Suggestion on aircon

hi all, sorry to resurrect this.

Anybody know what an F0 error on a Samsung means?

I turned it on since it is so bloody cold, figured I’d use some spare PV capacity to heat up the house a bit. It starts the outdoor unit (and I see it uses > 1000W), then a couple of minutes later it starts the indoor unit. But the air it blows out is fairly cool - basically ambient temperature.

Then after running a couple of minutes it will stop (first indoor, then outdoor, then consumption falls to 0W). It will sit with the lights on for a while, then start again, repeat the whole process and shuts down again.

Eventually it gives this error.

A quick Googling shows that many aircons throw this error when it is low on refrigerant (and usually indicates a leak), but can’t find it specifically for the Samsung.

Given your explanation, low/no refrigerant seems likely. The manual is super helpful:

It should be easy to confirm by hooking up some gauges.

Stupid question, but where’d you get the manual?

Click on manuals and downloads.

1 Like

Thought I might as well continue on this old topic.

What over / under voltage protection devices are you guys using on your aircons, I understand this is especially important on inverter aircons with our load shedding situation?

From what I understand 12000 BTU and smaller aircons must be plugged in to a wall socket, where larger aircons must be connected directly to the DB. For some reason it was done the exact opposite way in my house, so I’ll have to change this.

Anyone have experience with Jet-Air J Smart inverter aircons? Looking at getting a 12000 BTU for my bedroom now, then sometime in future a 24000 BTU for my open plan lounge / kitchen area.

I know a few people running the Jet-Air units and all of them are very happy, also say they don’t really notice it on the electricity bill. The local recommended installer in our area also said he installed quite a few of them in the past.

The price seams good, plus onboard wifi, no extra wifi interfaces needed.

Tripconnect, here: https://www.takealot.com/clearline-single-phase-over-under-voltage-protection/PLID92857705

Protect the main DB and everything that hangs off it.

if I knew 5 years ago that I would be embarking on a solar journey, I would’ve gone for the inverter types.

But I have a 9000 and 12000 BTU directly at the plugs. Installer confirmed what you said in that higher must go to db.

That said, I am super impressed with my my 2 Jet Airs. They are super quiet, both the indoor and outdoor unit and they haven’t missed a beat.

Also, on these small units I really doubt whether an inverter type would’ve been significantly lighter on electricity as opposed to the constant speed versions. There was a R3k price difference between them at the time.

But one thing these days that is not negotiable, whatever appliance you buy, get a wifi capable one.

1 Like

The price between inverter and constant speed is now around R1000 to R1500 and yes, wifi is a must for me.

That would’ve swung me toward inverter aircons at the time. Other good names I’ve heard are Daiken and Carrier. Wont go wrong with them but I believe they are a tad more expensive.

I would love a Daikin, but for the same size plus extra Daikin wifi module plus installation, the Daikin will be around R6k more expensive than the Jet-Air at this stage.

I’ll still see, I’ll probably hold off till this heat wave is properly over, probably till next year and try to get my old aircon going again so I at least survive to be able to tell the story.

Probably the wrong time to buy an aircon in Cape Town ( week of 34-35 degree temps ), but seriously considering Jet-Air, any opinions

Samsung Inverter gets my vote.

Only R6000 more for a Daiken over a JetAir? That’s a bargain.

I also gave up on the heat. Have an older model aircon, heavy on juice.

So I thought, bugger this, get more solar panels grid-tied and use that as the power source for the aircon, the additional spare in winter to help the geysers.

My point: Go old tech for cheap and rather spend the bucks on more panels to power the house over the year … than bug bucks spent on a new aircon for use a couple of weeks per year, the pennies that dropped recently for me.

My problem is, that I bought a retirement, lock up and go apartment in a complex, a few years back ( pre-solar days ), and it has an asbestos roof, so can’t install panels ( at least have battery back up :wink:
So need an energy efficient aircon