Quattro Grid Codes

Yeah I understand. Behind the scenes, there is a small utility on the GX device that does the actual update. These utilities are called vup (for older canbus devices), dup (for vedirect devices), xup (for newer vedirect and canbus devices), and vbdup (for vebus devices). These tools all have the capability to preserve the configuration, with the exception of vbdup.

It is also not as easy as just adding it. For the Multi things are a bit more complex and to do it properly will require a lot more work. If you know what you’re doing, you can of course do the update yourself (from the command line) and then just reload the config (which can also be done from the command line, or via VRM). But it is definitely not ready for prime time.

One particular issue is that if the firmware update is interrupted, the Multi will be soft-bricked. It will be in “bootloader mode”. You can easily flash a Multi with an mk3 when it is in bootloader mode, but you cannot flash it with vbdup. In other words, you always run the risk of softbricking it, and then having to call someone with an mk3. Of course such an occurence should be rare… as is the case with PC BIOS updates… but occasionally it does happen to someone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here hold my beer … for sure as damn it will happen when I try that! :laughing:

Geez, I had issues even with VConnect, thrice, had to restart in all cases … Victron developers saw THAT coming and made it easy to restart the process.

I prefer VEConfig … the MK3 cable is used 23:55/7/365 of the time, now, on a Rpi Venus and MP800VA … grid-tied to a wall outlet, feeding spare battery capacity back, the big MPII throttle at the Carlo, and with no solar, I Schedule the Charging daytime via the main system …

Going to do the same with the 12v MP 500VA, just need another MK3 and Pi to set that one up.

Is this a NEED/ A WANT? A HOBBY … yes it is!

Running the 2 small ones also on the “Other” option, to get access to ESS on them both.

@SolarSmurf I know you have multiple battery banks. One of the todo items for the VenusOS serial battery driver is to handle multiple banks in the future. You might want to go follow that ticket on github to get notifications when there are progress on that one.

@Louisvdw Thanks for the tip - as it turns out I have moved on from running multiple banks and have re-organized my batts into a single bank. Bought a 250A Daly Smart BMS on AliExpress. Now have a single 16s4p battery - happy camper

Hope to try out your serial driver soon…

1 Like