This is why you never hire an electrician to do installations

A firmware upgrade would be great Jaco thanks!

I will be home for at least the whole of March and probably Feb as well.

Anytime you have time or are in neighborhood.

So in my quest to automate my house, I am now moving to the garage door. I bought the same unit as for the gate which runs on the Connex Connect app.

To make installation easier, Iā€™m opting to wire the unit directly to the motor instead of the trigger switch at the wall.

Attached is a photo of the small pc board of the Pro Alpha 2000 garage door motor and the wires going into it that comes from the wall mounted trigger switch.

So the positive and negative trigger wire of the wifi unit, where would these go?

Though not visible from the photo, the connector to the very left is negative.

As I recall that Conex thing needed a 230V supply, and I donā€™t see any in your picture.

Taking a wild stab at the rest, the black and red wires to the right looks like the usual 12V supply, probably going to the external remote control receiver (thatā€™s what is in the picturem right?). It looks as if someone put the wires the wrong way round, red seems to be wired to the terminal labelled NEG. Niceā€¦

I assume the green and white wires opens the door when shorted together. So the trigger wire of the conex would go to the same two terminals, in parallel.

Easy to test. Take a bit of wire, short the green and white terminals together, check that the door opens.

Man, if I asked this question here and it was speculated what goes where me and the infamous smoke would have had a conversation.

:rofl:

I feel fairly confident in advising a short between green and white, since the terminals are marked common and N/O (normally open). That means there is a relay wired to those terminals, which is also how I deduce that Iā€™m looking at a picture of the remote receiver.

The red and black wires being the wrong way aroundā€¦ what I mean is they break the convention. It is perfectly fine to use whatever colour you want, as long as you do it on both sides. But in general, we prefer black to be negative and red to be positive. So just watch outā€¦ use a DMM and make sure, donā€™t trust the colours.

There is a plug right next to the garage motor so that part is covered.

This immediately ticked me off but the thing works so I donā€™t want to mess with it.

Now this has me exited. Going to do that shortly.

Digital multimeter to check for polarity on black and red, check.

No smoke!!! :laughing:

Plonkster for president!!! Green and white are the trigger wires.

Thank you so so much! The polarity test must wait because my one multimeter I left in the wifeā€™s car when we went to replace her battery, and the other one resides permanently with my mother when I help with odd jobbies there.

1 Like

You probably donā€™t even need to worry about those two wires. You arenā€™t using them. Youā€™re using the green and white wires to trigger, powering from a separate 230V supply, and the open/closed sensor is that reed switch thing which you will mount to the door itself. If my calculations are correct, you have everything you need already.

Also true!

eish and i thought i was colour blindā€¦ even at greyscale this is a disaster - rainbow nation comes to mind :see_no_evil: