Sunsynk 8kw Firmware failure

Anyone have issues with a firmware update.

Normal light is off.
After update SS only runs off the grid.
Doesn’t use solar or batteries.

Logged ticket, says waiting for engineer.

I assume you did restart the unit all together, total power Cycle?

Yes I did a full Power down and a factory reset

Ever since the upgrade and now the downgrade getting this error :

F34 AC_Overload_Fault

SS support said it needs to be sent in for repair.

Here’s an update on the bricked SS:

It appears that it was fixed and shipped, but to a different customer, not to me. The company provided me with the details of the person who received my inverter and even sent me pictures of it. Additionally, the mounting brackets are severely bent.

Did it take 4 months to repair?

And for a fault caused by the manufacturer!

I still don’t quite follow though, what is the reason to update the firmware, unless you are getting new features?
Though I don’t follow SunSynk much.

You are absolutely correct. Why update firmware if there are no problems? I ran a Sunsynk 5kW for a year with no updates and absolutely no problems.

I decided to upgrade to the 8kW version and went with Deye. As the little bugger Murphy would have it, the day my 8kw arrived we had a severe thunderstorm and though I switched off the PV supply, a close lightning strike blew my inverter monitoring Intel NUC, and everything that was connected to it. Ie. laptop, esp32, power supply and the comms board in the 5kW Sunsynk. I contacted the Sunsynk repair centre and explained that the inverter was fine, except for the comms board which i could replace myself. I asked them to send me a replacement board with the onus on me for the repair.
Lo and behold, they sent me the replacement board which I duly replaced and all was fine.
Thumbs up to them for this, as it saved weeks in turnaround time if I had to send the inverter in.
PS I now have a SPD device on my cat5 cable.

Edit: The damage was to the 5kW Sunsynk inverter

I’m going to take the opportunity to quote myself:

1 Dec - 6 Mar

Wow, that is shocking. I thought Sunsynk was focusing on support and their public image after the CEO made the statement that they are replacing every unit that is in for repair longer than 2 weeks. I guess that was only marketing.

It really seems like such a easy win - just make sure after sales support is top notch. I guess their sales volumes are still high enough that they just don’t care, but that could change very quickly.

I usually won’t think much of AlphaESS, but I recently learned of people getting their inverters replaced in 1 day. I don’t think anybody else comes close in that regard (but based on the issues I’m still hesitant to recommend them).

It is for this very reason that I went with Deye…Friendly installer reckons the turnaround time is much better.

How did you get them to do this? Did you have to pay for it separately?

I suspect that my comms board is also faulty as the dongle keeps losing connection. I have home assistant so don’t bother about the Sunsynk dongle but have previously tried logging tickets with no luck.

I was told to send it in and I thought, hell no. I can live with the issue.

After I logged the ticket and was told to send the inverter in, I explained that I did not think it necessary as the unit was fully functional except for the comms.

They asked for a photo of the board which I sent. The photo clearly shows a blown chip.
(which I am trying to upload here, but keeps on giving error)
The normal T&C,s followed before they sent the new board, and I had to send them my old board. I did not have to pay for the new board…

That is more likely a WiFi signal strength/interference issue.

I have two inverters in parallel. Have a UniFi access point in the garage so it’s not an issue with signal strength. Have tried swapping dongles, moving the AP, adding extenders, nothing worked.

It’s just the 1 inverter that’s faulty.