HP Injet printers / HP OfficeJet Pro 9013 All-in-One Printer OR HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 All-in-One Multifunction Colour Inkjet Printer

Wonder if anyone know the HP range…

HP OfficeJet Pro 9013 All-in-One Printer
vs
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 All-in-One Multifunction Colour Inkjet Printer

So looking at the following 2 printers.
Need some advise,
They look VERY similar.
Is the one maybe a new more modern unit/replacement of the other

Looks like I can pick up the 9013 at about R2600-3300 where as the 7740 is R5200 approx.
Ink cost: The 7740 the ink looks quite a bit more than the 9013’s
Both seem to be based on a 4 tank system.

Anyone know these? how do they perform for photo printing? Looks like they perfect for office/colour/presentations.
Both seem to be capable of double sided scanning and printing with ADF units.

G

Is one a business line and the other consumer? Looks like quite a price difference.

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 plus thats probably close to 7 or 8 years and still going strong. Relatively sure it is because it is the Office line and not consumer.

Ink costs an arm and a leg though, so I’ve switched to generic cartridges which honestly works fine. Bit lower print quality but find for general printing (and my wife is a teacher so she prints A LOT).

From what I can see both are more like Home office/small SME.
Ye the price did is what made me ask the question.
The new range… they seem to be adding chips to stop grey cartridges from being used, but some how allow the original cartridges being refilled.

How’s the photo paper/quality?

G

I use the Epson Inktank range. Their ink is dirt cheap (about R120 per color/black) that can print about 2000 pages.
Pretty much the same print quality as the HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 we have at the office.

interweb suggets the 9013 is an A4 printer and the 7740 an A3 printer (i.e. maximum paper size and scan bed are bigger on the 7740).

Interweb also suggests the 96x cartridge series that the 9013 uses is a newer range compared to the 95x cartridges used by the 7740. Both seem to have identical page yields and use identical print technology (even though the 96x appears to come with 5ml more ink when looking at black cartridge for instance). From this you might also conclude that the 9013 is a slightly newer printer than the 7740. 953 and 963 are apparently not interchangeable.

If doing a lot of printing, ink cost based, I suspect you will not easily do better than the inktank type printers as @Louisvdw mentioned.

no idea about print quality on any of the mentioned printers.

As per HP’s site both are A3, although this could explain why the 9013 is like 60% cost of the 7740
And then, your analysis is great, but you running into what I’m seeing, the 9013 looks like it’s suppose to be the better, so we expect the higher price, but it’s like 60% cost of the 7740.

so the price and what we seeing not matching up, going to try and phone HPE this morning and find out, will update thread after.

G

… will add I would prefer / want the A3 capability, so if we just found a type that defines the 9xxx as actually a A4 and the 7740 a A3 based setup then that explains the price discrepancy.

G

… think you’ve found the primary reason, although the 9xxx does seem to be more “house” orientated with more photo printing capabilities vs the 7xxx.

looks like the 9xxx is more consumer based and the 7xxx prosumer.

G

I feel obligated to warn against buying any HP printer due to their anti-consumer practices. I am hesitant to make any recommendations, as everyone seems to be implementing some of the anti-features in some way or another. Epson inktank is alright, but the quality of print is not near the HP, and the printer will stop working once it deems the head cleaning sponge is full, needing a service that is usually more expensive than a new printer. (although there are some tools on github that might be able to reset the counter if you are so inclined). I have seen recommendations for Brother, but I have no experience with them myself.

Example of anti-consumer behavior (there are many other examples if you care to search):

1 Like

Thought to be the other side for once. :slight_smile:

Good for them on this matter as I have had my share of cheaper print cartridges (for a large corporate) that caused more drama than savings.

It went like this.
The cartridge supplier says it is an HP-similar print cartridge, it will give you more prints than HP.
The printer starts having issues, with way less page, count.
The cartridge guy blames the printer and insists on one having to service them. Gets expensive now.
The printer is serviced, but still having problems, replace the printer he says.
HP gets contacted, your bloody printers are … o … no, it is not OEM cartridge.
So you get one, and the printer works fine again.

Since that day, unless the cartridge supplier puts his/her what-not on a block completely, I buy OEM.

