Victron - Grid Relay test fault

Please navigate into that menu so we can see what the failing step is, and whether it is an error 8 (specific to the bonding relay) or an error 11 (related to the transfer switch). Kinda important… :slight_smile:

Hi Plonkster
of course , sorry for my oversight
Phase L1 device 1(0) .
Last VE Bus error 11 report 0x800805

BF Safety test in progress fail;ing step 8

I put together detailed report see below

Victron error 11

My Setup

• 48v

• Victron lynx distributor

• Victron lynx power in

• Victron lynx shunt

• Mppt 150/80/vcan

• Multiplus 11 230 5kw

• Current sense

• 3 optimisers not connected

• 12v 200ah agm gel = 48v – need to replace as soon as system, working with lithium

• 112 current sense not connected yet

• Fuses cut off switches etc

• Critical loads circuit

• Bypass switch

• Dump load – geyser into 1.5 kw geyser wise not connected yet

• 12 v pump not connected yet

• Current sense not connected yet

ealer and get a RMA number

Alright! It is an error 11, failing at step 8 (which is the first step, it counts backwards from 9 (init) to 0 (connect). Step 8 is where it checks that earth and neutal is at the same potential.

A common reason for a failure at step 8 is because live and neutral is swapped. Pretty common on boats with a Euro-style shore supply, but I digress.

I’ve also seen it show up if the Victron unit is not correctly earthed.

It can also indicate that your municipal supply is not correctly bonded. If you measure from the neutral connection on AC-in, to the case, you should get a reading very close to 0V (a few 100mV is acceptable). If not, then that is the reason the relay test fails.

@geb did the above info help resolve your issue? If not how did you resolve your issue?

Good day,

Since Sunday the inverter (Multiplus II 3kva) has been giving “VE.Bus Error 11: Relay test fault”. The hex code is 0x800605 as shown in the picture. This fault occurs during changeover when loadshedding ends. I tried to simulate loadshedding by switching off Eskom and on again with varying results, sometimes the fault occurs, sometimes it doesn’t occur. What is the meaning of this error code and how fix this fault?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:ve.bus_error_codes

Error 11 indicates a failed automatic self-test of the MultiPlus-II or EasySolar-II relays
It is often a result of an installation or wiring issue, though it can also be triggered by a hardware failure (eg inoperable relays).

1 Like
1 Like

Thank @TheTerribleTriplet for the links. This problem started after outdoor lights were replaced and extractor fans installed in bathrooms, so I’ve asked an electrician to recheck the connections for possible issues.

Yeah, also had an extractor fan installed, that stopped working after 2 days.

The guys came back, and nothing was wrong on their side. Got the fan working again, connecting it directly.

Sparkies came back, turns out the brand-new light switch, 2 weeks old, became faulty.

Cost me an additional R900 callout fee.

Bugger.

EDIT: What I do like about solar systems, Victron specifically, is when they have an error, 99% it is a problem that needs to be fixed in the house circuits. The 1% is the equipment failing.

As someone who (I believe) solved this issue within the last 24 hours:
Check all your light wiring. All of it.
Mine was a series of old cloth/paper wrapped wires in metal pipes. The coverings degrade and touch the pipes, linking neutral to earth.

1 Like