Some Nettop NT-535 mini pc's available

Hi Mark,

Yes, they are little Giada i39B units, with 2GB ram and 32GB SSD’s, running Windows Embedded.

Giada i39B

Can definately do Postnet to Postnet for you, as Postnet offers their counter to counter for R100.00. Takes a few days, but always dependable.

Indeed, the Giada does look a little nicer … :slight_smile:

My Nettop is showing some heat issues. After it’s been running for a while, if you shut it down, it won’t turn back on until it has cooled down somewhat. If you do a hot reboot, the RAM countdown is also slowed down. I checked and the heatsink compound is completely dry, so I’m going to fix that before doing anything else. Just so the other guys know to look out for as well… still perfectly happy with the price, even just for the SSD inside :slight_smile:

Hi Plonkster,

Please let me know if the new heatsink compound fixes your heat issue. If not, I will send you a checked Giada unit, at no charge :+1:

As I’m not that clued… Embedded vs Windows 7 (I see its no upgradable).
Are there updates available for Embedded.

I’m keen to take 2x Giada if they are available after Jaco has chosen…

Embedded is an scaled down, only load what is necessary version, expesially designed for such small form factor devices.
Embedded

If you do not need the serial port and the 32GB SSD, then I may recommend the little Asus EB1035, which has 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD and Win 7 Home Premium.

Asus EB1035

Thanks for the heads up. Will check mine. I want to upgrade the ram on mine. Got bought of them but Giada is a nice one. I see the 3.5mm fiber jack can run 192 kbps. Will see what my DAC can do with it.

The little Giada’s also like Linux, as I played around with an older Mint version on them, which really flies on that SSD.

Thanks (I need the serial and SSD) - If the Nettops with the 32gb SSD are still available I’ll take 2x (can be upgraded to 10 if needed).

No problem, I can keep two out for you and I will also check them for possible dry thermal paste.

If dry, will replace and let the group know, so they can also check theirs.

Edit : Just spoke to Paul and he did have heat issues on his Nettops, and one non working fan, which he replaced himself (thanks Paul) I’ll open up the remainder and re-apply new heat transfer paste to all.

Checked two Nettop units for Mark last night and both had old, hardened thermal paste.

Unit 1 before

Scraped off the old thickened paste and re-applied new thermal paste.

Unit 2 after

Both units then ran their fan less, even under high continuous loads.

It was difficult to get accurate temperature readings, due to the shiny metal on the fan cover, so I covered a portion with a white sticker. I also know that taking readings with an open case is not ideal, as it disturbs the internal airflow, but should be good enough for just checking thermal issues.

1 Like

Thanks alot Deon. Above and beyond service!!

Reminds me of the one day long long ago I had an old i3 processor with fan off, the paste also having hardened.

So I thought, experiment time, what will happen if I switch it on?

Near-instant smoke accompanied by a fizzing sound. :rofl:

I was impressed.

I replaced the heatsink compound and that resolved the issue. Even running it with the fan disconnected seems okay, although it does push up to 85°C when you do that.

It shows one thing clearly though. The processor has very good thermal throttling. I believe TTT’s failed experiment, which was also one of the things that you couldn’t do with early AMD Athlons (but could with the Pentium of the same age), is because if you have absolutely nothing on it, the chip heats up faster than the temperature sensor can pick it up, so it has no time to throttle back.

That reminds me of the heat issues with the Cyrix 6x86 I had many many moons ago.
It was too powerful for the heatsinks for the day at 25W! :slight_smile:

I had one of those too! It was supposedly a 166Mhz CPU, but the real clock speed was 133. My girlfriend (now my wife) had the P200, which had a clock speed of 150Mhz. They were nice and fast on the integer side, but the floating point sucked.

1 Like

Anything still available here or all sold?

I do have a few Nettops and some Giada i39B’s still available.
So far everyone seems to like the Giada’s, due to the extra serial port and the full metal enclosure. Nettops though are all registered Win 7 Home Premium.

All without their 19v power bricks and wi-fi antennas, at R300 each.

Also have a few older model Asus EB1035’s, but they have 320GB HDD’s.

I’d like to take 3 giadas (if you have), and will need postnet to postnet or aramex store to door or whatever shipping works best for you.

Just some hints for the guys who want to run the Giada headless. It won’t boot unless it has a screen attached, but if you tell it to use legacy video it will. Hit F12 while booting, then tell it you want to go to Setup, then here:

bios-step-1

bios-step-2

1 Like

Final update : I have two Nettops remaining, after selling around 14 on the group.

These final two do not have Windows OS loaded, as their Windows installation was corrupted, so I wiped them and loaded Linux, just to test the hardware.

Price still R300.00 each.