NERSA licensing threshold for embedded generation projects 1 MW to 100 MW (and CV joints)

There is a comprehensive list at the end of this recent article

1 Like

Lol. I managed to trip one of the 100MW CSP plants on that list. It was quite interesting to see a bunch of people running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to figure out what had happened.

I would guess it was not because you were boiling the kettle at the wrong timeā€¦
Must be an instresting story to tell :smiley:

1 Like

Dropped a spanner in the switch yard did you? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Unfortunately not quite that exciting.
I was helping to do fault finding for an earth fault on the 110Vdc supply to the HV protection equipment.
Everything is double redundant, with 2 x 110Vdc battery banks and 2 x 110Vdc chargers and then 2 DBs that feed the HV protection equipment that have a bus coupler to link the 2 x 110Vdc busses. So in theory if you have the bus coupler closed you can disconnect one of the 110Vdc supplies at a time and everything is ok. Unfortunately they had a labelling error, so when I isolated both ends of what should have been one of the 110Vdc supplies I actually isolated both 110Vdc supplies, dropping the supply to all the HV protection equipment and boom, whole plant is down.

4 Likes

Hehe :smiley: Still sounds exciting. It least you found the label fault for them

Iā€™m guessing a few lights turned red and some sirens went offā€¦ not small stuff that plantā€¦!

Interesting! I wonder who Hanno Labuschagne is?
It looks like the big demand on the grid is domestic in the evenings. Last week we were scheduled for LS during the day and it didnā€™t happen. But late afternoon and evenings they never missed a schedule to switch us off.

Where I was, all the lights turned off and it went quiet actually. Not sure what went on in the control room, but Eskom phoned to ask why they had lost comms.

Checking the list doesnā€™t really give you a feel for what contribution these power plants produce. If they are feeding the Eskom grid they might be permanently connected and only get shut down when there is an unlikely oversupply of power.
I would love to be a fly on the wall of the Eskom national control room (on a bad day) and see the actionā€¦

1 Like

Gweezy implementing a diversion tactic while he makes exceptions for the Turkish powerships.

2 Likes

Donā€™t tell me the powerships are still on the horizon??
Didnā€™t they fall by the wayside along with the Russian nuclear deal?

The chances of the power ship deal going through is pretty much zero. @calypso is just throwing fuel on the fire.

Whew! :sweat:

It fell through the moment the World Bank decided not to approve Eskomā€™s application for a loan earlier this year. Eskom ordered the ships assuming the loan will be approved before the ships reached our shores, it never happened and the ships were lying just outside our waters for quite some time waiting for a somethings to changeā€¦ if they still there, I cant say, stopped following this a wile back.

5 Likes

The Media didnā€™t really report on that at all. As usual they jumped all over the initial report, but didnā€™t really cover the boring aftermath when it never happened. I only knew about it because you told me about it, which you heard from someone who knew someone, as it goesā€¦

In this case, I heard it directly from a representative of the World Bank that was on the committee that made the final decisions.

This event made her decide to get a solar system in place before the proverbial Pawpaw hits the fan.

With what we all know, do you think the media will report on matters like these. Only good news gets reported, like the ships thatā€™s coming to save usā€¦

2 Likes

This would have been insider trading if it was a company on the stock market :smiley:

1 Like

The mediaā€™s business is negative news; so itā€™s not surprising. For this very reason I try stay out of the news as much as I can and just skim what might be important to know (Nothing at the moment)