Jojo pump installation

Goeie more.
I’m in a dilemma…i want to install a jojo tank at my house which it’s a duplex and all out meters are on the outside of my boundary wall which is exactly 130meteres away from my hoouse…now I’ve heard thats it’s best to make a connection directly from the meter and let it fill the jojo and than let water pump back into the existing old line. I’ve had my eye on the DAB easy box mini 3 which has a max head of 35 meteres keep in my mind my house isn’t on a slope . Would the dab pump be sufficient to pump to water 130 meters or should i rather take from my supply which is nearby bit also again I’d be feeding my 5000 liter tank with ¾ pipe…?
Will the pump be able to pump such a far distance or look at something bigger or stick with my supply ?
Ps is there another alternative ?

I have the exact same pump, brilliant units, especially powering it from a inverter.

Looking at the pump curve of the Mini 3 you will see you will easily be able to hit 4 bar (40 meters of head) if your flow rate is low enough (~2m3 / hour which is a lot!) what is the elevation gain from where your Jojo?

Based on a few online pipe calculators, if we say the inside pipe diameter is 25mm (Not sure what it really is?) and with a length of 130M at 2m3 / hour you will lose 7.5m of head or put otherwise 0.7 bar.
So if you would have had 4 bar at 2m3 /h after the pipe losses you will end up with 3.3 bar at the tap which is totally acceptable, not sure maybe some of the other members on here will add some more info.
Just note my calculation assumes the tank and the pump are at the same elevation, if the tank is lower than the pump there will be a further pressure hit, if the tank is higher it will actually give you a little pressure boost (10M of head = 1 bar)

1 Like

Some good reading here by people in the know of both pumps and installations.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/363232-Water-backup-system-installed

1 Like

Even if you have a meter so far away you will have a supply pipe to the house somewhere - probably with a stop cock. You then add a non return value at this point and feed your pump supply inside this point. The 130m from the meter isn’t relevant. I would ask the complex plumber or someone who knows the plumbing to show you how things are laid out.
You can feed from your JoJo and the pump at any point that gives a cold supply close to the tank - so even from the back near a bathroom for example.

2 Likes

AS @PJJ said, the distance isn’t the biggest issue. It is the “head”, how far UP it has to go, that affects the pump.

The thickness of the pipe does affect flow rate, but since you’re already using this pipe to supply the house, presumable there is no issue with flow rate. I recall, vaguely from the most difficult subject I studied at uni (Flow dynamics), that the fluid creates concentric layers, sliding over each other according to the viscosity of the fluid, and sticking against the side of the pipe, creating a flow profile that looks a bit like a bullet, with the fastest water in the middle of the pipe :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are optimization tables, but this is a handy nugget I remember.
There is a fair rule of thumb for domestic pipe sizes (>100mm dia.) to aim at 3m/s in the pipe for the pump’s eventual flow.
Below that, you are wasting pipe girth; above it, you are introducing too much head via friction.

2 Likes

That’s a big pipe. The toilet sewage pipe is 110mm. Did you mean <100mm ?

Im planning on throwing a a small concrete floor with a hight of 15 cm so actually very small . 0.7 bar ! Yes correct at the moment my kpa is around 5 bar which ive been told is very good. Thanks I’ve definitely learnt something new .

I have been thinking about that so basically I’ll make my loop and woth 2 non returns and feed it back into the main line. I do have a ball valve with a prv .Thank you :ok_hand:

Its a single story house and i always thought that max head is important thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Yes, smaller than 100mm.
Well spotted. Above that, the optimum gets less than 3m/s.
@ZAK, read up on the water hammer effect. You don’t want to fall foul of that on switch-on or maintenance, either.

2 Likes