Victron Multiplus II & Hubble AM2 losing charge

Thanks for the feedback @Marcil7

I am happy to hear that this resolved your issue.

I have a Cloudlink, but also 3x AM2 batteries in parallel so it probably only updated the firmware of the master battery? Did you have to connect the cloudlink to the RS485, CAN or the RS232 of the battery to perform the firmware update? Could you advise on how I can check the current firmware of the battery?

I paid R1950 ex VAT for the cloudlink (I think they reduced the price) so that I can run the batteries using the Victron extended protocol and have everything managed by the cloudlink as per Hubble’s recommendation, but wow, the cloudlink is very underwhelming and extremely limited in the information it shows the end user - basically useless. And the couple of parameters it does show appears to only be from the master battery. Worst of all is that it is using up the RS232 port so I can’t even run a solar assistant setup which gives all of the information of all of the batteries. I might still opt to get a solar assistant set up for deep diagnostics if needed.

1 Like

@VerticalEaz1 - I connected the RS232 (AM2) to the S-Port on the RIOT and the CAN on the RIOT to the BMS-CAN of the Cerbo GX (Victron Type B Cable).
I fully agree with you, I’m also totally underwhelmed with the abilities of this R2000 - R4500 box.
Hope you get the battery firmware updated.

OK so I have updated the firmware on all of my batteries. It seems to have solved the problem :grin:

Is there something obvious that the update changed, such as the charge voltage for example.

I couldn’t see the individual battery voltages because the cloudlink doesn’t expose that data but the average voltage were always around 53.6V so I don’t think the update changed the voltage curves, perhaps only the relationship between voltage and SoC were fixed. But this is only speculation on my part. It would have been nice if Hubble kept a firmware change log but I don’t think their goal is for the end user to be too hands on.

My guess is that they changed the voltage at which it starts balancing. It is possible that it was so misconfigured that the voltage threshold for balancing was higher than the charge voltage, so it never balanced.

To add, what I’ve seen the last few months, depending on make/model/type of cells used, it can be an interesting exercise to find that “sweet spot”, being very dependent on how hard, or not, the cells are cycled daily.

Like with the lead-acid of days past, we now have the same learning curve with Lifepo4.

Love it!

1 Like

You should be able to get that info from the datasheet (by looking at the cycle curves). And in the case where you have a cycle guarantee, you should not have to.

Hi All,

sorry to post so long after this discussion, but I have just completed my installation of a Victron Multiplus II and a Hubble AM2 and am experiencing the same issue. I emailed support after reading this thread and asked for help and possibly to get the firmware to update the unit myself but the response was “you have to buy a Cloudlink”. Has anyone successfully updated themselves? @Marcil7 where did you get a loan unit from? I’m in Durban so presume taking it in somewhere or getting a loan Cloudlink might not be an option

Hi there, a loan unit will entirely depend on your local Hubble supplier. The update did not resolve my issues. My problem was with the set-up. I got the manager of the CT branch to log into my system - which required the Cloudlink. He made some changes on my cloudlink setup and on the Victron setup. I am a happy customer after much frustration. I see there is a service centre in Durban. You can take the battery directly to them for the necessary firmware updates, but the setup settings are critical to resolve the charge issue.
I wish they would update their online Victron setup instructions.

Thanks so much for the quick response Marcil,
just to confirm, did you keep the Cloudlink in your system or it was simply to allow the remote support and you are running fine without it now?
Did you setup the ESS assistant yourself? I put in all the values from the Hubble website and still behaving in this way.

@Marcil7 you could always download your settings using the Remote VEConfigure option in VRM Device List and then @Klinejvr can upload and/or edit that to his set up.

No problem at all. I kept the Cloudlink.
No, I had my installer do the ESS set-up.

Morning @Klinejvr, did you manage to get sorted with your Hubble and settings?

Morning @Marcil7 ,
I purchased a cloudlink, I would not put my name on that if I constructed a good looking, polished product like the AM-2. I could not get it to change anything until Tuesday where I went into my VRM and noticed it still said Pylontech as my battery monitor, even though it was displaying correctly as a “Hubble AM-2” and i had done a re-detect of the battery and a restart of the system. I deleted it in the VRM and it immediately reappear as a generic BMS device. The battery then charged to 100% at 53.7V. But then now the new set of issues has begun. High Voltage alarms reported from the Hubble yesterday afternoon and now I have noticed that the data logged to the hubble cloud is not at all matching that which it is reporting to the Victron system. Hubble support have been less than helpful. I have sent a long email to them now, hopefully i will have a useful reply.

First order of business, limit the charging voltage in DVCC:
My example for the BYD. Look up what your max voltage needs to be…

Groetnis

That is correct. The Max charge voltage must be set to 53.7V as per Hubble.

Thanks @Sarel.Wagner,
this was the next thing to try this evening. The Hubble guide on their site says ensure all other settings on the DVCC page are disabled which is what mine currently is. I shall force the limit as suggested and see if that solves things.

Yes, unfortunately the Victron and Hubble don’t work together without the Cloudlink. If this is a requirement, Hubble should include it with the batteries and not sell it separately.
The Charge voltage is correct as per Marius at Hubble in CT. My Charge Voltage Limit is set to 53.7V. Same with your MPPT - charge voltage - 53.7V
I also get the High Voltage Alarm every now and then.
Unfortunately the Victron does not talk to the Cloudlink as it should or could. It’s an issue between Victron and Hubble. Hoping that will get sorted in the future, because I do like the Cloudlink reporting.