MPII 3kva issues when on generator

Bluenova has a BP - “backup power” series. I can’t really figure out what the difference is between it and the DU - “daily use” is. It is quite a bit cheaper, though.

1 Like

apparently cells of different grades/cycle expectation that explains the difference in warranty with BP having the lower expected cycle life

see from about 35sec in

2 Likes

so… Price comparisons between:

Pylontech US3000
Pylontech US5000
Freedom Won Lite Home 5/4
Freedom Won e5000 (looking for rack mount)
BlueNova 52v-100-5.2k BP

Thanks. What I do find a bit strange is that the datasheet claims >6000 cycles for the BP (vs >8000 for DU), and in the video he mentions 1500cycles for the BP warranty…

I believe being in front of the camera is not his natural habitat and he probably misspoke - not helped by the warranty/spec sheet going through a number of iterations and bluenova especially being somewhat more creative with different C-rates quoted

for the BP

The warranty doc (from here) though refers to 6 years/4000 cycles for the BP (or no more than 3.3% capacity loss per annum if cycled once per day to no more than 80% DOD at >C/10 discharge and recharge >C/2) and 10 years/6000 cycles (or no more than 2% per annum capacity loss with similar C-rate) for the DU.

Btw, a hint at the differing cells between the DU and BP can be seen in the quoted internal resistance for the batteries with the BP being a fair bit higher than the DU.

Ah i see.
So my next question is why would you want to run your generator when your battery is full? Use the battery, or am i missing something. I only run generator because my battery is going flat and i don’t have sun so I guess that’s why I have never had the overvoltage problem.

I don’t have an option. The building has a generator, for all the tenants. We are just one of three tenants. The other tenants are not on a UPS: coffee shop, and a serverless business (laptops etc). We have to keep our servers/intenet/gateways/development PCs running.

1 Like

New being newer US3000C’s if you’re mentioning firmware or are you referring to new being the Pelio or something else?

I’m getting a Multi + batteries for a UPS and solar a couple of months later, so just want to know if it’s new C’s, and should then be OK, or if I should then wait for a couple of months.

As far as I know, newer US-series stopped doing this. But as always, verify for yourself. I don’t own pylon batteries and the ones I support are always in self-consumption rigs.

That seems to be for the DU?

is from the BP spec sheet (doc properties show created 5 May 2022).

Edit BP vs DU:

Thanks, it seems that the datasheet I linked is outdated then.
TBH, the BP seems fine for daily use in my opinion, especially if you use it at 0.5C. I’m curios about the BMS, I know in their LiFeYPO4 batteries they use a RaspberryPi with their own software…

speculating but going by the victron battery compatibility page that lists the BP and DU models with links to recent manuals the only 2 bms’s that seem to be referred to for Bluenova are the 123SmartBMS and BMMC (which should be the Pi Zero related board). So the RacPower BMS’s are likely Pi related.

The manuals for both the BP and DU refer to a “V1” and “V2” battery btw, which could also explain different spec sheets.

agree