Victron Multiplus + Pylontech high voltage alarm

OK I’ve seen some high voltage cells again: the third battery had a cell spike to 3.57v before coming back down. It is same one that previously had a spike - used to be pack 2, then I moved it on @Thaelian’s suggestion to pack 3).

It happened as the batteries reached around 92% SOC. I can see that the charge current to this battery was already dropping fast at the time.

I dropped the current limits yestday since we had so much loadshedding and guests over, with only a 2h window between loadshedding sessions. So each battery was accepting almost 20A from the grid.

No alarms in VRM. Is this still normal behaviour?

Edit: Mmm actually just noticed that all three batteries flirted around 3.55v in the highest voltage cells this morning. :man_shrugging:

Pylontech batteries actually have really narrow margins in my opinion. If you consider that the voltage they advertise as charge voltage (53.2V) equates to 3.55V already, but the battery throws a hissy fit if you touch 3.6V? That’s way too narrow…

In this game – again in my opinion – you decide which side of the park you want to play in. You either play on the lower-voltage end, battery is full at 3.45V or not much above that. Or you play on the high voltage end, but then you have to allow cells to step out to 3.75V or more. It will not damage them, a proper LFP cell is fine with that kind of occasional voltage (though, I do wonder if the cells in Pylontech batteries do not differ somewhat?).

PT seems to be playing on both sides… :slight_smile:

Thanks Plonkster for the opinion. so if I leave the charge voltage lower (currently DVCC is at 52.7v but the plan was to still increase it back to PT’s 53.2v) will I effectively “undercharge” them and keep the cells lower?

In my experience, 52.8V is ample. The balancer starts at 3.485V-ish per cell, that’s around 52.2V. A bit of offset always helps. I really see no reason why one has to go so high up (to 53.2V). Also, in a Victron system it will be capped at 52.4V anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks Plonkster, appreciate the advice.

Mmm seems this will be a daily occurance - see 18:00 last night. PV were waning at the time and the house had started using some battery, then the grid just came back on (the Eskom “chart” at the top is slightly off-center to the other two). The system was set to keep the batteries charged so then it immediately started charging the batteries. The SOC was 86% when the power came back on and was around 98% when the spike occurred.

This time it spiked to 3.65v in the cell(s) that had the high voltage. Once again you can see it dropped the current to battery 3 at the time already. Still no alarm to the VenusGX. It recovers fairly quick afterwards and the cells come in line.

Is it worthwhile to contact Pylontech support? Or should I just see if I can get the battery swopped out? Or just live with it?

@ebendl My opinion, the first point of reference for a warranty claim is Pylontech will check the BMS data and firstly check for high temperatures and charge and discharge voltages and currents. If there is no visable swelling of the battery, and the battery has only had one high cell voltage alarm on VRM then I would let sleeping dogs lie.

One high cell that isnt triggering an alarm is unlikely to trigger a warranty replacement.

Once you have a history of high cell voltage alarms, then contact the supplier for a warranty claim.

1 Like

Sigh, some high voltage warnings back again today after almost a month after the last.

The problamatic battery (Number 3) definitely behaves different compared to the other two - I can see it ramps down charging current much sooner than the other two, it of course has the much higher cell voltages that starts early and even it’s lowest cell voltages are higher.

I am still limiting the voltage and current but relatively close to what it was.

Looks like a replacement under warranty is on the cards. I would send the battery logs to service@pylontech.com.cn and ask for further instructions.

I bought 4 batteries back in 2020 that presumably came from a bad batch and so far 3 of the 4 have exhibited the same kind of behaviour you’re seeing. Pylontech arranged for a swapout on each occasion.

Obviously I would have preferred not to have issues with the batteries at all, but their after sales service has been great so I can’t really complain.

Ugh, yeah, tonight it is at a new level.

Came home with the VenusGX actively beeping.

First time I’m getting a warning that doesn’t disappear by iteself:

Looking in MultiSIBConrol / BatteryView:

@PierreJ did this happen recently? Thanks for the adivce, I will email them.

The first one failed a couple of months in. The last one was swapped two months ago. The fourth still seems to be doing ok (touch wood).

It was definitely a bad batch, because I haven’t had any failures in the 20+ others that I’ve bought.

Something is wrong with your configuration. You’re pushing 54V, which is too high for Pylontech batteries. I never take mine above 52.5V.

I know - that’s why I said today is “next level wrongness”. I’ve never seen this before.

This is what the max charge voltage was set to:

What are the charge voltages of your Multi and MPPT set to? I’ve got both my Multi and SmartSolar set to 52V, so if there’s ever a communication issue with the GX device that they don’t run amok and overcharge the batteries.

While there’s communication between them the GX device will override whatever they are set to.

Do you mean these (Battery → Parameters)? I’ve never set charging voltages on the system myself, other than the DVCC values as discussed earlier in the thread:

Looking at the high cell voltages again it does seem to be the one battery that consistently has a high voltage cell:

But at the same time, all of them seems higher than normal tonight:

No, I am referrring to this:
(Multiplus charge settings in VEConfigure)

and this:

(MPPT battery settings in VictronConnect)

I’m beginning to think this might be something else.

Simply this: When you’re running grid-parallel (ie with ESS), you should think of the battery as being connected to the grid in parallel. Of course not literally, there are a few components in the middle to regulate things, but in essence.

If the grid voltage goes up… so does the battery. If the grid voltage drops down, so does the battery. Of course with a ratio of about 4:1 or thereabouts, constantly adjusted as the multi tries to regulate the battery voltage.

Same happens if the frequency fluctuates, if the PLC in the Multi lags behind, the voltage technically leads and energy flows into the battery, and the other way around, energy flows out of the battery.

The multi constantly tries to regulate this, but the process is not symmetric. Sometimes more energy slips in than what slips out.

If you have the “Feed excess DC coupled PV” setting on, then the energy slips out easily. The Multi is programmed to do it.

If that setting is off, then this is of course not allowed, and things become grossly asymmetric.

This issue is relatively rare. It only affects places where the batteries are not cycled, or where the grid voltage is not stable. I’ve seen a handful of cases where a large PV-inverter pushing against a thin cable to the utility pushed the utility voltage up by 5V every time the sun emerged from behind a cloud… that was quite funny as well.

In any case. Something needs to be done to allow that energy to slip out again. Literally allow it to slosh back into the grid in small amounts.

The symptoms: You’ll see a gradual increase in voltage over the long term. The current reported by the multi will be an average of zero, but you’ll see it swing up to a few amps, then negative a few amps, in a cycle.

I’m actually talking to the firmware guy about this since yesterday. And maybe this has just become urgent enough to deal with it now. I may ask you later if I can test a solution at your site.

Are you sure all devices are communicating like this or is there maybe an MPPT which has lost it’s connection - ie a plug is lose on the mppt or GX?

As of Sunday, I’m now also seeing these errors on my 3 year old system:

Not quite sure what my next steps should be.

Can you update us with GX software version and the MPPT/MP’s as well.