System struck by Lightning

Hmm reminds me to add panels to insurance of my system.

1 Like

Also related to lightning strike…
2nd time in 4 months lightning “destroyed” system - Victron Quattro 8kVA + Cerbo and EM + 2 x Battery BMS all smokeless! That having been said - I was advised that the current setup where the ‘supply to inverter from Main DB’ and ‘inverter essentials output supply back to Main DB’ is done using a 4 core + earth SWA cable buried in sleeve is not good practice and that should be 2 x 2core. What would some educated opinions be in this regard…?

Lightning can damage equipment via the grid supply or via your wiring within your building. It’s less likely from the grid since these cables are normally buried underground.
It’s very difficult to protect equipment from lightning. The modems that were used for internet access were notorious for being hammered by transients on the phone lines. The solution was to disconnect the phone connection during storms.
If you have an expensive solar system I recommend you disconnect all external (PV panels & grid) wiring from it during electric storms. These typically don’t last very long.
Your inverter system should also be installed in your main building rather than a stand alone garage etc.
PS: Most important is that you insure your system and include it with your building insurance!

Point 1. isn’t always possible (if you have proper fusing and protection, etc you should be fine in most cases.
Point 2. (not in garage) I disagree with - I want mine away from the main house for noise and safety considerations (I would recommend that as well).
Point 3. Yes - insure but that’s a given and I think required!

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tian Power BMS

What happened in this case, were you able to get the equipment repaired?