Moving from Openhab to Hassio

My system is now about 4 years old and from the beginning I was running Openhab , mainly because that was what the first EmonPi had installed default and later because it has a free reverse proxy that you can use.
As my system grew maintenance is slowly becoming a problem is I decided to move away from Openhab and setup a pure Node red system. (100 % of all my rules and automation lives there). The ui works ok but is quite basic in comparison. So I decided to give Hassio a go for a bit of “bling” and I must say after I got the hang of yaml it is quite good. All my stuff is MQTT so I dont need to all the plugins but even the MQTT auto detect works like a charm once you under stand the template.
I have even set up some of my custom Arduino’s to be detected in Hassio.
There is still some work that I need to do but this is what I have sofar.

I have quite old cameras so I am waiting for the New ptz cameras that will have much better image quality.

I have also found a service called Zerotier One that you can use to link your home via vpn with out the need for port forward. It is running on a little Pi zero and so far so good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome Paul (To The Hassio Side of Things), I am glad you tried Hassio, I dont think you will regret your decision.

That’s a lot of integration, well done! Getting the UI customised will be another rabbit hole you won’t come back from :smiley:

1 Like

I started using Tileboard a while ago, because I needed something that just loads without requiring a login first (although it uses a long-lived token, which has security implications of its own). In the hair salon next door I have an Rpi hooked into this showing the customers some interesting stats (aka advertising) as well as the weather and a snapshot of the security camera so that they know their vehicles are fine.

1 Like

I also have Tileboard running on an old tablet that is not able to run Lovelace. Nice for a “simple” interface.

I’ve bought some cheap Teclast tablets on Banggood a while ago that I plonked on the walls in the house. They Android 9 so still enough to display lovelace on. I then set the panels to only display in a sort of kiosk mode (much easier to do with the latest versions of HA out of the box)

You don’t see the navigation icons and status on the tablet, they only showed up when I tried to do a screenshot.

Nowadays , tablets are quite cheap. A very nice app to use on Android is Wallpanel and the html page for Hass.
Auto start on startup full screen and then there quite a couple of “nice” features.
TTS via mqtt - I use this to announce when the main gate opens and closes or alarm zones been triggered.
You can even get access to the front facing camera via http - best of all its for free :slight_smile:

Sweet setup Paul!

Couple of things that I’ve noticed which I think is really smart:

• I like how you’ve put the Victron VRM on a page, never thought of doing it. iFrame?
  • How do you get all of the Microtik information pulled through?

What do you use for motion sensors and for lights, btw?

I used a “Webpage Card Configuration” and the tab set to Panel mode (This renders the first card at full width) If if you are in a phone you should get full screen.

It is a Mikrotik integration via HACS fun to look at but as I already control the router via node red it is more bling than anything else.

To switch on the lights at night (and off when nobody is in the room) and the alarm system if activated.
As we are on a farm I have a fair amount of out buildings so I also monitor the door status and get notified if we have left one of the doors open. after 18h00.

The house will also be set to “Away mode” if none of the Pir sensors gets triggered for 4 hours , this will switch the house lights randomly on and off between 17hoo and 21hoo to simulate presence. Most of the time I don’t forget to activate it but if I do it comes on by it self.

3 Likes

Thanks Paul, I actually meant what do you use to control lights – Sonoffs? Shelly’s? Smart Bulbs?
And to sense motion – sounds like an alarm integration?

Hahahaha apologies :slight_smile:

My main system runs of a Arduino Atmega that has 24 Relays and 32 inputs for light switches , pir sensors extr. The coms is via MQTT and it has a Link function whereby you can link an input to a relay as a fail safe should the controlling server fall over or the network goes down. (My own code)

Then I have a couple of SonOffs - running Tasmota for remote places where it was hard to rewire the system , like the borehole pump and some of the outside lights.
I also have a couple of Wemos D1’s for temperature sensors and and one that connects to my Roboguard HQ running Tasmota. Whenever I use an Esp chip I first check I it can not be done with Tasomota , this makes things quite be bit quicker to deploy and maintain also every thing runs via MQTT. All in all I have about 30 iot devices floating about - it is quite difficult to stop once you have started. :slight_smile:

Impressive stuff! The Arduino with 24 relays is probably the most hardcore part - I can’t say I’ve met somebody whose gone this route to centrally control everything before :clap:.

I take it you had to do some serious wiring to bring all those lights back to Arduino?

Agreed on Tasmota. I even ended up changing my Shelly’s and some of my ESPHome devices over to Tasmota - Tasmota’s Wifi recovery is just a teeny tiny bit more robust.

Jip was a fun exercise but had to redo the wiring any was it was a mess to start of with

That and more importantly it is fully in your control and not at some Chinese server some where.

I will post some info of the system on a new post ( I did it on a other forum so Ill sommer copy pate from there :slight_smile:)