Monitoring your geyser temperature

You are correct, in my case its merely for informational purposes. My electric geyser runs in series with a gas geyser which wont ignite if the incoming water temp is high enough.

I still have my thermostat in place.

@_a_a_a What is your reservation with drilling into the cover? Do you think it will compromise the structure or safety of the geyser?

Warranty, and personally, it is a pressured cylinder that contains very hot water at times, hence I would not want to make more holes.

1 Like

I’ve drilled and got the probe in. Working very well. The temp does read maybe 5 - 10 deg lower but fine tuning and monitoring is leading to excellent energy savings with my Sonoff controller. Thanks @Langou

Great to hear getting good results! Did you manage to get it in deep right next to the inner shell? What makes you think reading 5-10degC lower?

Old post sorry, however would you be able to use a LM35 apposed to LM335?

I would hope you could just add the kelvin offset however… I don’t know. Anless you can cheaply get the lm335 locally?

I have no idea… don’t know the chips well enough.

When connecting to a sensor is there a standard signal that makes life easy?? (way back in the good old days we had 0-10V, 0-5V, 4-20mA etc.)

Hi All

I have a TH16 origin with a DS18B20 temp probe. Probe is reading my temps accurately(Geyserwise unit also on the geysers) and they are close as dammit. I have issues in that the probes stop reporting randomly. In the EWeLink app it states ‘- -‘ and in HA it states unavailable.

I have used the Sonoff extensions and these were unreliable so I made my own extensions that are more reliable, however there are times that the temperatures are unavailable. Anyone have a solution to this?

Have you considered flashing Tasmota? Truly some of the most reliable firmware I’ve seen. I’ve even flashed Shelly’s over to Tasmota because they’re more reliable in climbing back onto Wifi after a couple of loadshedding sessions.

1 Like

Just to confirm, I also have TH16 and DS18B20 pushed inside of the geyser instead of the thermostat. With Sonoff I have had issues (disconnecting, unavailable temperature readings, extremely slow temp. refresh) but after flashing tasmota fw it has been rock solid…Running for almost 2 years now without any hiccups.

Hi, sorry for referring to an old post. New to this platform and really created a profile to be able to send this message. So I have a solar system installed (SunSynk) - only 2.75kw of peak solar generation for the house. However, there are also panels that are specifically dedicated to my geyser - not so sure about their capacity, they were installed prior to me buying the house. Now, what I need is a way to monitor my geyser temperature and have that fed into my Home Assistant set up, main reason being, I want to know when is it absolutely necessary for me to use the power from my house to heat up the water then I can have an automation that switches on my smart geyser switch, else depend on the solar generation from the panels dedicated to the geyser.

Now the only problem is I’m not so knowledgeable and comfortable when it comes to electrical stuff, mainly connecting the TH16 sensor and the POWR2. Now I see you saying that you’ve assisted clients with installing such a setup. I wanted to know if there is any way I can privately communicate with you. I wanted you to then assist me with this. I am around Centurion.

Thanks

How are these connected to the geyser??

Hi Skhu, I can assist with advice and your local friendly electrician can implement. Let’s take offline. I’ll private message you.

1 Like

If you are able to diy a little, get an esp32 with 1 or 2 ds18b20 sensors and a resistor and use esphome in homeassistant and you can easily implement. I recently did this for a verticals mount geyser and can view the temp at the top and bottom of geyser easily.

Many YouTube videos cover this. If you want to also add power control, this can also be done via an external relay / contactor.

Not 100% sure, i believe there are probably two elements in the geyser, because how the system works is if the temperature is below 50 degrees it uses the panels and the grid to heat up the water, then when it’s above 50 degrees it just uses the panels to maintain the temperature and take it up to 75 degrees. I say it probably has two elements because even when the grid is off if the sun is hot enough I get hot water.

Post a pic of the controller etc. that controls the solar water heating.
NB: The PV panels won’t be connected directly to the elements!