How the rich world wanted to deal with coal

But this didn’t work…
https://archive.is/1nbIL

1 Like

Renewable supplies of energy, such as solar and wind power, will soon overtake coal-fired power stations to become the world’s largest single source of electricity, according to the International Energy Agency (iea). But when? Having previously said it would be in 2025, the iea now thinks it could happen in 2024, “as a result of the accelerated pace of renewable capacity additions” and “the plateauing of electricity generation from coal”. Adoption of renewables in Europe has been accelerated by the war in Ukraine: eu countries added 41 gigawatts (gw) of solar capacity in 2022, and are expected to add more than 50gw in 2023. China added 107gw of solar capacity in 2022, roughly equivalent to all existing capacity in America, and is expected to have added two Americas’ worth of solar capacity in 2023. Meanwhile, use of coal for generation rose by 1.7% in 2022, as high natural-gas prices prompted gas-to-coal switching. But use of coal in Europe and America in 2023 and 2024 is predicted to drop sharply, more than offsetting a slight increase in Asia.
The Economist

I’ve said this before: That is one good thing that came out of this horrible mess. I mean, I fully understand how that sounds, someone from Ukraine who has lost everything hearing me say “at least that was good for something” would probably yell at me. I get it. I’m not saying the terrible cost is worth it. But at least something good came of it.

So far I cannot say the same for that other war going on in the region. I’m again shaking my head in utter disbelief as to how the media reports only half the story. Make no mistake, in war both sides are probably guilty of doing plenty of bad stuff, but I have yet to see our media cover the bad stuff from the ones whom it is not popular to criticise with nearly the same fervour.

1 Like

The really good news of course is a projected date for renewables to become the biggest energy.
First time I’ve seen a projection to a date and not a thumbsuck…

1 Like