Pylontech US3000 vs Us3000C Can Cables

Just as info…

I did my first Installation with US3000C’s last week, crimped my cable as normal, Plugged it in and saw the pylons on the Gx immediately. Then a client phoned and told me he cant see his pylons, he used a “A” cable and I told him, to use a “B” cable, as I know it works. He was very adamant that the documents said that he has to use an A-Cable. The next day I stopped at his place to see what was going on, and found that both the Victron, as well as the Pylon documentation asked for a A-cable. I was very confused, why on earth did a "B"cable work for me? but left it there as I drove about 600km that day and was to tired to try and figure it out.

Today I added a 3000c to a old installation with normal US3000’s. I knew the “C” had to be the master, so I placed him in position and mover the old “B” cable to the new battery and it showed up in the GX.

Driving home after that, this whole thing bugged me a lot and at a robot in JHB, the pin dropped, I started laughing so hard at my stupidity that my helper wanted to leave the vehicle quite quickly, must have thought I finally lost it completely…

I though about the PIn layout of both “A” and “B” Victron cables, and all the Pins are the same, except the Ground wire that changes from Pin 2 to Pin 6 on the battery Side.

So you can use both, the coms still works, just the earth isnt connected. (Not recommended) but it works.

Can

3 Likes

I still think it best to use a type-A. The type-B works because CAN-L and CAN-H is still connected to the right pins, but now the earth is connected to pin 2 instead of pin 6.

On a CCGX or a Venus-GX, this probably makes no difference, since these have isolated CAN-bus ports.

On the others it possibly also doesn’t matter, but the Pylontech documentation does have this ominous warning in it…

Selection_782

So it is probably not necessay to go and redo every single type-B out there, but at the same time, I would start making type-A cables for any new -C batteries :slight_smile:

Also interesting. You said on the phone the DIP switches are reversed? Again, seems you spotted that right… :slight_smile:

Selection_783

1 Like

That is just asking for lots of support requests :smiley:

1 Like