also didn’t have loadshedding during this time.

Instead of doing it like that, it is not “normal” to have a grid-set-point of 5kw, it is freaky, control the inverter’s max watts to match the panels, to not drain the battery when there is no LS, for big loads.

At least, that is what I did. Rainy days, geyser on, Eskom is used, not the batts.