And the perfectly fine very affordable printers that have a cartridge cleaning issue or other similar “you are now going to pay” problem on a Sunday night before a huge meeting, Github and all that tried, bugger me, THAT is a real blind move to throw away an otherwise still perfect printer, with nearly full cartridges now useless. Will never buy one of those types of printers ever again. I ask the cartridge refill guy I trust, the one who supplies me with HP cartridges on my “new” 2nd hand HP printer I bought from him, one that he repaired. :slight_smile:

That is fair, but then consider this:
https://www.consumerreports.org/printers/hp-ends-free-ink-for-life-a3792536732/

One thing that really infuriates me is the cartridges will only print the number of pages they are rated for. Even if you print only blank pages.

With more recent models, you have to have it connected to the internet and logged into your HP account.

With all that said, I have an HP Laserjet that I bought 20years ago and still works perfectly, even with counterfeit cartridges. They really don’t make them like they used to.

“Free for life” … :rofl:

I gave it a full 2 second think, how the damn will HP make money … naaa, Caveat Emptor.

Free this, free that … nothing is for free. Toughen up all ye consumer buttercups and smell the roses man.

Yeah, printing blank page counting as a print, is damn near psychotic if you ask me. Hence I try my best for older tech, like you, my HP printer is also > decade old :+1:

Sometimes I wish I can get hold of an old Laserjet 4P or something like that. Those old battleships. Though they are going on 30 years now so probably no longer a good idea.

At my first job we had a Laserjet 4000TN (The N is for network, back then it was an extra option, and the T is for the duplexer, it could print both sides of the page). Anyway, so around 2002 that printer started to give some trouble, and so on the budget for 2003 there was a single important item: A service kit for the Laserjet 4000. It came in a little box, a new fuser unit, some rubber rollers… and after installing the new parts, the printer roared back into life like it was new and printed another 50 000 pages.

I’m sure they still make printers like that. But those printers scare me a little… The generally cost in the 5000 to 7000 bracket, and although you can buy new fuser units, new drums, new everything… any part costs as much as a new printer.

If you do look in that bracket… Lexmark and Brother seems to be the ones to go for.

Edit: Oh yes, I see now the post is about inkjet printers. My bad. My advice… don’t buy an inkjet. Buy a laser. Buy a freeken’ monochrome laser. You don’t need colour as badly as you think you do. Well, maybe you do, but 90% of the time you almost certainly don’t. After the third time my wife insisted we need a colour printer, she told me to follow my own head… I bought a monochrome laser. It works. It lasts. It complains about the non-genuine toner but it runs. And the occasional colour print is done at the print shop 2km down the hill in town…

1 Like

Colour is needed for kids school projects.
Colour is needed for large range shooting targets - so is A3
Colour is needed to print photos.

So ye color is not a option, previously had the colour laser, worked awesome, then when that went bought a Canon/hiher end inkjet, worked great… until it did not… then bought a realllll LOW end Canon, well that has been a disaster, so decide back to HP, always worked well, and inkjet which always work well for photos.
Now if I can only get someone at HPE South Africa to answer their phone.
G

I was on the laser printer bandwagen like @plonkster until the inktank I now have. Not going back.
R2000 for the 2000 page toner vs R120 for the 2000 ink has no comparison. The print quality is great. If something is off you just have to run the head clean or head alighment which we might have to once every 1-2 years.
I find for photos you either have to use a color laser, of the special photo paper, but those don’t last as long (color starts fading after few years) as photos from the photo shop so that is what we prefer.

HP also have Ink tank printers these days which should be similar.

Ye the photo ink going off.
For the original Canon, those photos still looking amazing, the new lower end unit we bought, they look like photos left out in the sun…
so i seems different range printers use different quality inks… with clearly visible results.
G

Ink tank is excellent if you print enough. As in daily. By far the cheapest too. For me it did not work. I don’t print enough, the ink dries up, the heads need cleaning, the “if something is off” part you mention is pretty much every time I wanted to use it. We still have the printer, along with the original ink it came with a decade ago. We stopped using it altogether.

Ditto. I have a LaserJet 1160 that I bought 18 years ago. The plastic has turned yellow with age, but the only “maintenance” I’ve done on it over the years is to wipe the dust off it every once in a while.

2 Likes

The 9xxx and the 7xxx is fundamentally the same platform.

The 7xxx is more expensive due to the fact that it works with A3 and as it has a 2nd paper tray.

Scanning and Printing capability is exactly the same.

G