Suggestion on aircon

Hi guys,

Looking at installing aircon on our small 3kva system (max hybrid size) as we have considerable spare solar on a sunny day, will need at least 24000BTU inverter type (area 40 - 44m^2 excl. furniture/kitchen cupboards etc.no real direct sun)

Still getting quotes, any suggestions for 1) Brand/model 2) COP heating/cooling 3) IoT wifi AC or just get a broadlink for HA control 4) Extended warranty??? 5) Anything else

Currently I have quotes for a
York non Wi-Fi R20k, 2kW (Min 910W Max 3070W)

Jet-Air J-Smat Wi-Fi R21k

When it comes to AC’s buy Japanese.
In retrospect, I should have gone with the in-ceiling ducted. So much better than a big wall wart, quieter too.
All the fancy features, of monitoring room activity, body temp whatever, you will never use. HA will just go 24C heat and you forget about it.
Daiken is worth the extra money.

York is not a bad brand. Although it is American (part of Johnson Controls) :slight_smile:

Chat to Jaco, as he installed a small 12000 BTU split unit for me, also allowing me to use “excess solar” once my batteries were charged up in the morning.

A lot depends on the support in your area, some people think Samsung for example is Amazing where someone in another area / city think Samsung is the biggest piece of junk, but that’s because of quality of installation in the first place, then willingness of installer to fix / source parts etc. So also try to get recommendations on installer and brand from people in your direct area.

Some also say to rather get 2 smaller ones in a bigger area then you can only switch 1 on if needed, so 2x 12000 BTU in your case.

In terms of electricity consumption it also helps to run the thing at 24, 25 degrees threw the whole day just to keep the room comfortable, rather than trying to slam it down to 12 degrees for example

1 Like

My experience and “do it differently” advice.

1. Inverter Aircon
  2. Good brand (Samsung)
  3. Dual Split for multiple rooms if you can afford!
  4. Go bigger than you think you need.

My 2c

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, the York model doesn’t look bad.

I see the suppler says for warranty to hold you need to bi-yearly have an inspection/cleaning is this usual?

My Samsung dealer wanted R350 for the inspection/cleaning, all the did was, washing out the filter and vacuuming the accumulated dust, less than an hour and he was a little over R1000 richer ( 3 aircons )
Would like to know if it is a manufacturer condition

A service involves checking gas pressures, topping up if required, and washing the filter. I know that aircons need to be inspected at least annually. Though I will also admit that I don’t do it. I wash the filter myself, and that is that. In the last almost two decades, I’ve never had an AC that needed to be topped up.

The only ACs that needed that kind of attention was 1) my 1986 VW Jetta, and 2) my Wife’s Toyota Tazz, which had an after-market installed AC, where they left out one of the sealing rings. After having these serviced properly, it was also never required again.

So far, that is also all that we had to do. Not cleaning it makes performance tank. After clearing, purrs like brand new!