System struck by Lightning

Legend man!! thanks for your help there!!! I try to check everywhere. He had some really good stuff that he posted and updates. To what I can see he is a old electrical engineer.

1 Like

His emails bounce back
 Phone is still active, left him a message, hope he replies.

FWIW, this is called a “wellness check”, not solicitation. :stuck_out_tongue:

I see Sarel is now “Guest Sarel” on the other side? Is that new? Do accounts inactivate automatically?

Edit: When starting my solar research back up I noticed many many dead accounts over there. I asked a few direct questions, but people just never responded. They’re not here either, so I think many people just gave up.

I read it last night, saw that it requires clicking over to that other place
 and then I hoped someone else would show up and answer it
 :slight_smile:

Edit: And BOY
 did you guys answer it! Man, I am proud of you lot!

:slight_smile:

Some of them are actually here :slight_smile: That is why there are some dead accounts.

I mean, the forum is just a marketing platform for the store which is biased towards the products which they sell. According to them SunSynk and Hubble is the solution to world hunger / peace / religious conflict /marital issues etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for checking Jaco.

Got hold of him, he sould be around soon.

Aaah it’s a little bit beter than that. The Multi also counts amp-hours into and out-of the battery, and if you also have a GX-device in the system it communicates the “extra current” from the solar chargers to the Multi, so that the Multi can make an SOC determination.

But the SOC measurement of the Multi isn’t that accurate for two reasons. The first is that it has no DC current measurement. It estimates the DC current from the AC values (as does many other inverters). The second reason is that this extra current from the solar chargers is only communicated every few seconds. If you’ve done any sort of “applied mathematics” somewhere along your training or experience, you will recognise this method of counting amp-hours as a kind of newtonian integration
 and when you have widely spaced samples, the errors add up

In other words, you will experience more SOC drift when using the Multi to track SOC than you will with something more accurate, like a BMV, or the BMS of the battery itself (if supported). For batteries that are cycled daily (charged full every day) it is usually not too much of a problem. It re-syncs to 100% daily. For batteries that are left at partial charge for longer periods, the difference can be significant.

Haha! I was debating clinking the link as well, because last time I ventured there, it turned out I was banned for recommending a certain installer who shall remain nameless. But then it turned out that I was more interested in knowing what can happen to a system being struck by lightning than finding out if I am banned again.

What I do miss though is Coulomb and Yoda (I think those were the names). I seem to recall they were quite the Axpert experts which is something all forums can use. (Due to the inevitable issues arising
 :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Youda / Ondƙej (AndrĂ©) Bajer was still active two months ago, but only to say goodbye :cry:

Czech it out: Youdova ostrovní laboratoƙ - Stránka 86 - Fórum MyPower.CZ

Re: Youd’s Island Lab - Farewell
Contributionby youda »Mon Oct 08, 2021 10:14 pm

Dear Mypower Oldchildren,

as you may have noticed, I have rapidly reduced the number of my posts on this forum in the last year or so. There are several reasons for this, and one of them is that I no longer have the energy to answer repetitive questions. Whether those in public threads, or those that arrived directly at me, by email or phone.

Of course, I understand that destroying (let alone my) duty is not to advise, assist, or explain the basic physical principles. Unfortunately, my altruistic nature forced me to devote too much time to the above. The promotion of innovations that would help to bring new photovoltaic enthusiasts more quickly to the right information on the forum has also failed, and I therefore consider my further work here unnecessary.

I met a lot of interesting people here. Great technicians, enthusiasts, practitioners and graduates. Of course, I also came across psychopaths, pimps and little people, whose approach I was sometimes sad about. Anyway, I thank them for enriching me with new life experiences and perspectives.

Reducing energy costs is beginning to appeal to a growing circle of people, including completely naive laymen. So I agreed with the request of my longtime friend Tesláček and we made several videos together about the principles and pitfalls of photovoltaics. That is, mainly about those pitfalls and principles that are usually kept silent rather than talked about. For you mypowerák natives, these amateur videos have no value, because you already know everything contained well. However, you can direct colleagues from work, friends or acquaintances who want to learn more about the possibilities of domestic PV plants, and it would be good to kick them in the right direction before weeding this or other discussion forums.

You can find them on the Youtube playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJpNgLIJ1aMxvf8UMm3fpu6sdfvOj0rqu

Edit: First time I saw the vids, pretty cool :slight_smile:

Also: https://www.teslacek.tv/. Yes it’s Czech, but Google Translate extension works well.

Maybe one of the old hands can ping him via that or Youtube comments?

1 Like

And that was where a huge conflict of interest arose for me. I’m paid by entity A, but I spend a lot of energy providing help on a site run by entity B, who sells competing brand C. Now make no mistake, what is happening is I’m indirectly providing support for brand C. When entity B then starts pushing C over A
 then I have to be out. Not for emotional reasons
 just common sense.

When you treat my friends like cr*p, that just adds to the load.

I think the funniest part has to be the thousands that were poured into that forum. I’ve said that before, but if you have the know-how (and you share!), you can run this sort of forum for a handful of USD a month, on open software that is well supported too (Discourse). Then you don’t have to turn it into a profit-generating machine, you can just have fun. Which is the point, init?

5 Likes

@Gman guess who I ran into, @Sarel.Wagner welcome, thanks for joining us.

1 Like

The irony is of course not lost either. It is really like the abusive boyfriend who tells his girlfriend to stop talking about that other guy, otherwise he’s going to kick her out
 so he kicks her out and now she not only talks ABOUT the other guy
 she lives there.

3 Likes

Thanks

Lol I get the exact same feeling and they are incredibly defensive about it.

I myself am no expert in the field of solar, but heck i can see that there is fundamentally something wrong with the system, and i am now past irritated, really at the point where i don’t want the rubbish any more. The system just shut down again tonight leaving me in the dark, what was the point of spending a crap load of money, to sit in the dark, peak of a poor investment.

But back to answering your questions:

1. battery voltages will vary, like tonight, gave battery low alarm, and bat was around 40/41volt, then later gave a battery low alarm with bat voltage around 50.4volt.
  2. Need to check this one, not 100% sure.
  3. The energy discharge also seem to vary, like last night only got battery low after battery drained 70%, whereas tonight, battery completely switched off after 60% discharge.

I am really just at the point now where i don’t feel like struggling with the system any more. Having solar is no pleasure, really feeling like a poor investment made, and would have been better off having saved the money.

1 Like

I will double check, but almost sure it does show 100% soc around that voltage. unfortunately don’t have the ability to fiddle with the battery voltage adjustments.

Cool, currently i don’t know what this battery can deliver. You are able to drain it down to 29.5% like last night, and only then get a battery low, then this evening at 40% the whole damn battery shuts down on a so called low battery alarm. I am really irritated with this system not getting the right info on battery voltage, and have been banging my head against a wall.